Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an MTD Lawn tractor that wouldnt start after sitting for the winter. I replaced the battery and got it running. After about 5 minutes of mowing it stalled and would not turn over (problem 1) I went to push it into the garage and the rear wheels seemed to be locked. (problem 2)

Problem 1
I smelled a funky electrical smell right after it died so I figured I must have let the smoke out of something. I checked around and couldnt really find anything wrong. I found a 20A fuse and saw that it was blown so I replaced it and it turned over and started. I killed it and saw some smoke rising from the "spinny thing" on the engine. Checking around I could see a set of wires that go up under the flyweel. I started taking it apart and am stuck now trying to get the flyweel off. I have to puck up a puller in the morning. I am assuming that there is some kind of generator up under there that has shorted but I'd love to hear the opinions of some more seasoned engine folk.

Problem 2
I lifted the tractor and put it on some jack stands with the rear end in the air. If I spin a wheel in one direction, the other will spin the oposite. I cand seem to get both to turn in the same direction. If I try to push it they seem locked. This is just wierd. When It died It was in 3rd gear moving along....

Any advice would be sincerly appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dave it sounds like you had a critter (mouse) get under the flywheel and chew on the wiring shorting the alternator.

As for problem 2 there is no problem, this normal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tommy. Once I get the flywheel off, I'll get that alternator replaced. The issue with the rear end though is baffleing... I know you say it's normal but I have had this thing for about 4 years and have had to push it from time to time. I never had a problem with that, Today i had to push this thing while lifting the rear end all the way to the garage... I guess tomorrow will tell. If I cant get a new alternator right away, can I just disconnect it?

·
Registered
668 Posts
As for your rear end problem this happened to me once also. Check to make sure you are in neutral. Make sure the linkage is moving freely. The wheels will turn in opisite directions when you lift it and turn just one wheel.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Check the brake and make sure it is not sticking, could have some corrosion on it and may not be releasing good.

The differential drive allows the wheels to turn independently of each other and when you rotate one the other will spin in the opposite direction and this is normal.

If it is difficult to push then it is either not going into a neutral position with the gear selector or the brake is stuck.

·
Registered
750 Posts
i had one like that.. spun diff directions, just put in neutral and i would check for shorting and if that dont work get another starter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts