Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has wired up the old Aurora Steering Wheel Controllers to AFX Tomy track. Would like to use a couple for ghost racing on a four lane layout. Any help appreciated-Thanks.

·
BANNED
8,260 Posts
rob, it is a controller like most others that are basic. it would seem an easy deal. I haven't tried it, but I think you can accomplish that pretty easy. and it sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Actually, I had something like this set up for a little while. I set up one of the new AW dragstrips with a dead/coast section after the traps and one of those steering wheel controllers set to bring the car back down the return road. I used a connector that I cut off a dead Tomy controller. It worked just fine.

--rick

·
Registered
998 Posts
I too do it all the time. I am so alone...........

Seriously it does work well. I use a faster car that stays on the track and race against it with a slower car that I control.

Old Blue

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
You bet!

I have one for each lane that I use for a track cleaning. Just set it and forget it. Works great for the ghost racer too. I also use one on the bench for dinking with chassis; lapping gears, scuffing tires and general testing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I to would like to wire it to a Tomy plug but not sure how. I have attached a picture of the controller I want to use. Two screws on the top and two along the bottom. Thanks.

Attachments

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Under normal circumstances, the 2 bottom screws go to the transformer, and the top screws would go to the track. I believe the bottom left screw and either top screw will work. If it's dead, flick the reverse switch. A quick check with an ohm meter will answer that. Whatever side reacts to the ohm meter will be the screws you need to connect to a spare stock Tomy controller plug. The only catch is the reverse button will only work in that one direction. Make sure the ohm meter reacts to the variables of the steering wheel. The other side of the controller will just be "on".

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Just an FYI...If I am correct, there are two different Aurora steering wheel controllers; one for Vibrators and another for T-Jets. You can't use the vibrator version for DC. I believe the vibrator version only has three screws, with the top screw centered on the controller.

Joe

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Just an FYI...If I am correct, there are two different Aurora steering wheel controllers; one for Vibrators and another for T-Jets. You can't use the vibrator version for DC. I believe the vibrator version only has three screws, with the top screw centered on the controller.

Joe
The vibe wheel controllers work fine. They dont have a reverse switch or a disconnect/brake switch though.

It's the vibe transformer @24 VAC that couldnt be used with permanent magnet DC motors.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
I ran across this method...

Now I'm cornfuzed. Sounds different than your's Joe. I always wanted to try this. Could somebody sketch a diagram of how they did it? Maybe label which screws are which. I tried it once but it didn't work. I thought the controller was dead. thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

1: Remove a controller plug from a Tomy AFX controller.

2: Strip wire cover off the lose end of the wires.

3: Attach both ends to the "Pack" screws of the controller. (One wire per screw)

4: With a small piece of wire, connect the "Track" screws together, do not connect them to anything else.

Step 5: Plug into track

Step 6: Begin driving!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts