Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aurora kit prices on<a href=

I know sale prices fluctuate throughout the year but a few sealed squarebox Monsters just went for several hundred each...the Forgotten Prisoner usually tops out high but Frank - who usually goes toward the middle-lower end - just went for $535, the highest I can recall seeing for that particular kit in several years of watching. Any idea why these kits usually sell for cheap (relatively cheap, anyway) but now seem to be spiking and going for incredible prices?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i think that was a case of spme one getting a bit carried away . bidding can get heated .
also , condition could have a lot to do with higher prices . sure the kits are out there but mint , pristine examples will set the big time collectors to warring over them .
hb

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Don't forget.
It's also tax return time.
Collectors flush with extra money tend to overspend on things they want.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
...and as I (and about 7 other people) found out about three weeks ago, there are people out there who like to lock out everyone else by bidding high, but have no intention of actually paying for the item.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beck said:
i think that was a case of spme one getting a bit carried away . bidding can get heated .
also , condition could have a lot to do with higher prices . sure the kits are out there but mint , pristine examples will set the big time collectors to warring over them .
hb
True...while I don't watch every day I do watch frequently and had never seen this Frank kit MISB go THAT high. It was amazing to see, since they really don't appear to be all that rare (yet). And yeah, there's always the scum who don't intend to pay, so that might figure in, too.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
A word to the wise and along the lines of what Chris had to say.......sometimes there are people bidding out there that may know the seller and deliberately jacks the price way up there in hopes of someone outbidding them at the high dollar. If someone comes along and outbids then the seller is happy and get the loot. If someone else does NOT come along and buy then it is no big deal to the seller because the "friend" had no intentions of paying anyway (shilling). Also have to watch out for "fake auctions" where a GROUP of friends get together and intentionally jack up the prices of one particular kit in an attempt to jack up the average prices. Bottom line is....don't get carried away. If you don't think a kit is worth 400 bucks then shy away from it, watch it STEADILY and see what a good deal looks like in comarison. I would really like to think that everyone is on the up and up but I see some fishy prices at the e-place on occasion.

I have watched all Polar Lights kits being auctioned off DAILY for the past 2 and half to three years. Seen some kits go up in price just in that small time frame. By watching that often I can certainly tell a price spike when I see one. I dunno what an average price is for your sealed aurora frank but I know that I have seen some HIGH dollar aurora kits in the past couple of years. Might be a permanent spike? Keep yer eyes peeled!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
TAY666 said:
Really?

What happened?
I had a Polar Lights Phantom up on ebay. On the second day someone (who had a zero feedback rating) bid it up about $20.00 more than I had expected. Of course he won the auction. I sent invoices and emails over the course of a week, but never heard "boo" outa him. I then saw he started getting negative feedback ratings - apparently he did the same thing to a number of sellers. I honestly can't comprehend what would make a person want to do that...

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
ChrisW said:
I had a Polar Lights Phantom up on eBay!. On the second day someone (who had a zero feedback rating) bid it up about $20.00 more than I had expected. Of course he won the auction. I sent invoices and emails over the course of a week, but never heard "boo" outa him. I then saw he started getting negative feedback ratings - apparently he did the same thing to a number of sellers. I honestly can't comprehend what would make a person want to do that...

There are some crazy people on eBay. Not a lot of them, but they're out there.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
The factory sealed kits do go for that much. As mentioned, there are some hard core collectors who just have to have an original mint factory sealed Aurora. They indeed are hard to come by and will fetch a very high price. I am happy to have the Polar Lights releases and was sad to see them go.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
From my observations of squarebox kits (my favs so that's pretty much all I pay attention to), there have been exceptions but it seems Dracula, Creature, Jekyll and Forgotten Prisoner have usually gone the highest over the past year or so (same for good empty boxes). Middle of the pack has been Witch, Godzilla, Kong, Phantom, Wolfman and sometimes Frank, who floats between this level and lowest. The "lowest" (and apparently most common judging by how often they show up) seem to be Hunchback and Mummy. Maybe the recent spikes are shill bidding or a coincidental bidwar between those desperate collectors who just gotta have virgin cellophane. Who knows...but it made me glad I wasn't in on it.

BTW - anyone see the news bit on the number of big-time sellers who've admitted to regularly using shill buddies? I know I've been the vic of shill bids before, just can't ever prove it. Kick 'em all off permanent if you can prove it, I sez...but then they're still revenue for eee-bay so I won't hold my breath waiting on a crackdown.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
That is cool you know the Aurora line-up, Frankenstyrene. I know the PL line-up well. As I said...I watch it daily. Sounds like Marko knows the kit is worth the bucks it went for. Those pristine sealed kits do go for big bucks, I just don't watch the aurora's as much as the PL's. I am satisfied with the reissues.

Anyone remember that seller last year that auctioned off about 30 or 40 pristine aurora kits.......still sealed in orginal cello? I think the munsters kit went the highest at around $4,500? The virgin cellophaners were out that night for sure! I watched everything the seller dumped that night for kicks and added it up at the end of the night. That guy raked in about 23 or 24 grand total.....unreal.

I feel that I too have been the the target of shilling but like you say......can't really PROVE it though. Sorry to hear about the bad experiences (Chris W.). I don't sell...I just buy. I have not had any terrible experiences but the few sellers I know has at least one or two stories of having to deal with the unreasonable. Makes me NOT want to sell but I know someday (looooooong way down the road) I will have to. It is inevitable.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What i do is when i am watching an auction and it has other bidders is that i check them out ,i check what city they are from and what they have been buying.If another bidder is from the same city or close to the seller and they have only bought a few shirts or something and all of a sudden they are bidding up an aurora kit well somethings fishy.Time to move on.I have seen a few auctions like this.

BRIAN

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Selling isn't as bad as some make it out to be...we're the smallest of small time sellers - in it for fun and blow money. In the few dozen sales we've done I have run across some truly stupid and literally illiterate customers, but no one I can say looked like they set out intending to be a deadbeat. Of course that's just our luck so far - the mileage of others herebouts varies widely.

If I may, four words of advice if you do start selling:

1. Accept PayPal. It took some others kicking me in the butt to finally take that step (always bought with it, never accepted it...too many horror stories)...but it's been worth it so far. Speeds up and simplifies things a whole lot, and definitely increases your number of bidders on more ho-hum items.

2. Take the best pics you possibly can.

3. Be objective and honest in your descriptions...the mention of even the slightest smudge, one you know no one will care about, will let them know you're being up front with them (due to that approach, lots of our 100% positive feedback includes "Better than expected," etc). It helps.

4. Guard your feedback. Yeah, some folks have a point that the feedback system is all BS, and in some respects it is. But it is what it is and, for good or bad, most people do look at it before bidding, as you well know. Others disagree but I say, don't leave feedback for a buyer until they've left it for you. Some will stiff you on feedback but if you treat 'em right, 99% will usually drop you a + .

FWIW.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
BTW, I have no real preference for one issue of kits over the others...I just grew up with the squareboxes and have always had a soft spot for them (right on top of my head) for the boxart more than anything. I've bought empties recently, and the occasional dirt-cheap builtup, but when I'm in the mood to bid for kits I try increasing my already formidable stock of Luminators. Coat of primer and they all look the same to me.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Thanks for the selling tips. Sounds like the way I would like to auction off things when the time comes.

I used to have a hard time understanding why people would bother spending more money on an original rather than just get a reissue. Now that I am neck deep into collecting I totaly understand! Some of the old box art is just way cool. Sometimes it is like you said....."I had it as a kid". I will have to touch base with you (frankenstyrene) should I decide to get some of those square box kits. I have the aurora guide from a couple of years ago but you know how things fluxuate. I have just about every kit that PL put out....most in quantity. I am always looking to fill in the slots of the aurora kits that PL did not reissue. Very excited about Moebius models and hope Monarch can make something fly too.

BTW...I just landed a 25 dollar BIN sealed Comic Scenes Tarzan and a 26 dollar builder Tonto kit complete with box and comic tonight! Talk about cool! My original aurora collection is going to take off this year.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Ebay is an auction, so, sometimes people bid higher than what is reasonable. Some people get a kick out of winning bidding wars, until reality sets in and they have to pay for winning the war. In war, there are never really any winners...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Roland said:
In war, there are never really any winners...
At the risk of getting my own thread locked down, I briefly and politely disagree - ask the Germans. And as far as ebay's concerned, every bid war has a winner: the seller! :hat:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
frankenstyrene said:
At the risk of getting my own thread locked down, I briefly and politely disagree - ask the Germans. And as far as<a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=1606754&mpre=http%3A//www.ebay.com"> eBay!</a>'s concerned, every bid war has a winner: the seller! :hat:
You took the words right outta my mouth! :)

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
"You took the words right outta my mouth!" :)

Ewww, is that sanitary ??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts