Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd show last months entry from Swifty's monthly

The lighting is a little too bright for the white paint.
An interior shot

I painted the dash and area behind the back seat (what do you call that?) white to match the body.
Different fron the original...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I like that bug a lot. I like the way you've got the springs on it and the 6 spoke rims with lettered tires are sharp. Looks like it could fire up and take off down the beach. :)

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
In case you lost it, my address is...

Ward Wilson
PO Box....

DUDE....Zeb was right, that kicks butt!! Super job, Where did the chassie come from?

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. It won the contest. I think the other entrees came out better myself. I used the original base. Just modified it to work. I learned a neat tip for the springs, just take apart a Bic lighter. Its the spring that pushes the flint up. I still want to add a front brush gaurd. I ran out of time.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Congratulations Bob,
Proud of you Man,
She sure shows a lot of well executed work.

You haven't said anything about paint,
Did you use your new AirBrush???

We do a lot of discussion about Paint, ClearCoat and AirBrushing here on HobbyTalk Customs and I like to take every opportunity to see what people are doing.

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Job Man,

--CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--
Keeping the ZING in CustomiZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did break out the airbrush. But the results were not so hot. The instructions that came with some gold paint I picked up online said to thin 30%. I did the same with the white I took from a rattlecan using your method (great tip!). Maybe I thinned it too much. I didnt run but had "faded" areas. I shot over it with a can. I just need practice I guess. I'll try the brush on my next entree.
Question... How long to you let the first color dry before applying a second color for a two tone paint job?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'll try the brush on my next entree.
Question... How long to you let the first color dry before applying a second color for a two tone paint job?

Where yat Bob,

The answer to your question can depend on the paint used.

Some Rattlecan paints, even when shot through the AirBrush can take days to dry.
If you're doing a fade (no taping) this doesn't matter.
Let the basecoat flash off for a few minutes and just spray the second color.

If you're doing a tape job then the basecoat needs to be thoroughly dry.
Using Automotive paints like HOK and assisting their curing time with my ovens, I can tape the basecoat after 30 minutes and sometimes less.

You just have to be familiar with the paint you're using.

The process of flashing and curing can (maybe) cause the second coat to boil up the underlying basecoat if it is incompatible or if the basecoat is not completely cured.

--CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--
Keeping the ZING in CustomiZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"You just have to be familiar with the paint you're using."

I'm still in the learning stage. At least I'm not afraid of the gun now. It is a cool new toy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts