Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to shorten axles? I want to attempt a few customs and really want to use a set of wheels but the axle is too long. Also is there a place where you could purchase JL or HW real rider tires on rims?

Thanks,
Morris

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I usually measure the axle then cut the excess off with a dremel fitted with a cutting wheel. As far as wheel sets go, the last time I saw any for sale was on the net at a German hobby shop. I don't remember the name of the site. :confused:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Which wheels are you trying to use? If they are JL or HW wheels I cut the axle in the middle. I then shorten them to length and use a piece of small diameter aluminum tubing that I purchased from Hobby Lobby. Insert the axle into the tubing and crimp the tubing to the axle. Some chassis axle slots have to be dredged to get the tubing to fit. I have also used this method to set the axles a little higher up to give the car a dropped look. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
985 Posts
96gsfanWhich wheels are you trying to use? If they are JL or HW wheels I cut the axle in the middle. I then shorten them to length and use a piece of small diameter aluminum tubing that I purchased from Hobby Lobby. Insert the axle into the tubing and crimp the tubing to the axle. Some chassis axle slots have to be dredged to get the tubing to fit. I have also used this method to set the axles a little higher up to give the car a dropped look. Hope this helps.
Thank you !!! i needed that tip :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can also check the fishing department at Wally's, they have ultra small tubes about 1/4 to 3/8 in legth and just the right diameter for an axle to slip right into . The axles can then either be crimped or super glued in. They're in the fishing department with all the lead weights and lures and stuff. Then just follow what 96gsfan said and you're ready to go......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
One other thing....If they are jada or maisto you can pull off one wheel and use a wire cutter to nip it so size. Then soem super glue to hold said tire back on. Or if it has to be bigger then get some brass or aluminum rod the correct diameter. Once again wire cutter for correct size and super glue. I use super glue gell, kinda holds it's spot better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts