Hobbyist Forums banner

121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Another option, is they might be Canadian issue, but were using up US supplies that were left over when the kits were pulled from the shelves.
I'm sure it wouldn't have taken much to pack up all the packaging and ship it up to Canada once US production ceased.
Maybe Parts Pit Mike would know.
Someone should point him to this thread.
Price code would have been covered by a sticker.

BRIAN

·
Registered
859 Posts
All the Canadian kits -- Dracula, The Giant Insect, Jekyll and Hyde and Dr Deadly's Daughter have the Rexdale address on the box.

I don't recall seeing one of the original 8 with that Rexdale address.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Although not a very good picture.Here is a canadian Dr. Deadly,if you look close you can see the address as Aurora Plastics of Canada LTD Toronto Rexdale Ont. also box states instructions in french and english (upside down because you are looking at the box bottom).

BRIAN

·
Registered
859 Posts
In 1971 the Canadian and US Dollars were at par... so prices would be the same.

I forgot that I did see a Canadian Hanging Cage box with a completely different painting than the US one... but I not seen a Dr. Deadly made in Rexdale, Ontario

·
Registered
52 Posts
Layout showing contents. The square box versions were first issued in 1970 main modification to the actual kit is addition of a vac form base. I had a British Centurion tank in 1971, purchased from shopping centre in Bognor Regis. The tank was displayed in the window.

The item I had was soft box. Plan was like an American early issue with the kit photo on back.

aurora-jap-medium-tank-box-instructions-and-kit by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Canadian plan is in map format. The photo used is also from the long box kit showing no vac form base. Like the Canadian Captain Kidd plans I've seen, the photo seems to be be a poorly detailed print with bleached out mid tone details.

This is the first example I've seen of kits from this period where the plan format is Canadian but also the address on plan too. Yet the box is American.

Maybe some of the first issues to Europe were done like this?

aurora-jap-medium-tank-back-of-plan by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also picked this up. It's a later edition of the long box Tiger tank evident by the 'tyre tread' aurora logo, introduced in 1969. This logo was short lived and appeared to be intended for the range of vehicles with wheels. I've seen it on The 'Banana Splits' kit and 'Scene machine' cars.

The box is soft card with end flaps tucked in; similar in construction to British kits c. 1971.

aurora-tiger-tank-box-contents by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my previous observations, Dutch issues had U.S. format instructions prior to Aurora Canada opening in 1964.

After that a lot of them, like the Hunchback seemed to copy Canadian plans with the French text.

Though this is evidently a late long box issue, they seem to have reverted to copying American plans; though adding the Dutch address.

According to Greenbergs guide to Aurora, the long box issues ceased in 1969. They were replaced by square box. However I'm aware the Dutch continued their issues of the Knights until 1971; so this might be later than '69.

aurora-tiger-tank-plan-front-and-back by aurorajohn, on Flickr

121 - 140 of 151 Posts