Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
undefined
I just bought the Polar Lights Spiderman re-issue, and it doesn't seem to look like the pictures of the completed model I have seen in books. Does anybody have both models to compare? In particular the Eyes and web pattern seem to be different. I know this was resized to a larger scale, but it doesn't seem to look as nice as the original aurora model pictures that I have seen.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
The new PL spidey his bulkier in body and yes...the webbing is slightly different! What I've done is purchase both and now I just have to get my Aurora version painted so I can display both side by side! I like the new spidey as it is in scale with all my monsters! I've done the same with the Hulk and with Captain America. Can't wait for PL to release him...

MMM

·
Registered
414 Posts
I haven't seen an Aurora original in over 30 years, but when I opened the PL Spidey, I had the impression that the "spider" emblem on Spidey's back was different, with a rounder body shape than the original. Is that the case, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Glenn,

You are correct! The Spider emblem on the Aurora original is thinner and more sleek. The PL Spider emblem looks more like a tick that has been on a dog for awhile!

MMM

·
Registered
98 Posts
The spider emblem on the Aurora kit more resembles Ditko's art,
while Polars more resembles Romita's.
The black areas around the eyes was changed for the better as it more
accurately depicts the character at the time. Don't much care for the BIG
silvery lenses the artists use now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Knyteman said:
The spider emblem on the Aurora kit more resembles Ditko's art,
while Polars more resembles Romita's.
Exactly. Clearly, the original sculpt was based on Ditko's interpretation of the character, but by the time the kit was released, Ditko had moved on and John Romita's slicker Spidey, with the rounder spider emblem, had become the standard.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The smaller eyes also matched the earlier comics.

The body was bulked out? Hmm. I definitely thoughthe looked too thick, didn't care for that. Not being the least bit fond of resizing (yes, I understand the logic behind them, no need to rehash it), I'm gonna have to find an original on ebay. I'd really like to see an original for myself. What's the general going rate for these - unbuilt Comic Scenes or buildups?

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
dreamer said:
...I'm gonna have to find an original on ebay. I'd really like to see an original for myself. What's the general going rate for these - unbuilt Comic Scenes or buildups?
Dreamer - I've seen these in an assorted array of different conditions on e-place. The original long box version Spidey from Aurora will fetch more money because it includes the nameplate, gun and tin can on the base which is omitted from the comic scenes version. PL added these parts to their rendition only they are, of course, "super sized" as well and can't be used as replacement parts for the original.
I paid roughly $35 if I remember correctly for a CS Spidey build-up. You need to look carefully that it does not have any missing parts. Mine looked like it had the webbing included only to find out that the very top of the webbing was missing like it was broken off. This is easily fix-able but that was what I looked for. You want to make sure it is complete as possible. Then I found someone making resin parts like the gun and nameplate for Spiderman to go with this kit to make it like the original.
I've got the kit primered black and hope to restore the rest soon!

Good Luck!

MMM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts