Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know where I can get a copy or verbage of the original newspaper article(s) from what paper too ...that talked about the banning of the Aurora Monster Scenes kits from the Nabisco company?

Side question: Is the MS Pendulum in scale with the Guillotine if displayed side by side? Been brainstorming like I did as a kid about creating a Monster Scene with all the stuff Aurora did in the time of these kits...and having a torture corner of machines...maybe lining up a few Guillotines and other torture devices.

Yea..I'm sick but I'll blame my parents!

Thanks,
MMM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, just checked the scale question in the old Aurora price guide and the Monster Scenes Pendulum is listed as 1/13 scale, while it lists the Guillotine at 1/15. I'm not sure this is right... I actually think the scales in this case might need to be reversed. I really don't remember the Guillotine being quite so small, and the MS kits were itty bitty, judging from the few I've seen. As for the news article about Nabisco being picketed, the book mentions the article, but doesn't clearly say when the article appeared. I'm assuming sometime in November 1971, in the New York Times. You might be able to hunt it down at your library if they're equiped with one of those machines that scan through newspapers (no idea what it's called) and they happen to have reels of the New York Times. If no one else can help you locate it online, that's probably your best bet.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
ya might be able to get away with it if they're 1/13and 1/15.
that's less size difference percentage -wise than say 1/6 and 1/8th .
you can also use a little forced perpective in your scene . say put the larger of the two a bit further back in the scene .
hb

·
Registered
141 Posts
The New York Times carried a front page story on the Monster Scenes controversy in its July 12, 1971 issue. The story even featured a photo of The Pendulum. You can access all the issues of the New York Times on line. Your local librarian ought to be able to help you access the database that contains the Times.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Doc,

Where is the article (if any) of Nabisco banning the Aurora Monster Scenes line of kits because they wanted a more "family friendly" image? Was this in the NT Times newspaper?

MMM

·
Registered
141 Posts
There are several stories in major media on the Monster Scenes.
The July 12, 1971 New York Times story was centered on an interview with one women who claimed to speak for consurmer, parent, and feminist organizations. Ralph Nader's Public Interest Research Group also expressed concern. The specific reference was to "plastic guillotine kits" and "sadistic toys" that were "psychologically harmful."
On November 16, 1971 The NYT ran another story about a dozen women from the National Organization for Women, Women Strike for Peace, and Parents for Responsibility in the Toy Industry who were picketing Nabisco headquarters on Park Avenue. One was dressed like a hangman and another carried a sign: "Sick toys for children make a sick society." NOW said that Vampirella was sexist. A Nabisco VP invited the women inside and said that the Monster Scenes were "a terrible embarassment." He claimed that Nabisco had learned of the existence of the kits only four days before Nabisco purchased Aurora. He said production of the kits had been stopped. (A Wall Street Journal story of November 26 contains a shorter version of this story.)
A New York Times item of November 27, 1971 quotes Nabisco's director of publicity as saying that the Hanging Cage and Pendulum had been discontinued in the summer and that now all the kits would be discontinued. He added that the company was not taking this action because of the pickets.
Dick Schwarzchild, Aurora's VP of marketing, said in the Nov. 26 NYT article that Aurora had received 120 letters protesting the Monster Scenes line, but had received many more letters requesting more Monster Scenes. He said Aurora had created the MS line in response to interest expressed by kids.
When I interviewed Schwarzchild for my "Aurora Model Kits" book, he said that the whole thing happened because of the Nabisco purchase. Protestors would not have received any publicity marching outside the Aurora Plant on Cherry Valley Road, but did get notice on Park Avenue in Manhattan.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The Monster scenes kits were 1/13 scale and the guillotine is smaller in scale. As Beck said you might use forced perspective but its a close call.
HUNCH (Monster Scene Fanatic)

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Doc...that was what I was looking for. Now I can get copies of these articles.
Hey Hunch...do you have any MS pics of your own to share? If you don't have a website, you can e-mail them to me at: [email protected]

Thanks!

MMM

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Thanks for the additional info and expanding on the subject as a whole,Doc.
BTW, I read your new Aurora and Revell books and enjoyed them both.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts