Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Murray Ultra 20 HP Twin 46" riding mower, Model # 46102x6A. The engine is a Briggs & Stratton 20 HP Twin II, I/C Plus, Model # 460777, Type 2277E1. It was left behind when I bought my home last fall, well the neighbor was keeping the lawn mowed while it was for sale. He said one day he was mowing and it suddenly lost alot of power, he changed the plugs but didn't want to put anymore time into it.

I tested the compression in the right cylinder and it is 115, the left is 0. I opened the head on that one, and to my surprise I found a metal seal/gasket/sleeve (not sure what to call it) around the top valve. I have included a picture, I can get my camera to take a pic if it'll be helpful, only had my camera phone on me.

As you can see, it has ground some metal off around the right and bottom edges of the top of the head around the valve, from being run in this condition. I'm not sure if it has damaged the bottom of the valve, or even bent it.

I was wondering how this sleeve seats in the valve area, just press in or is it fastened somehow. Do you think I might get lucky and just be able to press this back in and start mowing? Or will this be a big rebuild job, I have never completely taken a motor apart.

Thanks for all the help.

Rob

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is something that should be take to small engine shop for repair. The seat maybe replaced if the block is not damaged to bad. The valve also needs to be replaced and lapped into new seat. Since you mentioned you have never taken a motor apart its doutful you would have the tools to do this correctly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
toms right, if youve never taken apart a engine i would just go to a small engine repair center =) when he "lost alot of power" it was probably that only one cylinder was working.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
The valve seats are pressed into the block at the factory. If it was run much at all with the seat loose it may have caused damage to the block where the seat is installed. You may or may not be able to install a new seat in the block, as was stated earlier a small engine service center may be the best choice to install a new valve seat for you.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, at least I know what its called now. I'm going to go and talk to the guy at the repair shop tomorrow, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts