Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine is an Intek 17 hp in Troybilt tractor, about 10 years old. It blew out a lot of white smoke so I shut it down. I dug into it today. Symptoms include: fuel drained out of the cylinder when the plug was pulled, oil was very thin-full of fuel. Every since I got it it would backfire on shut off. I've also had a problem starting this thing for years, it would begin to crank then stop. Thought this was a low battery. But, a month ago I dug into this and pulled the plug and about 8 oz of fuel drained out. I checked the carb. The shutoff solenoid seems work work fine. But, still fuel is running into the cylinder and into the crankcase while it is off. Looking at other posts here, they suggest a needle value problem. Is that right? If the fuel shut off is working how can fuel keep flowing into the cylinder after it is off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The fuel cut-off solenoid does not stop fuel from entering the float bowl, It only stops fuel from entering the main jet to reduce back firing on shut down.

Clean the float needle valve seat with carb & choke cleaner sprayed on a Q-tip then replace the float needle valve to stop the flooding.

For back-firing, Either shut down at half throttle or above or let the engine idle for a minute before shut down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts