Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I lust recently installed a new ignition coil and now I can't get the engine to start. I think it is a wiring problem. It will fire initially but won't start. What is the extra wire coming out of the coil for. There is the spark plug wire but the other one? Any help would be appreciated. I am also wondering if it has points. it is a 1982 snowblower. I think it is the original engine.
Here's the specs:
Briggs and Stratton (Magnatron?)
8 HP
Model #: 190412

I am especially looking for a wiring diagram. :)

Please hurry!! I am getting a lot of snow :wave:

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
One wire is the high tension lead and goes to the spark plug, the other should be a kill switch lead and when grounded to the engine block should short the primary winding of the coil and cause the spark to stop being generated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if I just disconnect the other one it should work fine. Do I even need the other one or should I connect it to the key/ignition wire.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
If you remove the grounding wire then you will have no way to turn the engine off when you are finished. It should be connected to a switch that grounds out when turned off. Most key switches have a connection that grounds when turned off, just make sure when it is turned on that no power (i.e. 12 volts) is sent to the coil as that will destroy the ignition module.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts