Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These have to be my favorite cars of all time. I've got one 1:1 Bug Eye. (Frog Eye depending on your side of the pond.) I've got three 1:1, 100/4's. Hopefully one day before I die I'll have the cash and time at the same time to get runners out of them. The 100/4 is my favorite of all the big Healeys. Inspite of what Donald thought that big old triangular grill is absolutely as classic '50's fashion statement as ever was. Yeah it was a bit under powered with that 2300cc A90 "tractor" motor. But you could fold down the windshield, put your goggles on and be the coolest tool on the block riddin' round in your two toned beauty. Do that with your Vette. Or your 3000 for that matter. As for color none of these represent any correct color that I've seen. I was going to two tone the 100 but there was some reason I couldn't get it apart completely without risking breaking something....Can't recall what.

The 100 is produced by "del Prado." I did black wash the grill and wires and a bit of interior treatment to this one. I just noticed it's missing the Healey wings badge over the grill. I'll have to correct that my next decal printing. The 3000 MkI is a Corgi and its chrome also has been black washed. The Sprite is a Johnny Lightning. Though from the "Brithish Invasion" series it was the most out of scale in that series. Much closer to 1/43 than 1/64. Its been completely trimmed out including the OD engine color of that generation of Sprite.

Click pic for large image.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The big Healey, was a hairy chested British roadster at its best. I've got a couple of 3000s somwhere, by Corgi & Vanguards (Corgi based).

:thumbsup:

Steve

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had several 3000's we worked on at the shop (The Esses) when we were in business. Loved to test drive them. The ones we worked on handled very well. I always gave them a healthy respect though. There's just something about a front end that get there so far ahead of you.

The only 100/4 I ever got to ride in really wasn't....The guy in Hickory, NC had replaced the motor and tranny with a 327 Turbo Hydro. Along with this change over the front end was widened to accept some type of front end that would support the weight. The differential had also bee changed to handle the 327. It was a bad ride and bad lookin too. But it t'weren't no 100/4

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
My buddy had a 3000 when we were teenagers. I always thought it was a unique British sportscar.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I supposed it was a guy that ran the pharmacy we used to frequent, to "get" baseball cards, had a Healey Blue 3000 MkII. That was in '63. Fell in love with them then. As far as mass produced sports cars the big Healeys were one of the finest metal motoring sculptures ever. Still gotta give the 100/4 the biggest thumbs up. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts