Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, this is probably an old question that's already been asked and answered 100's of times, or maybe archived as a chart somewhere. But I'm too lazy to look tonight.
So here goes... Whats the acceptable axle diameter for T-Jets ? The reason I ask is, I just got an aftermarket threaded axle from a fellow forum member here, and mic'd it out to .059 dia. But when I mike out(with my precision Fowler Caliper) my Aurora T-Jet Axles I come up with either .061 - .0615 or .062 But when I mike out AutoWorld Tuffy Axles, I come up with .057 !
So whats the deal ? What are the Specs supposed to be for a T-Jet ? And while I'm asking, whats the Specs for Tomy AFX rear axles ?
BTW, I think I remember that the Tycos and Life-Like use .059 rear axles- right?
So do you think my Threaded aftermarket axle, at .059, is actually intended for a Tyco Chassis ? PS- this axle is actually wider than my original AJ's Threaded axle intended for Tuffy and/or A/FX chassis.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
t-jet axles are about .062 +/-
many aftermarket t-jets axles are .063 to .064 on average.

tyco inline cars use .059
tomy cars are .061 to .062

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Slotking, that's Exactly the info I needed. And sadly, it tells me I have a Tyco spec'd axle instead of a T-Jet Spec'd one :(

·
BANNED
8,119 Posts
Ralph, you really are having a time with that threaded axle, aren't you.
I'll look through some threaded axles I have and see if there are any of the 0.62 diameter.
what length did you want in case I have to thread an 0.63 drill blank?
yes, I have an 0-80 die and dozens of feet of drill blank.
I just didn't get involved earlier because so many people thought they had what you needed or thought you wanted to buy tooling.
LOL

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Al to the Rescue

Ralph, you really are having a time with that threaded axle, aren't you.
I'll look through some threaded axles I have and see if there are any of the 0.62 diameter.
what length did you want in case I have to thread an 0.63 drill blank?
yes, I have an 0-80 die and dozens of feet of drill blank.
I just didn't get involved earlier because so many people thought they had what you needed or thought you wanted to buy tooling.
LOL
Thanks Al, and you always seem to be coming to my rescue- lol.
I just measured the length of my original(bent) AJ axle and it appears to be 15/16" long ? I also mic'd out my newest axle, and it's length is 1" !
PS- and Thanx for understanding my situation and NEEDS :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BTW- when doing a search in this Tuning tips section, I also came up with the following Drill Blank chart that was posted by Hornet. And I'm re-posting it for quick reference :)
Here's some common sizes for HO
These numbers relate to drill bits / drill blanks /drill stock etc.

5/64" = 0.0781"

#48 = 0.076"

#49 = 0.073"

#50 = 0.070"

#51 = 0.067"

#52 = 0.0635"

1/16" = 0.0625" (stock Aurora/AW & Tomy rear axle)

#53 = 0.0595" (stock Tyco rear axle )

#54 = 0.055"

#55 = 0.052"

3/64" = 0.0469" (makes a nice oversize front axle)

#56 = 0.0465" (alot of stock and aftermarket front axles)

#57 = 0.043"

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
thanks

and as soon as the wife stops beating me, I can start spending time to make more videos to add to the tool vids already there

·
BANNED
8,119 Posts
hey Ralph, didn't forget you, found an original 0.62 threaded axle for you. gonna go in the mail tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Al, I got the (correct)axle from ya yesterday in the mail. And today, I slid her into the rear of my Orange Willys, which btw is running an original Aurora Tuffy Chassis with a Mean Green arm :). And NOW, I'm able to wear some BIG BOOTS to the Drag Strip ;-)
Thanks again buddy :thumbsup:

·
BANNED
8,119 Posts
t'was the least I could do. if I have it and I'm not using it and it doesn't have great value, I will try to help anyone. you are entirely welcome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts