Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Looks like a custom to me. I do remember the Joey Chitwood thrill shows though. Cars riding on two wheels and all that.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Looks like a custom to me. I do remember the Joey Chitwood thrill shows though. Cars riding on two wheels and all that.
same oppiniion here...
don't think that he would have used a vette...
BUT could b4 "Advertisement" @ shows (????????) :confused:

Bubba 123 :freak:

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
1 common AFX Vette + 1 sticker some kid applied 35 yrs ago = Quintuple the price.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I remember a Joie Chitwood set with a 'vette... A Chevette, that is. It was a bigger scale, maybe 1/24, in the vein of the Evel Kneivel toys. I think it was actually a friction-powered Chevette that jumped a ramp or something...

--rick

·
Registered
869 Posts
The Chitwood Thrill shows used Corvettes since the changed from Ford to Chevy in '55. I also remember the larger scale Chitwood sets, I think only available thru Chevy dealers, similar to the Dodge sets. The car in the auction appears to be a *made up* car to me, as how the 1:1 Chitwood Thrill Show cars were (almost always) solid white with the logo on the door.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Chitwood Corvettes Did Exist :)

Hi Gang
Here is a photo of a corvette used in the Joie Chitwood Thrill Shows from 1972. The Vettes were used in the *Roman Steeple Chase*, where the Camaros, Chevettes, Blazers, Novas, Impalas, Caprice and the Corvair were used in many more stunts. The photo below is out of my copy of *Safe at Any Speed*, Joie Chitwoods autoboigraphy. The lil guy sittin on the Vette is now Daytona Intl Speedway Prez. Joie Chitwood III. The soild axel RWD cars were used in 99% of all stunts.

Larry

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Well looky there. Ya learn something new every day. Thanks for posting that. Kinda makes the Corvette in the auction in the original post look a little better, even if Aurora didn't make it that way...

--rick

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
The Chitwood Thrill shows used Corvettes since the changed from Ford to Chevy in '55. I also remember the larger scale Chitwood sets, I think only available thru Chevy dealers, similar to the Dodge sets. The car in the auction appears to be a *made up* car to me, as how the 1:1 Chitwood Thrill Show cars were (almost always) solid white with the logo on the door.

Pretty sure it was the Chitwoods I saw at Pocono Speedway. Full lap around track(2and 1/2 miles) on 2 wheels. This was late 70s early 80s.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Pretty sure it was the Chitwoods I saw at Pocono Speedway. Full lap around track(2and 1/2 miles) on 2 wheels. This was late 70s early 80s.
yep me 2 @ Jefferson County Fair, Watertown NY in 70's...
but did 2 laps (track w/ small... 1/2 mile or so)

loved his PR showmanship.... autographed everybody who wanted....
& even gave a disabled kid out of the audience a short (1 lap) "Wheelie-Ride".....

GREAT team of guys....IN, & OUT, of them cars :thumbsup:

Bubba 123

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
No problem Bubba, I went back looked at this again, while not a $100 car, its still a neat and different car, still not $90 worth of decals on a $10 car, IMO. I like different.

Boosted

1 - 20 of 23 Posts