Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the fun challenges of collecting 1/64 diecast cars is displaying them next to each other in an order that minimizes the differences in scale.

The other day while I was making room for some new arrivals, these two beautiful cars temporarily wound up next to each other and I had to record the confrontation. These are two of my favorite cars, and two of my all-time favorite excellent JL castings:

Yikes - it's like Freaky Friday or something...I've driven both of these cars in 1:1 versions, and I've gotta say that imagining a K-G that's taller & wider than a '66 Toronado is pretty funny (and intimidating!)

History says it's do-able; there was a Chrysler/Ghia precurser to the K-G that was close to being a full-sized car, but I can't remember what it was called. Does anyone here remember that car?

·
Registered
343 Posts
That was the Dual Ghia. It was a favorite of the "Rat Pack" types in California and Las Vegas. About the size of a '55 Chrysler 300 coupe and much of the styling cues used in late '50s full sized Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, DeSoto and Imperial two door hardtops. Never have I seen a model of a Dual Ghia - but lots of photos in my car history books. - ranchero -

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ranchero said:
That was the Dual Ghia. It was a favorite of the "Rat Pack" types in California and Las Vegas. About the size of a '55 Chrysler 300 coupe and much of the styling cues used in late '50s full sized Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, DeSoto and Imperial two door hardtops. Never have I seen a model of a Dual Ghia - but lots of photos in my car history books. - ranchero -
Thanks for the answer. The one I'm thinking of is basically the exact bodystyle of the Karmann-Ghia, but built on a Chrysler chassis as an early '50s show car for Chrysler (I assume the styling is by Virgil Exner, although I never realized that before. Apparently Exner designed the K-G!)

EDIT - Here's the one I was thinking of: '53 Chrysler D'Elegance:

I remember Dual-Ghias, too; they always reminded me of the contemporary Plymouths, with that identifibly Exner look...I think I once saw a 1/43 model of the Dual-Ghia years ago, maybe made by Corgi.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm sorry then; I didn't know about a scaled up K-G. It is hard to imagine as the real thing turned out so nicely in the size they built it. I'd like to see a photo of what you are talking about. - ranchero -

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ranchero said:
Oh boy - that car looks great! It sort of reminds me of a Cunningham coupe. - ranchero -
I agree - I'll bet Chrysler could produce it today and it would sell out.

I had forgotten how modern and beautiful it is. We're very lucky that they didn't crush it!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CtotheB said:
Funny, I have a blue riviera but no vw gia, wish I had one in that yellow :thumbsup:
It was in the most recent VW release, last month. I got mine online, but I think they are sold out there. It should show up at TRU & WM soon (I hope). Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts