Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - the Aurora Guillotine model kit, i remember having one as a 7-8 year old child back in the 70's.. twisted my parents arms into letting me have one.. Anyway i just got a cheap Polar Lights re-issue of the kit for nostaga's sake and upon opening up the box i was shocked into looking at the wood parts of the kit?
Well there is no grain effects on it at all?.. is this the same on the original Aurora kit?.. I can easy put some grain effects onto it, but i thought at least the sculptor would have added a few onto it?... any comments on this?

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
I don't recall that there was a lot of wood grain detailing on the original issue, Ian. But then, I was maybe ten when I score my first one. At that time I was more concerned about getting the blade to drop than I was about whether or not my model had a realistic wood finish. In this scale (1/15, I think), a heavy wood grain wouldn't necessarily be appropriate - after all, they didn't make guillotines out of railroad ties.

A fun way to research the texture of guillotine wood might be to watch the end of Curse of Frankenstein (1957) or the beginning of its sequel, Revenge of Frankenstein (1959). A working guillotine was featured prominently in each film. Of course, a Brit horror fan like yourself will already know that; I merely mention these films for the uninformed who may view this post. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Right you are guys...
Here are some shots I just took of the earliest Guillotine issue...
The Madam Tussaud issue...

No woodgrain anywhere...
Mcdee

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks Denis for the pictures!... but im still thinking this was a lame sculpt on the wood parts.. as for the kit being 1/15th Mark, i still think some sort of grain could have been added.. Tay666 - great job on the kit.. another question.. is it at all possible to get this model working??.. i just had a quick look at the instructions, but i would like to know if anyone has tried to get it working like Mark commented!!.. would be great to some how weight the blade down and get the chaps head to come off!!...

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Oh hell ya....Every one I ever built worked...
I just filled the blade block with lead (.177 lead pellets crunched up) to add weight...and I used wax to hold the head on the shoulders, for a light tack...
...worked like a dream (much to my Mothers' horror) nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...
Hey the new Square Box version uses Magnets to hold the head on...
haven't built that one yet...but it's in the pile:p
Denis

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Ian, I read an article somewhere, maybe from the web, on simulating wood grain on plastic models. As I recall the guy took something like an X-acto saw blade and dragged it down the plastic piece sideways. I haven't tried doing anything like that yet but he ended up with good results as I recall. Try googling it and you might find some hints. I have one of these to build someday too and I got mine off of eBay a couple years back before the repop so I doubt I have the magnetic version.

Bob K.

·
Premium Member
6,044 Posts
Guys,

Per my first comment, I sat down with Mrs. McG. over lunch to watch the beginning of Revenge of Frankenstein ( she crashed after we ate, so I could finish the movie, nyuk nyuk). First of all, I was impressed by the resemblance of this guillotine to Aurora's design; who knows but that the sculptor of the pattern wasn't a Hammer Film fan, too? Anyway, the wood from which the movie head lopper was made looked like the pine boards you'd find at a Lowe's or Home Depot - quite smooth and weathered an uneven gray color.

The texturing that TAY did is hard to see, even in the close up photos - which makes it about perfect for the scale, IMHO. If you're looking for a heavier wood grain effect, Ian, I suggest dragging the back of a hobby knife along the wood. You can make long lines, short ones, even draw knots and swirls in the "woodwork". When you're satisfied with the wood grain effect, dragging a coarse bristled paint brush that has been moistened with lacquer thinner over your work will soften the hard edges produced by your knife. This will make the wood grain texture look more natural, as though it had indeed been molded into the kit parts.

As the thinner dries, you can drag the brush over the softened plastic a second time. This will add finer wood grain texture. If you apply your paints with a brush, you can work the paint to create even more wood grain.

As for ensuring that the blade descends properly, weighting it as Mcdee suggested is the surest way. Don't rely on the rollers that come with the kit; they're best described as "ineffectual". You're better off trimming and fitting the blade assembly within the uprights so that it will move freely and not get pinched on its way down. You might find that graphite powder will help lubricate the blade.

Don't forget to post photos of your finished project! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Oh hell ya....Every one I ever built worked...
I just filled the blade block with lead (.177 lead pellets crunched up) to add weight...and I used wax to hold the head on the shoulders, for a light tack...
...worked like a dream (much to my Mothers' horror) nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...
Hey the new Square Box version uses Magnets to hold the head on...
haven't built that one yet...but it's in the pile:p
Denis
I built the one with the two magnets. When dropped the, weighted blade neatly slipped into the seam in the neck, the head would spin about 180 degrees and stay attached through the blade because the magnets are too strong. I solved this by drilling out the magnet in the head and putting a small flat head screw in it's place with the head of the screw flush with the base of the severed neck. The single magnet in the body's neck is strong enough to hold the head while allowing it to be severed by the dropping blade.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
As for ensuring that the blade descends properly, weighting it as Mcdee suggested is the surest way. Don't rely on the rollers that come with the kit; they're best described as "ineffectual". You're better off trimming and fitting the blade assembly within the uprights so that it will move freely and not get pinched on its way down. You might find that graphite powder will help lubricate the blade.

I weighted mine down with fishing sinkers before I glued the 2 blade halves together.
Works just fine.
And I used the rollers that came with the kit. They work just fine for me.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I put the wood grain in my rebuilt original Guillotine by sanding it with rough sandpaper, gouging some nicks in it, particularly on the edges/corners of the supports, etc., and then sanding it again with a lighter grade of sandpaper. Turned out well for me.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im going to have a bash at weighing the blade down!.. and thanks for the tips on wood grain effects.. i did that to the Moebius invisible man kit, as that had no woodgrain on the book case either.. I can remember the original with the Tussauds logo on the box!.. great model kit.. i will be posting images soon...

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I thought it was "authorized" by tussand...Well, I guess I don't know my history.
Well Aurora was supposed to have carried the message, "When in London visit Tussaud's" on the Model Box... That didn't happen...
Bernard Tussaud also stipulated that Aurora get his approval before issuing any of the kits...That also didn't happen...
Ray Meyers was asked to carve the kit but when he saw it was a 'working' replica he refused on the grounds of poor taste...Larry Ehling did the sculpt ...When Tussaud saw that it was an operational Guillotine that actually cut off the victims' head (Teamed up with the other ignored stipulations) he sent Si Freedman a Cease and Desist order...so only the first run kits actually have the Tussaud name on them...On a side note Rowan and Martins 'Laugh In' show (Very Popular show in the late 60's) gave the Guillotine model the 'Flying Fickle Finger of Fate' award for bad taste :p
Needless to say the rest of the Chamber of Horrors series was axed:p...Next in line to be made were fun kits like The Hanging Tree...The Rack...The Electric Chair, and the hilarious Gallows.( BTW patterns for the first three were completed ) I've built the Hanging Tree...

Sure hope Dencomm makes the others...been waiting a long...long time...
Mcdee:wave:

·
Premium Member
6,044 Posts
I thought it was "authorized" by tussand...Well, I guess I don't know my history.
The first run of Aurora's original issue was indeed marked "Madame Tussaud's" Chamber of Horrors. According to my references, the Guillotine was to have been the first of a series of such models. However, there was quite a hue and cry from parents over the nature of the kits (my parents didn't kick, and I turned out okay... :devil:). Possibly the fuss was what caused Mme. Tussaud to back out of the deal and require her name to be dropped from the packaging.

TAY, I found it hard to get the rollers to roll and also to keep glue off them when assembling the blade casing halves. When I call the rollers ineffectual I mean that, if it's weighted sufficiently and fitted so it can move smoothly between the uprights, the blade assembly will drop regardless of the rollers. But if they're installed so they roll easily, I don't suppose they would hinder the movement of the blade assembly either.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
On my original kit I engraved all the joins into the parts then brush painted it with Humbrol ivory enamel. I then heavily washed with Tamiya XF10 brown and kept dragging the brush through 'til a nice grain effect was achieved. It worked OK for me...
Your info's spot on as usual Denis.:thumbsup:

Chris.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Hanging Tree...The Rack...The Electric Chair and the Gallows?.. didn't know these were inline for a release but were banned!.. iv'e seen the Hanging Tree Denis did a great job on.. but i always thought this was a 'what if' kit?.. thought it was purely made up!.. has anyone got any photos or links to what the other kits may have been had they been released!.. i love old torture implaments like that and would love to collect them!

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
The Hanging Tree...The Rack...The Electric Chair and the Gallows?.. didn't know these were inline for a release but were banned!.. iv'e seen the Hanging Tree Denis did a great job on.. but i always thought this was a 'what if' kit?.. thought it was purely made up!.. has anyone got any photos or links to what the other kits may have been had they been released!.. i love old torture implaments like that and would love to collect them!
Yep...Here are a few kits availible from Pythonkits that are derived from the Prototypes...
The Rack: http://www.nightgallerykits.net/rack.htm

The Gallows : http://www.nightgallerykits.net/gallows.htm

The Pendulum : http://www.nightgallerykits.net/gallows.htm (which, of course was used in the Monster Scenes:thumbsup:)

The Hanging Tree : http://www.nightgallerykits.net/tree.htm

Also check out this Link to Dencomms'Chamber of Horrors Torture Scenes: http://my.starstream.net/dlprince/dencomm/TORTURE_SCENES.htm

And finally an old link to a very leangthy thread...some 353 responses:eek:
Where the Torture Scenes issue was raised...it got a little interesting when Moebius stated that they wouldn't back these devices(Post 113) and Dencomm would be doing them on their own... http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=225259

Hope this answers a few of your questions Ian :wave:
PS...couldn't find anything on the Electric Chair???
Cheers
Denis

1 - 20 of 32 Posts