Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking over the Release 7 Auto-Hauler this evening which I just got at my local Walmart. This is the white Dodge COE with white car carrier and green 1971 Charger R/T.

Interesting to note the Charger has the louvered hood and Hemi badges - FAIK all 1971 Chargers that came from the factory with a Hemi had the Ramcharger hood scoop as standard. M2 is very good about getting the details right but guess this detail slipped past the inspectors... :rolleyes:

All the other M2 1971 Chargers that are equipped with a Hemi that I have in the collection have the correct Ramcharger hood.

Just an interesting observation as something didn't look quite right to me. Guess I'll call this one a "Monday car" as in it came off the line on a Monday when errors were more likely to happen... :wave:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Interesting to note the Charger has the louvered hood and Hemi badges - FAIK all 1971 Chargers that came from the factory with a Hemi had the Ramcharger hood scoop as standard.
this is 100% speculation on my part, but could a 1971 charger hemi car be equipped with air conditioning? if so, perhaps it would have encountered a clearance issue between the ramcharger baseplate and the air compressor and/or lines, mandating the standard hood be used?

on a 1971 charger side note, Tim and Pam Wellborn are big-time car collectors, and have an unbelievable assortment of 1971 chargers. Several of the cars are pictured on the website for their museum. I don't recall how many 1971's they own, and while not all of them are shown, every hemi car pictured in this specific gallery does support your position.

http://wellbornmusclecarmuseum.com/index.php/gallery/collection/

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Production of the 71 Charger was less than 100, maybe 85 units. I sold Chryslers back then but my memory is clouded. However, I think A/C was not available and Rallye Wheels were standard.

·
Registered
611 Posts
So, which pictures prove what, i see basically the EXACT same car listed as a 71 in Dan's pics..
if you're asking me, can you translate this into a question i can answer? my comment wasn't meant to prove or disprove anything. it deals with 1:1 scale vehicles and their available options. more specifically, whether or not a 1971 charger could be ordered with both a hemi engine and air conditioning.

regarding the link to the wellborn museum page, it was provided for anyone who finds these cars fascinating to be able to view an amazing collection of them. explore the museum website, and you will discover how i would be familiar with the wellborn's collection.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
if you're asking me, can you translate this into a question i can answer? my comment wasn't meant to prove or disprove anything. it deals with 1:1 scale vehicles and their available options. more specifically, whether or not a 1971 charger could be ordered with both a hemi engine and air conditioning.

regarding the link to the wellborn museum page, it was provided for anyone who finds these cars fascinating to be able to view an amazing collection of them. explore the museum website, and you will discover how i would be familiar with the wellborn's collection.
You are correct, so here's the question, did they come with both hoods from the factory, I see several cars listerd as 71's with both hood arrangements.., could this be owner's choice, or were both hoods offered?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Production of the 71 Charger was less than 100, maybe 85 units. I sold Chryslers back then but my memory is clouded. However, I think A/C was not available and Rallye Wheels were standard.
that's within the ballpark for one registry website that i saw. it mentions 75 total hemi r/t cars built, broken down as follows.

USA - 33 automatics, along with 30 4-speeds
Canada - 12, with transmission breakdown unknown

somewhat surprisingly, i saw that only 22 super bees came with the hemi in 1971. i guess in retrospect, if a buyer wanted the top dog engine, he would probably opt for the top dog model, as well.

since you were there back in the day, let me REALLY sidetrack this thread. have you ever heard of a mandate that all challenger T/A and AAR cuda models must be driven a specified number of miles prior to retail delivery? this claim was recently brought up on a different board, and sounds entirely too insane to believe.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You are correct, so here's the question, did they come with both hoods from the factory, I see several cars listerd as 71's with both hood arrangements.., could this be owner's choice, or were both hoods offered?
both hood styles were available on the 1971 charger. the ramcharger performance hood was optional on both the r/t and also the super bee when equipped with a 440 engine. not sure about its availability on super bees with the base 383 engine.

ordering a hemi engine included the performance hood as part of the option package, which is what the original post here was addressing. by making certain options, such as air conditioning, unavailable with the hemi engine, chrysler would have ensured that all hemis came with the ramchager hood.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
both hood styles were available on the 1971 charger. the ramcharger performance hood was optional on both the r/t and also the super bee when equipped with a 440 engine. not sure about its availability on super bees with the base 383 engine.

ordering a hemi engine included the performance hood as part of the option package, which is what the original post here was addressing. by making certain options, such as air conditioning, unavailable with the hemi engine, chrysler would have ensured that all hemis came with the ramchager hood.
Thank you for answering my question.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
611 Posts
you're welcome. now i have to discover the answers to my own questions. this sort of quest for additional knowledge is what i get for straying away from the wing cars.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
No, we only sold two AAR's; one yellow (Lemon Twist) and the other Autumn Bronze. I don't remember anything about having to miles on anything before delivery. However, I think some of the AAR's (and T/A's) remained unsold in Zone inventory and were put into Company Car service. They would've had to been driven a couple of hundred miles before being offered to dealers at a discount. Cars like this weren't really desireable "drivers", so the minimum number of miles would be put on them. Although desireable today, back then cars like this and the Super Birds were hard to sell. A standard 340 Cuda probably had a waiting list in 1970, while the zones had to force the limited units on the dealers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts