Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - i use an Aztek A320 airbrush for priming my kits, i use it as my local store has stopped selling rattle can primer - i got the brush new and only owned it a few months, and only used it around 8 times.. Up until today it was working really well!.. infact i wish i had got one sooner for primer on kits.. but today after the top coat of paint was sprayed, the spray stopped and bubbles appear in the side feed cup!!..
i took the nozzle the needle, centre out and cleaned with thinners, then applied a little lube as directed in an aztek forum... but still the thing is blowing back??.. there is a good steady airflow comming from the tip and it appears not to be damaged in any way?... anyone got any ideas?..

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Ian, check to make sure all the fittings are tight. Sounds like your brush is sucking air and sending it back through the cup. I'm not familiar with the Aztec line, but if it has a multipart cap make suer all is tight. That's what it sounds like to me. I have a Paasche that's bad about that and had to put teflon tape around the cap to prevent it. You shouldn't be haveing that problem though with such a new brush.

If it has an o-ring check to make sure it's not compromised. And make sure you've not lost one in cleaning too. But you've got a leak somehwere for sure. Check again and make sure you don't have a clog in any of the areas where air flows.

Hope this was some help.

hal9001-

·
Registered
651 Posts
Check to make sure the nozzel is not clogged. Then check to make sue the nozzel is tight on the body paying particular attention to the small o ring washer. For some reason, Testors has stopped providing this washer with new nozzels. This makes no sense at all. Testors provides a small too to tighten the nozzel but take care not to overtighten it. Also check the psi that you are using. Too high and it could cause leakage or damage. I usually spray between 5-10 psi.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the answers, dreadnaught you spray between 5-10 psi??... i have my compressor on 20?.. as the instructions with the airbrush said to use 20-25 psi?.... i don't have an 'o' ring washer on it either?..wonder if thats the problem!.. will look into why i didn't recieve one..

·
Registered
651 Posts
I spray closer to 10 psi and find it gives a much smoother action. 10 psi may be too high and could cause leakage. I have e-mailed Testors about the lack of o ring washers about a month ago but they have not responded.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,382 Posts
Mine was blowing bubble too last week. I think I got either a bad nozzle, or the paint was clogging the nozzle. I switched nozzles and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will order a new nozzel, just cant understand why it would be working fine one moment and just stopped the next?.. there is a steady stream of air comming from the tip as well?.. maybee the needle got bend some how?..

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tried everything stripped the gun down, the needle, soaked in cleaner, there is a really good airflow comming from the tip - just no paint, as soon as the side pot is connected the bubbles start to appear in the pot??... so to me there is no blockage??... think the bin is calling!!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Ian, buddy, hate to tell you, but you're on your own! I don't know what else to suggest.

Do you have a schematic? Still sounds like you may have a missing seal/0-ring? That's all I can think of.

The bubbles are a sure sign of the brush sucking air from some where. If you have a removeable tip/cap, try what I suggested with the teflon tape. That's all I've got to offer.

Best of luck!

hal9001-

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
many thanks, ive opened up the body of the brush and cleaned all internal parts, the needle tip is moving very freely.. when i press the top trigger the needle is moving no problem.. air is flowing out.. but still no paint!.. ive even tried water on its own!... nothing??... just bubbles, this is just plain wierd!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I've never disassembled an Aztec but from my experience with my Iwata and Badger if you are getting bubbling in the cup it means that air is reverse flowing from the nozzle back up the cup. When using my airbrushes when that happens it means the nozzle is clogged and so the air trying to get out the nozzle is blocked and backs up coming out the cup. For mine usually I just swab the needle tip with a brush moistened with paint remover to clean the dried up paint off the needle. Now with yours that is not the case and my biggest suspicion is that your nozzle is clogged. I have cleaned my nozzles, or thought I had cleaned them by soaking them in paint remover, only to find after I tried using them that they were still clogged. Lately when cleaning a nozzle I soak it, scrub the inside with one of those small q-tip like brushes, and then finally I very carefully "ream" out the inside of the nozzle with the needle. I frequently find when doing that that old dried up paint comes out the tip. You want to do it carefully to prevent damage to the nozzle or the needle. Acrylic paints really magnify this problem as they will dry hard inside the nozzle and you can't see that it is clogged so you just have to do this blindly. My latest problem is with my really fine tipped Badger Renegade. The nozzle is extremely small in outlet diameter as well as physically. You could lose it in a second. However lately I cannot get good airflow from the brush. I believe it is a trigger problem that it is not depressing the valve far enough. I am taking it to Wonderfest to show it to the Badger guys.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Are you using a color cup or bottle? If you are using a bottle, make sure the little hole on the top is not clogged and if so clean it out. If clogged this would definately prevent paint flow. Also, not a good idea to open up the Aztec body. There is no need for it. Unlike Badgers and other internal mix airbrushes, the paint mixes in the nozzel and never enters the airbrush body. The only cleaning which may be needed is where the nozzle screws into the body and Testors provides a tool for this.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dreadnaught726 i took the body apart as there is an aztek forum that said to do that as a last resort, as sometimes paint can backflow into the inside.. so i opened it up and cleaned all the inside, but to tell the truth it was very clean inside.. so its now been retired.. i tried everything i could think of and everyones sugestions on here and another airbrush forum.. and nothing seemed to work?... my other dual airbrush works no problem, but its a traditional brush... not a plastic nozzle Testors type... the only other thing i might have been able to do is to send it to be looked at by a proffesional..

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am sorry to hear you have had no luck solving this proble. It is a shame you took the body apart since Testors has a lifetime gaurantee on the body and will replace it free. Very rarely does paint backwash into the body and I am sure your poblem is with the nozzel. Since taking the body apart you probably voided the warranty. You could try sending it back to Testors and see what happens. You never know. One question, does this problem occur with different nozzles? When it bubbles up, is there air coming out of the front of the nozzel? If there is, than your problem may be a clog or defective nozzle. I have had some defective nozzles on occassion.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
will order a new nozzel, just cant understand why it would be working fine one moment and just stopped the next?.. there is a steady stream of air comming from the tip as well?.. maybee the needle got bend some how?..

those nozzles from Testors can be taken apart cleaned and put back together, I know because I do just that when I clean mine after painting. also what type of paint are you running through your airbrush???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts