Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my kit closet I have a Polar Lights "The Witch" (complete with CultTV mans resin head mod). I never had this as a kid and LOVE the rich detail in the kit including several jugs cast in clear styrene. These jugs have to be assembled from two halves, which means I'll have the expected foggy seamline one gets from glueing clear styrene. I'm wondering if anyone has figured a way of doing this in a way that eliminates or minimizes the seam? In theory there should be some refractive way of doing this; just like a piece of glass will disappear when put under water. Is there an accepted trick, or am I on my own for experimentation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that link! It has a few good ideas. I think I'll try the watch crystal glue Ihave to see if it bonds well without fogging. I may also try just using Future as the glue and the interior coating and see if that helps keep things clear. I really like the idea he had of removing the locator pins and repolishing before assembly as well.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Actually a modeler by the name of Steve Riojas did this for a Frankenstein and the Dr.s diorama. If memory serves he actually tacked the top and the bottom of the jugs with glue. He made the parts fit as tight as possible and then used a generous amount of Futura floor wax to literally merge and blend the seams by filling it with the wax. I could'nt find the seam line on any of the bottles that he did. I'd experiment first.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yeah, and Steve went through a lot of bottles to do that. I don't remember what the count was, but he had to get some extra bottle sprues from PL direct to experiment with. But, I would say his efforts were very well rewarded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts