Hobbyist Forums banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for making me aware. I did know about this one for the three horn dinosaur in that format. But I thought it was just an oddity with the rest in the coloured ink format.

Do you know which came first then? I'd assume as the Canadian plans for the earlier kits used the turquoise / pink ink the coloured ink was the first issue version. Perhaps the later plans were issued when Aurora Canada had more money to make better versions?

canadian three horn dinosaur by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just noticed the lid of my CAVE BEAR. I knew this was not the UK issue I had at the time as the card is of a flatter, slightly textured finish.

This is not a Canadian box as the U.S. address is first and it doesn't read 'INSTRUCTIONS EN FRANCAIS A'LINTERIEUR'. This box was with the Canadina instructions though; so my guess is it's a European issue. I say this as the Aurora Netherlands long box kits often had an American box but Canadian instuction sheet.

european-cave-bear-box-lid by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Not really sure.
I'm still trying to sort these things out.

I too assume that the Canadian colored version were the equivalent of the US cartoon versions for the 1st wave kits.
I have no clue why there are 2 different versions of Canadian instructions for the 2nd wave kits though.

Europe is much easier to decipher. B&W copies of the US instructions for the 1st wave kits.
And large photocopied versions of the 2nd wave kits.
They probably didn't have a source for the extra long paper used for the 72 instructions here in the states.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just for general interest the Canadian 'Batman' plan. I haven't a copy to hand but the U.S. instructions show the box art; and a different large photo of the back of the sculpture on the back of the plan.

This illustrates the slightly later Canadian 'map' format. The thumbnail photo from the box is shown nice and big; repeated several times but other kits shown too. It has grey panels; some later versions of these sheets have white panels instead.

canadian-batman-plan by aurorajohn, on Flickr

canadian-batman-plan-(complete-spread) by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is the Canadian 'Land of the Giants' plan. Like their version of 'Lost in space robot' it's a small booklet; which folds out like a map. Rather than use the usual margin the kit No. is printed in a fancy type face. If I'm right the U.S. had the kit no right and Canadian left.

The 'Lost' Robot appeared with text printed in pink or turquoise ink but the common one is just in black. I noted the plan here has the images in monochrome but the text and logos are in a sort of purple brown tinged black ink.

canadian-land-of-the-giants-plan-front by aurorajohn, on Flickr

canadian-land-of-the-giants-plan by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I never understood Aurora`s marketing ploy.Us Canadians got kits that the U.S did not & the other way around.Reminds me of the tactics General Mills has been using.We use to get Frankenberry,Count Chocolate & Booberry but for years now we only get Count Chocula.I don`t remember Fruit Brute ever being here.Defies explanation.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Companies do make kits for specific markets or will rework a kit for a partoicular market.

Odd as it seems the Airfix P-51 D Mustang is aimed at a distinctly European audience as the kit has RAF and Swedish decals. Now you would think US markings would be a natural... Renwal's old 1/32 military kits were sold in England under the Frog name. Since the range was strictly American equipment, Renwal tooled up a British Bloodhound missile that was only sold in the UK to help boost sales of the other kits. I'm sure Aurora made their CF-100 and CF-105 Canadian jets for the Canadian market.

I have only seen Count Chocula cereal here in Florida in recent years, and only then at Halloween (Target had it for $1 a box on clearance)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The construction is quite firm card. The lid was originally glued shut and has to be pulled open. Unlike some U.K. examples it has a flat edge with no tuck in flap. I have a Dr Deadly somewhere which has a Canadian issue box, but in much thinner white backed card. The card is so light, the lid won't lay flat. It also bears 'INSTRUCTIONS EN FRANCAIS A L' INTERIEUR' on front and carries Canadian address.

Gruesome goodies lid 2 by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
52 Posts
And you can see here construction and materials clearly illustrate it's an American box. It's an American box, with a Canadian instructions. In the past I've had other Auroras which have an American hard box but have the Dutch address on the instructions, which otherwise look Canadian.

My conclusion is one is American, the other; (with Canadian instructions); is a Dutch issue.

Pain parlor + Goodies boxes + plans by aurorajohn, on Flickr

·
Registered
289 Posts
My guess is that is an american box that someone added the instructions to.European issues will not have the price code.
Although who knows as my us issue captain kidd contained foriegn instructions (was sealed opened by me).

BRIAN

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Yes, I've got the Pendulum and Hanging Cage kits with no tuck-in flaps on the top or bottom lids, just flat flaps like in your photo - not sure which 'nationality' they are though, UK, Dutch, Canadian, etc, haven't dug them out in ages.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I don't think they were ever stuck down though, they have no sign of glue residue or tearing or surface damage from when the new boxes were opened - I always assumed they'd been kept shut originally by the cellophane seal.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Another option, is they might be Canadian issue, but were using up US supplies that were left over when the kits were pulled from the shelves.
I'm sure it wouldn't have taken much to pack up all the packaging and ship it up to Canada once US production ceased.
Maybe Parts Pit Mike would know.
Someone should point him to this thread.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
That makes a lot of sense Trevor. Aurora was pretty frugal and I don't think they'd waste packaging if they could use it elsewhere...

Chris.:)

101 - 120 of 151 Posts