Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Franky, here are pics of the Canadian Wolfmans Wagon Box and the USA Mummy's Chariot hard box.
The first run Canadian monster boxes were hardbox, a soft box has the print on soft cheap cardboard, the USA has the print on laminate paper t glued on heavy stock carboard.
The first run Canadian had a print of the boxart on front page of the instructions, like the USA version, later it as dropped, had a pic of a built acetate pattern model, see pics.The Canadian soft boxes ere very flimsy.Notice the price in Canada was 1.29, and USA was .98 cents.
Hope this helps.
Randy

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are pics of the very first run of the Canadian Hard Box Phantom, same quality as USA version, the instructions had a print of box art, but no pic of built up and painted pattern model.
Notice the instructions had 3 hole patterns on left side, to be punched out, and stored in a 3 ring binder,(monster binders were on the market at that time )only the very first run had this feature, it was dropped quickly.This version is rare has hen's teeth.
The monster binder had a poor mans Bama art, printed on cover.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
That's interesting about the monster binder for instruction sheets, it must be one of the rarer Aurora items. Since kids aren't known for keeping the instruction sheet and box (or the kit even) for long, it's easy to see why the binder idea faded away.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I believe the monster binders were made by the same company that manufactured the monster wallets, correct me please if this info is wrong.I bought the binder in 1963 in Blind River Ontarion and the 5 and 10 store of all places.
If I hadn't have all this stuff as a kid of 9 , I wouldnt even know about Canadian hard boxes , instructions, and binder, the Aurora books only mention the canadian soft box and french and english instructions, no mention of the canadian hardoxes and various versions of instructions sheets.
Btw , as a kid I had quaddrouples of monster kits, and when I first notice the softboxes, I as dearly disapointed, with the lower of quality.

Randy

·
Registered
289 Posts
Heres a photo of original canadian shrink wrap,much like modern kits:

Here is a canadian godzilla,molded in the same green as the U.S. creature:

BRIAN

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ahhhhh I see. Now that I see them side by side, the hardboxes are the only ones I knew growing up. I wouldn't have been able to recall it, but after seeing the pics, I definitely remember the folded-over-the-sides box art paper. I also remember the look and smell of that grey, mottled cardboard.

And I can now also recall how solid those boxes were because I remember using them to store not only my paints and glue and brushes, but I used them for all kinds of other stuff as well (my huge bubblegum card collection as I recall).

And although I didn't have the Aurora binder, I actually did keep my model instructions in a binder, divided into sections: monsters, airplanes, knights, etc. I also recall that I had one or two of the instruction sheets with the hole-punch guides. But most of the monsters just had the grey line running down the side like in the Wolfman's Wagon example.

Thanks, buzz

·
Registered
289 Posts
Canadian hard box frankenstein:

Molded in a greenish grey

Notice the much lighter blue than the standard U.S. issues.

Hard box godzilla with a 1964 copyright.

Canadian forgotten prisoner molded in a dark grey:

Color variations of the prisoner that i have.left to right:Canadian,European.US:

Canadian instructions have a coupon for a catalog but i have yet to see a canadian one?

BRIAN

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The Canadian first run kits with instruction punch hole guides, that I had, were Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman,Mummy,Phantom,Creature and Hunchback.
I had a Canadian Tusands hardbox guillotine as a kid, but the instructions didnt have punch hole guides.
Another tidbit, the Canadian wildlife kits, didnt not include paints and coloured instruction sheets.
The Canadian Cougar was really hard to find in the day, the only place that I had seen it, was at Toy World.

Randy

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Pretty interesting thread - I love seeing the variants, epecially the metallic green Godzilla.
Thanks for posting pics!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I have some English knights in very thin, flimsy long boxes. They are folded type boxes and not much thicker than heavy card stock.

I think I got rid of it but I had an odd Dutch box Stalin tank. It was a long bow but not a litho one. The artwork was unique to the Dutch issue, and looked to be quickly and crudely done. The instructions were odd too. The US Stalins all came in green plastic but the Dutch one came in dark grey.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have also seen Canadian hard box Munsters and Canadian hard box Gigantic Frankenstein.

A friend of mine will bring over in the next couple of days his sealed Canadian Godzilla (soft box); hard box Canadian Wolf Man; and very rare Canadian hard box Invaders UFO. I'll post some pics.

Anyone have Canadian hard box (or soft box) Frightening Lightning that they can post?

Randy

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Stupid question: why did these variants exist in the first place?

I'd think any company - Aurora in this case - would have wanted product consistency, and the Canadian or European arms could easily duplicate all aspects (printing, molding, etc) of the U.S. releases with no problem.

Or would Aurora have had a reason for different countries' releases to deliberatly vary from each other?

OR...did Aurora just not care, as long as a basic look for the box and instruction sheets was followed?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brian nice Canadian box collection, especially the rare Canadian Hard Box Fl boxes.
When those FL kits hit the shelves, they were all hardbox, I bought them all from a smoke shop, in one week, his replenish stock was all softboxes, weird huh?

Randy

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stupid question: why did these variants exist in the first place?

I'd think any company - Aurora in this case - would have wanted product consistency, and the Canadian or European arms could easily duplicate all aspects (printing, molding, etc) of the U.S. releases with no problem.

Or would Aurora have had a reason for different countries' releases to deliberatly vary from each other?

OR...did Aurora just not care, as long as a basic look for the box and instruction sheets was followed?
Frank: not a stupid question, sometimes there appears to be little consistency in what Aurora did. I can site numerous examples of inconsistencies or things that leave you scratching your head even after 45+ years. Why as the US Aurora Godzilla molded in pink and the Canadian version in green? Why as the Frog molded in tan, British racing green and mustard yellow? If Aurora really wanted to cut costs hy didn't they go to soft boxes in the US where the real savings could be had? Why is my Aurora Invaders box a hard box (with Canadian litho) long after Canadian boxes had become "soft"?:confused:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As promised, here are photos of my friend's Canadian hard box kits. No binder holes on the Wolf Man instruction sheet. Godzilla is a sealed soft box.
Randy

1 - 20 of 151 Posts