Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get a couple dents or pits in my 650th(ish) TOS Enterprise last night and found that the CA glue I applied wouldn't cure even when I sprayed accelerant on it. It cured somewhat but not completely like it should have being "kicked", you know? When I tried [wet] sanding, it all kind of came off in a ball of gelatinous goo.

I probably should have let it cure overnight, huh?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Thats odd, I've found that if the glue is old, sometimes its slow to set up. But overnight?...Sorry..I dont know what to recomend other than a bottle of new glue, maybe try a different brand?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Sounds like a bad bottle although I have not encountered any that wouldn't cure with kicker. CA does go bad, whether the bottle is open or not... it does have a finite shelf life.

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
Perhaps there is some residue of something on the model itself?Oils from ones hands can sometimes cause problems.Test the glue on some scrape,to see if is the glue.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
If you get a new bottle of CA and after using it to keep it fresh.Put it in the frig as it will keep it from going bad.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps there is some residue of something on the model itself?Oils from ones hands can sometimes cause problems.Test the glue on some scrape,to see if is the glue.
could be. I didn't clean it after puttying and sanding prior. These are the kinds of sinkholes that can't go away with simple puttying. You know where the big sprue attached to the nacelles? Yeah, a good chunk of kit came off with the sprue despite being careful with trimming and cutting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wanted to get a couple dents or pits in my 650th(ish) TOS Enterprise last night and found that the CA glue I applied wouldn't cure even when I sprayed accelerant on it. It cured somewhat but not completely like it should have being "kicked", you know? When I tried [wet] sanding, it all kind of came off in a ball of gelatinous goo.

I probably should have let it cure overnight, huh?

I've had the thin Zap stuff (pink bottle) do the exact same thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts