Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Progress on USS Reliant

I am not sure if this looks quite right, but I have never done the USS Reliant's Aztec pattern. The camera makes it look more blue. Tell me what ya think.

Here's a pic where you can see the aztec of the reliant

This is the studio model

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm not sure if it looks "right". But I personally like it! In two colors you've managed to simulate the multi-tonal randomness effect of different colors ala EXCELSIORs scheme. The head on shot looks good. What was your method?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I first sprayed (airbrush) a base coat, (mix of Light Ghost Gray and flat white). Then, I made some templates in photoshop with help from Omni, he showed me the correct "Aztec". I also took a look at the studio model on the visual effects portion of the Wrath Of Khan Directors edition DVD (aztec). Anyway, I then bought some Magic Cover, used to line the insides of drawers and cut out the templates. I first printed the templates on regular printer paper, and taped them to this Magic Cover. 2 hours and a half later, I was done cutting them out. I then mixed Light Ghost Grey with Flat white until I got a color that was nearly the same, just a tad darker. I did several coats over the "Aztec" portion, to give it a raised effect. I haven't sprayed it with clear (semi gloss) yet. I still have a lot of work left, including the bottom portions of the hull. Do you think I should spray the whole think with clear. If so, gloss or semi gloss?

Here are some pictures of the Procedure:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Very nice. Well done!

Have you noticed any residue left over after you remove the frisket paper?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I didn't use Frisket Paper, I used Magic Cover, lining for shelfs and drawers. There was no residue left over, I wish it was more adhesive actually. This stuff really works, it's easy to cut out and isn't that sticky, the only problem I encountered was the airbrush sometimes blew the stuff up and paint went in areas I didn't want it to go, but I touched it up and will touch it up some more. Anyway, if there is an alternative to Frisket this stuff is it. Thanks all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your Reliant looks great. I like the slightly darker look -- that seems the way the model in the movie was lit in most shots.

I heard this story and I don't know if it is true, but someone "in-the-know" told me that Reliant was originally painted white like the Enterprise and that someone fairly high up worried that the two ships would be confused and demanded a new paint job. The Reliant was then painted a light blue with the darker blue accents. Ironically, in most of the shots in the movie, due to lighting and other factors, the ship does not look particularly blue.

A partial verification of the change in color is seen in the various pictures of the model. In particular, there is a picture in the extra features part of TWOK in which the model is very clearly white. Yet, pictures I've seen in the book The Art of Star Trek, the model is very much blue -- more than just a duck egg blue, more like a sky blue. The model retained this paint job for its various incarnations on TNG.

Speaking of which, the Enterprise D in Next Gen was originally painted light blue and green -- but later looked like it was toned down to a light grey. Again, a lot of this effect is due to lighting, film stocks, etc. How a model looks and how it appears on film are two different things.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
1-7-07

Todays progress

(appears darker blue/gray then it really is)
--I have yet to do the aztec up there yet--

I didn't get a lot of time to work on it today since I was working all day, but I ended up mixing some blues grays and believe it or not a red to get the color I was looking for. I was trying to base that blue/gray the way it looked on the movie.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Nosirrag said:
Your Reliant looks great. I like the slightly darker look -- that seems the way the model in the movie was lit in most shots.

I heard this story and I don't know if it is true, but someone "in-the-know" told me that Reliant was originally painted white like the Enterprise and that someone fairly high up worried that the two ships would be confused and demanded a new paint job. The Reliant was then painted a light blue with the darker blue accents. Ironically, in most of the shots in the movie, due to lighting and other factors, the ship does not look particularly blue.

A partial verification of the change in color is seen in the various pictures of the model. In particular, there is a picture in the extra features part of TWOK in which the model is very clearly white. Yet, pictures I've seen in the book The Art of Star Trek, the model is very much blue -- more than just a duck egg blue, more like a sky blue. The model retained this paint job for its various incarnations on TNG.

Speaking of which, the Enterprise D in Next Gen was originally painted light blue and green -- but later looked like it was toned down to a light grey. Again, a lot of this effect is due to lighting, film stocks, etc. How a model looks and how it appears on film are two different things.
Yes you are right with them thinking the ship would get confused with the enterprise. I believe I also heard that they re did the paint job--they also said they used different lighting (such as the red lighting on the bridge you see in one shot). The shot of the reliant at the top of my first post in this topic is a shot where the aztec is clearly visible and you can tell the paint job is different then the enterprise as well.

You are also right when you say a model looks compleatly different if you compare it to normal lighting to the movie version--its got something to do with the bluescreening they did, omnimodel might know a little more since he researched it. I am not familar with the process of bluescreening on film. I am familar with the blue and green screening of today (the easier way :) ). My only logical explanation of why the ship appeared more gray is because they shot with blue screen, once they filtered out the blue--however they do it some blue on the model could have been pulled off because they filtered all blue on the backdrop but maybe some other shades of blue went with that. The ship was painted a blueish color but one can not see this do to the way they pulled the blue--turned out more gray (just my guess). Or its got more to do with the negative and the chemicals they used. Anyway I could go on and on. Thanks for your knowledge. I also have the special features, maybe I will watch that again and find out more. Anyway I still dont understand why they would think people would get confused, big difference in appearence. I think people would pick it up.

Tomorrow I think I will get the base coat air brushed on the other parts and do some brush work and maybe even get the lighting system up and running, will see. I will have pictures if anyone is intrested in seeing. Thanks again for the kind replies. Anybody know what the aztec pattern is below the photon cannon. Posted an update a post up ^...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks prowler,

1-8-07

Progress as of today:

Looks darker than it really is. Anyway, I made my own Aztec pattern for the top sections, I think it looks alright. I painted red around the dark sections, because the decals for those sections look horrible. I think I will finish the Aztec around the bridge up (should have done that first..oh well.) and then drill the holes for the windows. Need to touch up the red around the dark areas.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts