Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking back to a parking garage and was in shock when I saw my window broken and my radio stolen. My friend is a cop so maybe he can get fingerprints or something and track down the SOB! :mad:

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
CtotheB said:
I was walking back to a parking garage and was in shock when I saw my window broken and my radio stolen. My friend is a cop so maybe he can get fingerprints or something and track down the SOB! :mad:

Sorry to hear of this...I've nevr had any luck with getting any help when my cars have been broken into, hope your friend can have some extra pull for you

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The stereo was stolen from my Jeep twice, the cops didnt seem to care or do very much at all about. Sorry to hear you got hit too.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Sorry to hear about your missing radio.

The same thing happened to my brother-in-law. He left the faceplate on his stereo; my sister had it installed for him for their anniversary and she forgot to tell him it was removable!!

At least the thief was nice enough to break the smallest window on the car - the fixed rear quarter window on the rear door.

I'm sure the police didn't even pretend it could be recovered; he was parked overnight on a downtown side street.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
sorry to hear that, they are right, police won't do much unless they stumble over somebody with radios in their car. hope you have insurance for this kind of thing. that happens more than you think. Many times it is somebody that you know. nice thought, mmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
390 Posts
CtotheB,
Sorry to hear about your loss. I had the tail lights stolen off my 84 SVO in my driveway. The suspect(s) were quite and had big brass ones! I have 3 Belgian Malinois.

Not trying to defend anyones actions but car stereos are difficult, impossible if you don't have serial and model numbers. These guys usually get caught when they're found w/ several in their possesion. Cars are not the best locations to recover fingerprints. Fingerprints begin to break down from the time they are left. Exposure to the elements will expedite the process. Texturized surfaces like plastics and vinyl aren't the best surfaces for prints. If you have highly polished metal or wood surfaces (like a bank counter) these would be the best locations for prints. Another problem is that your suspects are probably young and may not have prints on file yet.

Now the good news; your's probably wasn't the only one, if enough cars were hit then the police department can justify a surveilence of the parking garage. Are there video cameras in this garage? Do you have to pay to park in this garage? Stealing car stereos isn't a sophisticated crime and these guys will eventually get caught. It's unfortunate that these mutts usually cause twice as much damage as the retail value of the unit. (They're usually lucky if they can get 20% which is why career criminals aren't doing this!)

If you want to do something check flea markets, swap meets, or garage sales. Is this something that might appear on Ebay? My agency recovered a stolen lap top from Ebay.

Last of all be thankful that it wan't the car, or that you didn't surprise them and wind up with a tire iron to the head.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I can join this party!

My Valentines Day present this week was a punched lock and busted dash. I just got estimates yesterday and both came in at $2800.00 dollars - for a $140 radio.

The cops can only laugh. Even if they do catch the person they know nothing will happen at the court level - in Washington you have to steal (and get caught) an entire car SEVEN times to even see any jail time. And if the thief is a minor the worst they get is a ride home from the cops.

If I were King, they would lose their right thumb and index finger (seriously) on the first offense. As a society we allow ourselves to be victims because a few have forgotten that a quick and efficient punishment is the best deterrent...

I'm still feeling the love :mad:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that man! Just before X-Mas I had my window busted and whoever did it tried to get my cd player but they gave up and left it. I was lucky concidering that the window only cost me $100 to fix but it was still a pain in the rear. The cops never found who did it (as if they even tried). hopefully things will work out better for you. Some people are garbage :(

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
my bike was stolen before off my front porch it was a week old... the locos have broken into my jeep and have stolen baseball cards, change, food, whatever, never touch the radio because its a "tape deck"

This spring seasons plan is to hide behind the bush in camo and have my girlfriends bike be bait and catch them SOB's!! I got one of them tasers id like to try out. ZAP ZZAP ZZZAPP

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'am sorry to hear about your car. It's a shame the police don't do their jobs, and investgate the evidence available to them. Today's cops are trained insurance reporters only. I had a person trapped in my car in Oklahoma City, and the cops let him go. They released the thief, because he turned over a drug dealer. Now, I am out of over $1,000.00, from my own pocket, because my deductible was the same amount. Here in Phoenix AZ, my $100,000.00 dollar car was vandalized w/ acrylic paint, and fingerprints showing. No investigation was done, and the police told me to turn it over to my insuarance agent. This time, I'am out of $550.00. Again in AZ, my $32,000.00 Harley was stolen, and police could only tell me, Get w/ your insuarance agent. I'am totally screwed for the total amount. It's a shame that our taxes go for nothing, but aides any criminal activity. Wish you luck.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
On a related note, this morning I noticed the fuel door on my ranger was open...upon further inspection, the locking gas cap was busted apart and $42 of fuel was gone. All the way gone. Like wouldnt even start gone. The police told me I could go down there and file a report, but they wouldnt be able to get a cop out to me until tomorrow during regular business hours. I didnt know police had business hours. Besides, I know it would be just a total waste of my time for a $50 loss

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
sorry to hear of everyone's losses...it stinks...I really despise thiefs.

it got so bad in the town I used to live in,the police wouldn't even come out to the house to take the report,they did the report right there on the phone.That practice tends to make the victim feel very unimportant in the eyes of the law.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts