Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An antique shop near me has 5 monster kits. I had someone remove them from the glass case so I could look them over pretty good - a relatively light slap of enamel on each, no real glue bombing, pretty much all parts are there (except the tongue to one of Creech's critters), and all have the '60s Aurora stamp on the bottom. Price is $30 each. I'm not too up on ID'ing repops except Monogram's...do any others have the exact Aurora stamps on the bottom, with the '60s dates? Or are these the real deal? Thanks for any advice,

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Frankenstein, Phantom, Creech, Hunchback and Mummy, btw.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Yes, the Glow kits had the same dates stamped on them as the originals but the color of plastic was different on some...The Originals are as follows..

Frankenstein 1963-68...grey plastic....glow issue...Black 1969-74
Phantom 1964-68...Black plastic....glow issue ...same 1969-75
Creech 1963-68...Metallic Green....glow issue...same 1970-75
Hunchback1964-68...Tan plastic....glow issue...Dark Brown 1970-75
Mummy. 1963-68..grey plastic....glow issue....same 1969-75

Got this info from Thomas Grahams' cool 'Aurora Model Kits' Collectors Guide, a Schiffer Book...

Check the bottoms of the base for the colors of Frankenstein and the Hunchback if they are Grey and Tan respectively, chances are they are all originals and at $30.00 a pop you can't go wrong :thumbsup:
Mcdee

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I did forget to mention the plastic colors: Frank, gray...Mummy, gray...Creech, metal green...Phantom, black...Hunchback, tan. I did not pay close enough attention but I do not recall seeing any glow parts on them. So given all that, looks like they may well be earlier runs from the '60s. Hmm...need to talk to the bank/wife. Thanks again, fellas!

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Thanks, I did forget to mention the plastic colors: Frank, gray...Mummy, gray...Creech, metal green...Phantom, black...Hunchback, tan. I did not pay close enough attention but I do not recall seeing any glow parts on them. So given all that, looks like they may well be earlier runs from the '60s. Hmm...need to talk to the bank/wife. Thanks again, fellas!

It's Better to beg for forgiveness...than to ask for permission...:p
Mcdee:wave:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
If they say Aurora they are Aurora issues, except the Forgotten Prisoner which has been reissued in Aurora Grey with the Aurora logo.

My Aurora Glow Hunchback is not tan... he was a red brown similar to Testors Rust paint color.

$30 each for any Aurora issue isnt unreasonable.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
pretty fair price for them..I paid $30.00 for an original aurora superboy built up back in 2004..as well as an original hunchback at a shop..

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The worse they could do would be counter offer with 125, thats still a pretty good deal..keep us posted on what happens. Enquiring minds need to know..LOL

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Resale value for buildups on the bay looks kinda low right now...I think I've seen it higher, anyway...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$110 for all 5. All in primo shape - Hunchback's ropes all intact, Phantom's got his rat and lizard, Creech's snake twig intact, but Frank's belt rope is missing...but I want to say that was added later once they made the Wolf Man?

·
Registered
722 Posts
$110 for all 5. All in primo shape - Hunchback's ropes all intact, Phantom's got his rat and lizard, Creech's snake twig intact, but Frank's belt rope is missing...but I want to say that was added later once they made the Wolf Man?
Great deal! I believe the rope belt was added to Frankenstein when Aurora issued the Frightning Lightning editions. :)

Kitz' :wave:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Kitz is right, the rope knot wasnt added until the frightning lightning series, and then it was only on the sprue of glow parts. It was the same knot as on the wolfman kit. Sounds like you got a good deal to me!

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Oh you got a good deal alright...no doubt about it ...Congratulations :thumbsup:
Mcdee

1 - 20 of 20 Posts