Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not knowing all things LIS, I've seen the robot B-9 also called YM-3. Why is this? What are the differences?

Just curious. :confused:

hal9001-

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
B-9 is the LIS designation, as is GUNTHER (forgot what the initials stand for). YM-3, I've seen on the Masudaya 16" robot. I think it's a get around for copyright reasons. This is conjecture on my part.

Otherwise, physically, there aren't any differences, except details and how well they are rendered.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Japan has always been notorious for getting around copyright legalities, YM3 was their way of doing that with the Robot. The title "Lost in Space" does not appear on the packaging for either the large or small version, just "Robot YM-3"!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Also, in one of the year 2 episodes ("The Colonists" I think) the robot said he was "a robot of the class M-3". Maybe that's where YM-3 was derived from.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Good lord, it's been so long since I've thought of this. If I recall correctly, in Japan the Robot was called 'Friday'. Localization of American programs was pretty goofy back in those days.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Good lord, it's been so long since I've thought of this. If I recall correctly, in Japan the Robot was called 'Friday'. Localization of American programs was pretty goofy back in those days.
I lived in Tokyo in the mid 80's and LIS was on the air one night a week-and the picture was fabulous! Anyway, the dialog was Japanese and English but not on my TV. I recorded some episodes for fun and played them at the studio. They were showing season 2 at the time. The translator at the studio told me that the Robot was called Friday and M-3 in two different episodes-The Ghost Planet being one of them. The voice box in the Masadaya robot, which when it came out in '86 was $75.00 US is the voice of the two actors playing Smith and the Robot I forget what the translator said the voices were saying but it was basically Smith insulting the Robot and the Robot rebuffing with a zinger of his own.
The shop was a small hobby shop inside a small department store and there were racks and racks of this Robot available as well as the little wind up version! Guess where my per diem ended up every week?
Someone in the shop had even built from scratch a 24 inch tall exact replica of the robot in wonderful detail with all the lights in his bubble and chest. They wanted something like 2 thousand dollars for it, but I couldn't swing that amount at that time. I also had no place to put it...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I happend upon a couple of those little wind-up ones in a local shop not too long ago (at least I think these are the ones you refer to). They have YM3 on the box. Bought them all - even the ones that appeared to be missing some parts. I plan on keeping one original and repainting one of the others. Neat little guys...

Mark in Okinawa

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I happend upon a couple of those little wind-up ones in a local shop not too long ago (at least I think these are the ones you refer to). They have YM3 on the box. Bought them all - even the ones that appeared to be missing some parts. I plan on keeping one original and repainting one of the others. Neat little guys...

Mark in Okinawa
They had a Robby version as well! Neat little guys are right!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I lived in Tokyo in the mid 80's and LIS was on the air one night a week-and the picture was fabulous! Anyway, the dialog was Japanese and English but not on my TV. I recorded some episodes for fun and played them at the studio. They were showing season 2 at the time. The translator at the studio told me that the Robot was called Friday and M-3 in two different episodes-The Ghost Planet being one of them. The voice box in the Masadaya robot, which when it came out in '86 was $75.00 US is the voice of the two actors playing Smith and the Robot I forget what the translator said the voices were saying but it was basically Smith insulting the Robot and the Robot rebuffing with a zinger of his own.
The shop was a small hobby shop inside a small department store and there were racks and racks of this Robot available as well as the little wind up version! Guess where my per diem ended up every week?
Someone in the shop had even built from scratch a 24 inch tall exact replica of the robot in wonderful detail with all the lights in his bubble and chest. They wanted something like 2 thousand dollars for it, but I couldn't swing that amount at that time. I also had no place to put it...
What a great cool history. I love that stuff. My memories are of being about 5 years old and watching LiS, along with Johnny Sokko and Ultraman on UHF channel 52 in Kansas City. They had all the weird sci/fi and Friday Fright Night movies and what-not.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I still have mine from the mid-90's, $75, IIRC. The clear plastic suffers from major yellowing and the voice grill broke somewhere along the line.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I still have mine from the mid-90's, $75, IIRC. The clear plastic suffers from major yellowing
OOhh, it's yellowed- does it spend much time in the light? Or is it kept in a box or closet?
You see, my theory is that the plastic naturally contracts microscopically over time causing the 'yellowing'. Ambient /direct UV exposure partially re-creates original inter-molecular distance allowing for restored transparency.
Yeah, I grew up on Treknobabble...:wave:

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Yes, Chrisisall, the poor Robot has been in a de-motivated stasis chamber for a long time. Much oxygen contamination to the crystal structures! I'll try your idea of solar molecular reconstruction and see if the interatomic lattices can be restored.... :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts