Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not an evil build..but it's not a nice one either..

So after a good bath, it's off to my freezer..

Steve

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Hey Steve, I restored one of these not long ago- you gotta open up those windows!! Once they're not as narrow, the whole model looks more right.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They do look like tank vision slits don't they?
I'll ask. The owner really likes the charm of unmodified Aurora kits.
(Except for lights & sound ..lol)

It's soaking in brake fluid as we speak..the 34 layers of black pactra 'namel are slooowly lifting off.
my hands haven't been this clean since I happened upon an abandoned summer camp where many sexy co-eds were stranded by a breakdown of their bus......

Steve

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hee hee, I love to cook, but the wife likes cardboard pizza..lol Can anybody tell me what the red thing with four chambers is? I do have some frozen ribs in there too..lol

Ok, I'll tell you the secret of the freezer..sit down grasshopper and listen well.

First you need to really soak the kit in soap and water.. put it in a container that holds all the parts and will fit in you freezer..my fridge here is smaller the the one on a sailboat I used to own..lol

as the water in the seams and on the parts freezes, it expands and in some/most cases splits the glued seams apart..without damage.

Steve

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Thanks Chris! Can I grab this pic to show him?

That looks very nice!!

Steve
Sure. Note that this was one of the first things I touched in 2010, model-wise, after not making models for decades.
I didn't have the heart to repaint the yellow, hence the visible seams.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Until tamiya came out with their chrome yellow, the only rattlecan yellow I liked was testors Colors by Boyd Alumicoupe Yellow..and it was too iridescent for the FS...

She looks fine!!

Steve

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Hee hee, I love to cook, but the wife likes cardboard pizza..lol Can anybody tell me what the red thing with four chambers is?
Ah, cardboard pizza...you couldn't have put it better!!! :drunk: The red thing with the four chambers? Almost affraid to ask! :eek:

I like the freezer idea thing. :thumbsup:

hal9001-

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the freezing water to split glued seams!!!!
And I see you've got a bag of Fred Meyer brand frozen french fries!! Are they the regular or crinkle cut???:wave:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hee,hee the red thing is a mold to make ice balls for bourbon on the rock..lol

The fries are crinkle...they must have a high sugar content..they get really dark before they are done cooking..but they taste good.

Pics in a bit..the upper hull paint was a bear...I'll need to sand some of the remainder off

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I always liked the goofy engine details on the old one. But I could never get that center top piece to lay down good.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm going to treat it like the Big 'Moe FS..I'll paint the underside of the hook to match the belly of the sub, and the rest silver.

I like to work on cars, and I've used brake fluid before to strip paint..but I've never spent as much time with my fingers in it before...wear gloves. my fingernails want to eject from my fingers..lol

Steve

1 - 20 of 45 Posts