Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
B&S Model 18542 Fuel Issues

This motor is on a generator, and I am having trouble starting it. It is getting spark, and the compression is right around 55psi. I can get it to spit and sputter but it won't run any longer than 3 or 4 seconds. This makes me think it is a carb problem. I know it sat for about 7 months, so I drained the fuel and refilled with fresh. I then removed the float bowl and used a wire and carb cleaner to make sure all of the passages were clear. The only one I couldn't get wire through was the left passage on the carb throat. It felt like it was too small for the wire. The main jet is completely clear and I can actually fit the straw for the carb cleaner all the way through it. I also checked the fuel lines (gravity feed) and they all flow fine. I took a gander at the float needle and it didn't look swollen to me. Now it is dumping entirely too much fuel into the motor. It is leaking gas through the air filter and is backfiring through the carb! What should my next step be???

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Check that you reassembled the needle valve and the float correctly if your barfing gas into the air cleaner. Did you inadvertantly flip over the needle valve shut off lever when you repinned it? This will not allow the valve to close properly, seriously overfilling the bowl. Be sure to chage your airfilter or at least dry it out.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Hi Cary, I would never come right out and say that!, as I dont have your carb in my hand. LOL. You have an overflow problem following a bowl removal/carb cleaning. I've seen it alot and done it myself on occasion when distracted. Flipped floats? You betcha! Some can and some cant be assembled upside down. Could be bound on the mounting pin. The slightest corrosion on the float pin can stick a float. Is the hookybob on the needle itself installed correctly. Try it again and good luck BH

·
Registered
19 Posts
So are you saying you did not replace the needle valve seat????.
May be a needle valve seat not set all the way down,,,or upside down?.
If you took the needle out and stuck something down there to make sure it was clear thinking it was clogged,,ie: only running for a few seconds,,,you may have disturbed the seat,,,,recheck the seat ,,,,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill Hall said:
Hi Cary, I would never come right out and say that!, as I dont have your carb in my hand. LOL. You have an overflow problem following a bowl removal/carb cleaning. I've seen it alot and done it myself on occasion when distracted. Flipped floats? You betcha! Some can and some cant be assembled upside down. Could be bound on the mounting pin. The slightest corrosion on the float pin can stick a float. Is the hookybob on the needle itself installed correctly. Try it again and good luck BH
Oh goodnes. I wasn't questioning you. I was just making sure that by valve lever you were refering to the float itself... Sorry

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
I'm Sorry

If I sounded like a grumpy old fart, It's cuz I are one. :p But I try not to write like one. My apologies. :( Generally all floats install with the mass of the floats down. Like motorcycle saddle bags. On the little tang on the float, what I called the float lever, there's usually a wear mark from the needle base rubbing on it. On occasion I have seen floats that seemingly or will mount either way(only one way is correct) so I always look for the little imprint that the needle makes. Over the years I have any number of fire breathing "carb gysers". As I said previously, some of them were my own undoing, and usually following one of my incurrsions into the float bowl, or a monster glob/chunk of contaminent that I unwittingly unleashed from the fuel tank. As long as you were gentle with your cleaning probes there should be no ill effects to the seat. Take the bowl apart again, clean it again, and reassem. Please let us know how it turns out. BH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts