Hobbyist Forums banner
6,101 - 6,120 of 6,132 Posts
I just joined HT a few days ago and have spent the majority of that time going through this thread, basically because I couldn't stop looking at all of your awesome work and anticipating what you were going to do next. Just amazing! You even made me like certain A/FX bodies that I didn't before, as much as I tried to in the past, so thank you for that and all the incites and techniques you have graciously shared...I may just get those pinstripes on my 442s yet, lol.

Discussion starter · #6,103 ·
I just joined HT a few days ago and have spent the majority of that time going through this thread, basically because I couldn't stop looking at all of your awesome work and anticipating what you were going to do next. Just amazing! You even made me like certain A/FX bodies that I didn't before, as much as I tried to in the past, so thank you for that and all the incites and techniques you have graciously shared...I may just get those pinstripes on my 442s yet, lol.
Welcome aboard and thanks for the good words... Glad you are enjoying my posts...Sorry to say this site is not as active, as it was in the past..Seems most have moved on to Facebook or other places... I still post in here from time to time. Hard to just quit after so many years of posting... If you have a question, I'll be glad to try and help...Thanks again, RM

I do regret missing all your posts as they played out for over a decade and I am glad you're still doing it, and appreciate you getting back to me. I have recently been acquiring vintage Aurora slotcars, along with Tomy and Auto World stuff to replace my collection I lost long ago. I now have 2 models I hadn't had before: Too Much and Turbo Turn-On, which is weird because they were plentiful back in the day, but understandable because I prefer more realistic cars. That being said, I'm liking these cars more and more and have ideas to mod them out which will take some casting and modeling skills that your thread is really going to help me with. Also, I got an Aurora Jaguar off rEpay that someone botched the wheel wells on just enough to have to fix em. I really like what you did with one of yours. I guess the 1st question would be is if you had any castings to sell, especially of that '66(?) 'vette you posted about 6 months back. Idk if this is the proper forum for that, but I'm new, lol. Thanks, Duncan...
P.S. I tried to look in the "sell" section for info to no avail. Give Asphalt a pat for me next time you see him.

Discussion starter · #6,105 ·
I do regret missing all your posts as they played out for over a decade and I am glad you're still doing it, and appreciate you getting back to me. I have recently been acquiring vintage Aurora slotcars, along with Tomy and Auto World stuff to replace my collection I lost long ago. I now have 2 models I hadn't had before: Too Much and Turbo Turn-On, which is weird because they were plentiful back in the day, but understandable because I prefer more realistic cars. That being said, I'm liking these cars more and more and have ideas to mod them out which will take some casting and modeling skills that your thread is really going to help me with. Also, I got an Aurora Jaguar off rEpay that someone botched the wheel wells on just enough to have to fix em. I really like what you did with one of yours. I guess the 1st question would be is if you had any castings to sell, especially of that '66(?) 'vette you posted about 6 months back. Idk if this is the proper forum for that, but I'm new, lol. Thanks, Duncan...
P.S. I tried to look in the "sell" section for info to no avail. Give Asphalt a pat for me next time you see him.
I've done so many, not sure which Vette you are referring to...can you send me a thread Post # number and what page# you saw it on... again, not many hang around here anymore, so ask away...

Then it's definitely to my benefit this site has slowed down, but I know what you mean; a lot of people have gone away for one reason or another, which is sad, and all the more reason that I appreciate you being here. The 'vette I was referring to is on post #6040 (page 302)...the Barracuda on # 5982 (page 300) would be cool, too.
The 1st casting I'm going to attempt is of a '71 Cutlass Wagon (I love Vista Cruisers), then a '55 Chevy Delivery; both of their wheel wells should line up with a 4-Gear. I also need to fab a replacement back window for a Tyco GM stocker Aerocoupe...I saw your drawer full of those, lol, although most weren't Aerocoupes, at least one was.
Now, on a technical note, I'm going to try your method of spraying clear lacquer over decals (sparingly, initially) so it doesn't "melt" them...does it help to spray the decal sheet 1st, or should I wait until after they're placed on the car? I'm glad I found a source for 442 decals because I don't think I could pull off the side pinstripes any other way, no matter how experienced I may become, lol.
I believe that's all for now, and thank you SO MUCH for your time and knowledge expended in helping me with my pursuit. Rollin'...missing the "Bob Zilla Show"...Olds

Discussion starter · #6,107 ·
Then it's definitely to my benefit this site has slowed down, but I know what you mean; a lot of people have gone away for one reason or another, which is sad, and all the more reason that I appreciate you being here. The 'vette I was referring to is on post #6040 (page 302)...the Barracuda on # 5982 (page 300) would be cool, too.
The 1st casting I'm going to attempt is of a '71 Cutlass Wagon (I love Vista Cruisers), then a '55 Chevy Delivery; both of their wheel wells should line up with a 4-Gear. I also need to fab a replacement back window for a Tyco GM stocker Aerocoupe...I saw your drawer full of those, lol, although most weren't Aerocoupes, at least one was.
Now, on a technical note, I'm going to try your method of spraying clear lacquer over decals (sparingly, initially) so it doesn't "melt" them...does it help to spray the decal sheet 1st, or should I wait until after they're placed on the car? I'm glad I found a source for 442 decals because I don't think I could pull off the side pinstripes any other way, no matter how experienced I may become, lol.
I believe that's all for now, and thank you SO MUCH for your time and knowledge expended in helping me with my pursuit. Rollin'...missing the "Bob Zilla Show"...Olds
let's start with the decals...any bought decals susch as RRR, Slix, or company decals should be ok to appy to the car, then clear with lacquer. I use clear "lacquer" so if you use enamel clear, you might want to test first. Apply some "junk" decals to a diecast, then try out the clear... It's always good to test... I usally prime my body, apply lacquer base color, then some clear coats. Let that dry overnight. Then I use some Softscrub and give the body a light wash/scrub with an old toothbrush, apply my decals, let dry, then spray on some clear lacquer to seal... the soft wash/scrub kind of etches the body, helps your decals stay in place/stick better. I do still have some of the Vettes and Cudas... the Vettes fit an AFX magnatraction chassis, the Cuda fits a four gear type chassis. bodies are 12.00 each... add 4.00 S&H for shipping... Uh, Bob... a different kind of human...zilla is a cool guy...!!! RM

Loaded up on the lacquer paint and clear coat last night...TM wanted a purple car, so I'll probably use that for my test subject, lol...no, I'm for sure gonna get hers nice, she puts up with me. I had gleaned from your earlier posts about how to prep the surface for decal placement, so again I thank you for your incite. I pulled the trigger on a chrome paint pen for doing window and wheel well trim, so I'll see how that plays out. What works best to strip lacquer paint up if I need to start over? Is acetone too harsh? And Pine-Sol works on original A/FX?
About your bodies...that's awesome and I'm down for one of each. I have chassis for the bodies. One of my favorite cars is the Peace Tank for some reason; it's big, bulky and top heavy, but it's fun to drive and clears the track up well when there's a pile up and its not time to get my butt up and retrieve vehicles. I guess PM for the details in obtaining the bodies from you...it's awesome you have them available.

Great freaking paint job and love how good the decals look! I have trouble applying one little US white star to my army trucks and I can’t imagine the patients you have to apply ALL those decals. I wish my clear comes out as deep as yours. Another amazing quality build!

Would love to find that in a Maisto die cast! I've only run across one by Matchbox a few years back. A great transformation on this one!

Do you have plans for one of the Maisto (or have you already done one of their) CLK GTR bodies?. Would love to see what you do (or did) with it.

Discussion starter · #6,117 ·
Would love to find that in a Maisto die cast! I've only run across one by Matchbox a few years back. A great transformation on this one!

Do you have plans for one of the Maisto (or have you already done one of their) CLK GTR bodies?. Would love to see what you do (or did) with it.
I bought an extra body just in case...I'll look at the condition of it...if I don't forget...!!!

6,101 - 6,120 of 6,132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.