Hobbyist Forums banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is another oddity.

Canadian square box race horse. For some reason U.S. format instructions; (despite box wording). They are the same as the long box with an oval logo. I've also seen this happen with a soft card mid period U.S. 'white stallion' in square box.

My guess is maybe after Canada started producing all the boxes; (1972); some of the general U.S. plans just found their way into blanket batches.

The only other thing I can think of is it was intended to include the separate 5 language sheet for Europe which has gone missing.

square-box-race-horse-and-contents by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
52 Posts
You rarely see the French on square or cereal style boxes.-Also - In reply to that great post about the Canadian 'Black Fury' plan with Race horse photo.

By the square box, the Canadians seem to have rectified the error. This example had no box but carries the long type face kit No. on the right. This began to happen when they went over to the square box, distinguishing the plans from the 60s 'margin' style. Another clue is the 'A' logo.

canadian-black-fury-plan by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is an example of another 1960s Canadian long box animal kit plan. Shows an example of the Canadians at the worst.

The built up kit photos are all omitted; and they have applied that eccentric technique of cutting the art out as a stencil again. Poor job! Looks like they have just used scissors and cut the copy so quickly half of the smaller bear is completely chopped off.

canadian-long-box-bear-plan by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Interesting photos, Aurorajohn, thanks for showing - I've not seen anything of the Swedish S-Tank kit before so this is a first for me here. Where you come across a box which is identifiable as a particular 'nationality', eg Dutch, Canadain, etc, and the instructions don't seem to be the right match, I've sometimes wondered if it's because they're a 'marriage', i.e. some unscrupulous seller has got hold of any instructions at all and put them in the box, to make it 'complete' - I bought an original Guillotine kit in the 1990's, can't remember what nationality issue, and the instructions were a photocopy!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting photos, Aurorajohn, thanks for showing - I've not seen anything of the Swedish S-Tank kit before so this is a first for me here. Where you come across a box which is identifiable as a particular 'nationality', eg Dutch, Canadain, etc, and the instructions don't seem to be the right match, I've sometimes wondered if it's because they're a 'marriage', i.e. some unscrupulous seller has got hold of any instructions at all and put them in the box, to make it 'complete' - I bought an original Guillotine kit in the 1990's, can't remember what nationality issue, and the instructions were a photocopy!
I've had this myself, as at one point I owned a Canadian 'wonder woman', but the seller told me someone had added an American plan as it was missing.

It could actually just be an error, as in the same batch I looked at was a square box 'white stallion' which had been given a 1960s plan. A friend had a square box at the time and his plan, which I have was just the 1960s with Aurora logo. All I can think of is the factory that handled the boxes might have put some old plans in new boxes and the wrong one in the Canadian.

I've not seen it before but I was also guessing some European kits may have had Canadian boxes, U.S. instructions and the separate typed 5 language sheet which could have got lost. (Speculation).

You're quite right though could be a match up job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's been a long while since this thread's been active so let's re-activate it!!

Thought that I'd post this one - the signs for the Canadian Alfred E Neuman - not only in french and english but the design is completely different from the US version. Also the sayings on the french signs bear no resemblance to the english.

Sans Serif

·
Administrator
26,690 Posts
Awesome thread content! I vaguely remember some of these kits. I only saw them when we ventured to the big city of Houston and went to Foleys or Walgreens downtown. I dont remember ever seeing this one before but its the favorite from those shown here.

I my have hade the Lost Prisoner kit - to far back to remember clearly now! 🤙

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depending upon where you lived at the time it may never have been on the shelves. Physical distribution of both the Thronester and the Go Cart was apparently limited to primarily the North East Coast of the US maybe down to the Carolinas and perhaps as far west as Chicago according to a very prominent dealer I spoke to back in the 80s - 90s. I imagine that in-store distribution in these locations was probably pretty limited.

So if you lived in LA for example, you wouldn't find them on the shelves BUT you could order them through a dealer.
In Canada, both kits were pictured in the 1966 catalogue but apparently were never issued here. Randy (Buzz Conroy) told me the story of him ordering these two kits as a kid in the Montreal area. He ordered them from his local hobby shop as soon as the catalogue arrived. The dealer called him about a week later saying that the kits "were not available."

141 - 151 of 151 Posts