Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is this. We were having a discussion at the local track last night and some people say they do it every charge, others say they rarely do it and some say they never do it?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
depends on what cell batteries and how far you are discharging them.
We mostly run 2 cell and no one runs them completely dead or even near lipo cut off so they never come out of balance. I went most of the summer with out balance charging any of my 2 cells. I checked the voltage and they were all still with in .002 volts. If your a guy that constantly runs the packs to 3.0 volts per cell I would balance it every couple charges.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
depends on what cell batteries and how far you are discharging them.
We mostly run 2 cell and no one runs them completely dead or even near lipo cut off so they never come out of balance. I went most of the summer with out balance charging any of my 2 cells. I checked the voltage and they were all still with in .002 volts. If your a guy that constantly runs the packs to 3.0 volts per cell I would balance it every couple charges.
myself I run 2 cell batteries, but never come near running them dead. I just do it every few charges, it was just a discussion at our track after the races last night.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I charge my cells with the balancer every time only so I dont have to unplug it from the car and I think balancing your battery every time is like matching cells after every race

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
DSmith you will be fine, I think what sbardy#0 is trying to say is by balance charging them everytime the pack will get the exact voltage into each cell and have a little more mah. He is correct, in my case we run 13.5 Truck class with 5000 mah Lipos. Last race we My Son and I used 700-800 mah from a 5000 mah packs. The cells voltage was the same and I only charges the packs every 2 races :) Lipos do not lose there punch until they fall below 3.0 volts per cell. (The danger zone). If you are running a really hot motor and a aggressive driver than you should be balancing them more often because the cells are running closer to 3.0v.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I balence charge any time I can and its practical.

Regular charging seems to go a little faster and my balence leads are much shorter than my charge leads so If I leave the battery in the car on race day I just regular charge it.

When I get home and pull the batteries I balence charge. You can go 10 runs before balencing usually.

If a battery has a hard run, or was discharged alot I go straight to balence charging.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i balence every time i charged the battery. not matter how hard or soft i run race day or just in the yard playing around. i all so slow charge my lipos by 2 amps less then what most ppl here go for 5000mah lipos seems to last longer as well with the way i run.

·
Registered
420 Posts
From what I have been told and from what I have read.. Balancing every time you charge is not necessary. But you should balance them once in a while just to keep them as close as possible. If getting every bit of performance out of your pack is important to you, Then balance every time you charge. I balance every time I charge..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts