Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know why Im giving this info away for free, outside of just wanting to see the hobby grow in popularity. But...

If you guys want to move some full sets and get more people into the hobby, here's something you should try out. Automotive gearheads, especially brand-loyal ones such as fans of Jeeps, Mustangs, VW, etc will happily snap up anything realting to our pride and joy. Ive been getting Four Wheel Drive Hardware and Quadratec's catalogs for Jeep accessories since high school. In addition to every imagineable thing for my a Jeep, they always have a 'goodies' section with T-shirts, die casts, even Tamiya Wild Willys battery operated Jeeps. An exclusive slotcar set with the CJ-5s in a unique deco would be a total hit.

First off, you'd need a smaller set. The current sets have like 400 miles of track and are at over $150 price point. Thats a hard sell if youre trying to hook someone into the hobby. Something a little bigger than the classic figure 8--maybe an 'extended 8' with a couple extra 15" sections to add a little to it, and for around a $60 price point would be perfect. Its still very affordable and offers a MUCH better product both as a standalone purchase and as a gateway to the hobby for a new slot enthusiast. A set like that would be perfect for penetration in the big box retailers. If you wanted to get REALLY smart about it, keep the basic set and tailor the cars to different markets. C5 and '57 Vette for the corvette crowd, '69 Charger and '05 Charger police car for the Mopar nuts, VW bus and baja bug for the VW crowd, and so on and so on. Most popular cars have catalogs of accessories tailored to them. With such a huge library of molds, Auto World can make something for everyone.

With the semi rigs, they could be deco'd as transports for JC Whitney, Jegs, Harbor freight, etc and then offered as a freebie if a customer orders a slotcar set and spends ever how much on other merchandise. Then they get a voucher to go onto AW's website and redeem it for the rig and then get sucked in by all the beautiful cars you guys are cranking out.

Another idea is, in these sets be sure to put a nice glossy flyer showing a good array of cars and track accessories. Not everyone will go immediately to the website, but having a page filled with cars they'll want, that will arouse interest in slotcar racing and Auto World all around.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Certainly not falling on deaf ears. We're always looking for ways to expand the line. Already been in the works, the semis will be issued in the future as team transporters or sponsored haulers. Coupled with the upcoming NHRA drag dracing set, there are lots of possibilities there, too.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Good to hear, PMS. Cant say Ive ever seen you on here, you must be affilated with Auto World?
Yeah, I'm around occasionally. I'm Art Director for AW coupled with some research and product development for American Muscle, slot cars, and custom & premium diecast. I came from Playing Mantis/Johnny Lightning diecast years ago (hence the Pantone Red 485 screen name). ;)

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Here's another tip. Pull the first couple hundred casts of your slotcar production run (body/bumpers/windshield/misc parts) from the line prior to the painting/finishing steps. Place in plastic bag, sell as KIT FORM version to the crazy customizers on the board. :devil:

I know everyone hates a smart Arse. ;)

No, in all seriousness, I do believe you'd sell quite a few in kit form. I'd appreciated it, especially if I'd never have to strip one of the JL/AW slot bods again.

Anyway, thanks for everything to date and keep it coming. :thumbsup::thumbsup: rr

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I want to see AW not center splice car bodies so they have shriners clown car short doors.I know resin casters and small time modelers like little old me have done it in the past,but for goodness sakes,spend the coin and have it 3d scaled and laser cut.Look at the 70 nova,57 belair etc.. redamndiculous.JMHO
Dragula

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
Get the casting guy on here. I don't think the artwork guy can help with the stubby doors :tongue:

Glad to hear about the new ideas and see that AW does still poke in here and take a look around. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Get the casting guy on here. I don't think the artwork guy can help with the stubby doors :tongue:

Glad to hear about the new ideas and see that AW does still poke in here and take a look around. :thumbsup:
You speak to whomever may listen as a foot in the door "Doba.God Bless and have fun.
Drag

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Yeah, I'm around occasionally. I'm Art Director for AW coupled with some research and product development for American Muscle, slot cars, and custom & premium diecast. I came from Playing Mantis/Johnny Lightning diecast years ago (hence the Pantone Red 485 screen name). ;)
hey wow. haven't seen you around in a while... i'm thinking back to the days when they were still talking about the JL pullbacks and the "new" JL slot car line on the JL diecast board, before we slot-tards had a home... good to see you all poking around! :thumbsup:

--rick

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, I opened a can o worms with that one! But having a direct contact on here would be good for AW. No better market research than a forum made up of your market!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
We have a winner Grunge! You have to usually PAY to get feedback from target captive audiences.Not being mean or anything,just giving my 2 cents.
Drag

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know, right? I just wanna see more sweet slots to burn my cabbage on! haha!

But while were on the subject, pms...

How's about some remolds of all the AFX wheels? Wheel variations on the actual cars would be nice, but standalone kits of ansen sprint, t/a, turbine, and stocker wheels would be something I'd be going wack happy upon.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
PMS485, very good to see you here.

Your screen name caught me a bit off guard because I spent several years working closely with an organization with the same name. Uncanny.

Keep up the great work, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pms 485

YEAH to what everyone else said! Being from CANADA product was at times hard to find,but is improving. GOOD TO SEE MORE PRODUCT:thumbsup::thumbsup: GK P.S. How about CASCAR CARS? LOWER ROYALTIES

·
Registered
76 Posts
it would be great for someone to put out a complete book on all the cars that autoworld has put out starting with the pullbacks i collect them all but sure there a few i am missing bluerod

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Certainly not falling on deaf ears. We're always looking for ways to expand the line. Already been in the works, the semis will be issued in the future as team transporters or sponsored haulers. Coupled with the upcoming NHRA drag dracing set, there are lots of possibilities there, too.

:thumbsup:
Cool:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I mentioned this before, but how about making the semis in various company paint jobs. For instance:

Box trailers - Shipping companies( 151, APA, Smith Transport, etc), Auto Parts( NAPA, Advance Autoparts, etc), Retail chains( ToysRUs, Walmart,Target), Mail/Package delivery (USPS, UPS, Fed Ex).

Tankers - Gas companies( Sunoco, Exxon, BP, Union 76, etc), Oil companies (Mobil, Pennsoil, Valvoline, etc), Convenience store chains (AM-PM, 7/11, Sheetz), Hersheys candy and others

Hopefully any licensing issues would be minimal.

P.S. A repop of the TycoPro Coca-Cola Chevelle would be pretty cool.......

·
Registered
512 Posts
Gray

Auto World should issue its track in a gray color. This would be highly desirable over black and be a distinctive feature of the Auto World brand.

Heck.....I might be good for a few arm loads of gray 9" radius curves!

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
Yeah, grey snap track seems like a no-brainer if you are starting from a clean sheet of paper.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts