Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I like AW's new '64 GTO, but the stance bugged me. Some cars look good with Tuff Ones wheels and tires, but I don't think they work well with the proportions on this one:

So I got to looking underneath, like I always do. The first thing I noticed was that the front screw post is attached to the bottom of the hood, but the hood is a separate piece... it can be removed by grinding down the melted pins holding it on. (I didn't try it, just pointing it out...)

Unlike many other recent JL and AW cars, the GTO doesn't have the huge pieces below the front and rear windows holding the window piece in. The "glass" is held in by pins in the bottom of the roof, similar to Aurora cars. There is, however, still a good deal of plastic that can be removed from the bottoms of the windows, so I got right to work:

I had to really attack the bottom of the windshield, because that's exactly where the gearplate rails on an Aurora Tjet chassis end. I could have trimmed the rails on the chassis, but I wanted to see if I could get it to work without doing so.

I shortened the rear screwpost significantly more than the front one, and now there's VERY little clearance between the bottom of the trunk lid and the back of the gearplate. Here's the finished product compared to the unmodified black one:

Big difference, huh? More and better pics in a minute...

--rick

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I put an original Aurora chassis with Weird Jack tires under it, and I had to thin the insides of the front edges of the rear wheelwells very slightly. I think the difference is amazing. This would have made a good Aurora car:

Fits right in with a bunch of skinny-tire Tjet musclecars, no?

--rick

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Great job, Rick!

I have a Red one on the way. My dremel and standard tjet wheels are standing by.:thumbsup:
I wonder how it would look with a set of wierd Jacks whitewalls on it? Hmmmmm

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whitewalls... schweet. Shame that Tom Nagler stopped making Thunderslicks... he made redline ones and even blue line ones, I think...

Yeah, the jacked-up lift kit look has its place. I think I'll leave the black one that way. Wonder if I could get a teeny little HO scale Gabriel Hijackers sticker like the one I had on my old Nova... :D

--rick

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Once again, nice job --rick...
I have a couple of the new AW cars and haven't taken the time to pay with them at all...
*sigh*
Scott

·
Registered
209 Posts
The GTO looks perfect with the skinny tires. I sure hope some t-jets get reproduced like that in the future, rather than the Tuff Ones look.

-- Elliot

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Definitely need to go with the red lines for that true old stock hotrod look of the 60's. :thumbsup: Looks like I'm going to have to drop the two that I have. At least a little. :) rr

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Another stellar review.Thanks for posting it.I look forward to these.

The GTO is my favorite out of this batch,tho I really like all of the cars in this release.

I my Goat on a "fray" type chassis.Really runs good.

Mike

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I really like what you’ve done with the Goat and Vettes , Park- :)
The purple Vette really looks good with that stance.

Great comparos’ as well-

You should “park” one of these Vettes next to your JL Vette you’d lowered-

Although I’m not an AW guy, I have to ask about the hood/front fenders/headlight surrounds on the GTO-

Is it just the pic or is there a gap or recess between them?

Something just doesn’t look right about that front end- :confused:
Or is it just the pic angle?

Cheers..

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Looks like AW did not shut the hood all the way it is up a tad from the fenders.

Roger Corrie

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have to agree the skinny tires look better. I bought one of these for a friend who owns a 64 GTO. He dosen't even know about them yet. He's gonna be super stoked!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
vaBcHRog said:
Looks like AW did not shut the hood all the way it is up a tad from the fenders.Roger Corrie
Thank you for the reply, Rog-
I knew there was somthing going on about the hood fit and/or the way the front end lines are.

I would still like to here from Rick on this-

He went to such great lengths posting such a good thread--one would have to wonder why he has'nt replied to my query yet--especially when he reads all the responses to his posts-

So what's up with this, Park?
(If there's an issue I'm unaware of--just pm me...)

(Edit)
Better yet, why not take a dip in the "Chat" pool this eve'-
The water's fine, no jellyfish, and no sharks-
Come get your feet wet! ;) :)

Cheers..

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Love the new stance

There's a big difference between just plain tough and tuff ones is'nt there? You nailed it dude! That be a goat. The hood may be a skoshe off. I barely noticed. Anybody got a comment about the roof curvature. Hmmmmmm. I'm an AW ignoramous, whats the availablity on colors? BH

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
hey Boss, I've just been busy. Now that you mention it, there's something odd about the front edge of the hood... I don't know the 1:1 car well enough to tell exactly what it may be, but I'm sure it would come right up on Google. You're right about the gap. I'm attaching a pic with 3 different angles so that you guys can see better just what is going on...

On another note, I get the impression that the molds for this car and the JL Nova slot car were sectioned and channeled from diecast somehow. Not shrunk proportionally the way Roger does with the Hydrospan or the way you could probably do with a CAD program. The side windows look a little short from front to back, the roof looks a little thick, the headlights look a little big... I don't have the JL diecast of this car to compare to, but check out the Novas to see what I mean...

edit: i'd love to hit chat but i have a ton of papers to grade

--rick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Park-

Sorry for the impatience--I'd forgot you were a school-marm'...er man-:)

I would probably flunk your class...
I was one of those twitchy-wiggley types-

Thank you for the reply. I knew it would be informative ;)

I knew there was something going on with that GTO front end...
(Now you've cleared that up-)

It's also interesting what you've pointed out with the Novas.
I'm not familiar enough with the Dc's to make judgment, but I can see major differences--especially in the rear quarters.

Thanks once more for you insight and prospective-

Cheers..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts