Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual that came with my 14.5-horse 28000-series engine says to operate it at 3600 RPM, but the most I can get is 3180, even with no load. Is there an adjustment for the top speed? If so, can I reach it without pulling the cowl off of the engine? I shift gears while I'm moving, so there is no way to operate it at the same RPM all of the time. but I can use a lower gear and higher RPM if it is better for the engine. If it doesn't hurt anything, I can leave it at 3180, but I want to make sure that it would be the right thing to do. Might it give me more alternator output?

-MM

·
Registered
128 Posts
If this a riding mower around 3200 rpm is normal.Generators are one of the few things that need to operate at 3600 rpm.
If you need to speed it up you can bend the tab the govenor spring hooks to on the throttle control.This will be located next to the carb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I found that linkage and I think I know what to do now. I want to increase the output of that permanent-magnet alternator that is built in, and see if I can squeeze another amp or two out of it, because I have so many electrical loads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the alternator rated for the increased load/rpm's?
hehe Maybe one of you guys can tell me. I just cut the diode off of the plug and ran both wires into a half-wave rectifier. I really didn't do any research on whether or not I was supposed to do that, but I did find that if I used the full wave, I got 28 volts. Fascinating stuff there.

The big loads are intermittent, hydraulic pump and winch, mainly. If I don't use either one, and just drive it, the voltage will come up, even with the Whelen strobe and two wash pack headlights on, which is about 6 amps. I don't have an ammeter in it, but maybe I should add one. And therein is the problem...I just keep adding stuff onto this crane, and I'm milking the poor flywheel alternator to death, I think.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
There are different alternator's available for your engine. Typically the highest output you would be able to achieve without replacing the flywheel will be 10 amps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much could I get if I replaced the flywheel? The only alternatives I can think of are to redesign the drive train to accomodate an automotive-type alternator, or putting it on a battery charger every day.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
There are 20 amp alternators available, I don't know if it's an option for your particular engine or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it's time to contact B&S on that one, and see if the parts are available. An external alternator might be easier. The problem is, I have a Comet clutch driver on the engine, no double pulley like a mower would have, but maybe a pulley could be attached to the clutch. For a 130-amp alternator, it might be worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts