Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh cool, Moebius liked my idea to bring back Aurora style cello wrap. If they get enough positive response, the first kit will be an exclusive limited Forgotten Prisoner.

I'd like to see them do that Aurora cello wrap with Wonder Woman and Green Lantern.

BUT please make them available to more than one online store.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet there are a lot of collectors with vintage open Aurora boxes who would like to have them resealed exactly Aurora style.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I can understand collectors wanting originak box art, instructions and packaging but cello wrap? I build everything I buy and by no means am I or have I been a collector but I geuss this is important to some. If it was an original 1st edition kit in original cello I could see the historical value but not a reissue/repop some 40+ years later.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The appeal for me is it evokes the experience of buying a kit as it was in the 1960's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Darn. I thought this was going to be about a long lost Aurora 'cello kit that I didn't know about. Some sort of "Orchestras of the World" collection.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if they add cello sealed to their Aurora style kits like Wonder Woman, I'd buy them.

But sell them through more than one distributor. Would sell better.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a rather obvious idea and I'm sure many suggested it. I wrote about it when they reissued Wonder Woman and the new Green Lantern.

Now if Moebius can just add the Aurora fumes LOL...Aurora was the only model kit to have that. Around 1967 I opened a Napolean Solo and not even trying to look for it, the fumes were so strong it was like new car smell or leather.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I don't see it as that obvious. I'd have never thought of it (or bothered to ask). It would probably be lost on most customers anyway. If you wanted to make something more Aurora-like there are better ways like using the same color plastic or the original instruction sheets.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do like the color instruction sheets. A big improvement.

These model kits are made for nostalgia. Made for us who remember kits used to be .98 cents. Now the same kits are around $32 to $53 so clearly aimed at the older collector. No kid today could afford to buy kits without generous parents. So if cello adds to the nostalgia, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I never really concearned myself with the cello-wrap.
What I really miss however is that fragrance that used to waft up when you open a new Aurora kit. I think that's termed Auroraoma.
You just don't get that anymore.
Not a finer smell in the world (insertion of George Lebay comment optonal).

·
Registered
824 Posts
It's a rather obvious idea and I'm sure many suggested it. I wrote about it when they reissued Wonder Woman and the new Green Lantern.

Now if Moebius can just add the Aurora fumes LOL...Aurora was the only model kit to have that. Around 1967 I opened a Napolean Solo and not even trying to look for it, the fumes were so strong it was like new car smell or leather.
I know what you mean. I opened an original Robin about six years ago and the Auroraoma still was there -- 40 years later. Wow.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I never really concearned myself with the cello-wrap.
What I really miss however is that fragrance that used to waft up when you open a new Aurora kit. I think that's termed Auroraoma.
You just don't get that anymore.
Not a finer smell in the world (insertion of George Lebay comment optonal).
Weird, but I can STILL smell that Auroma coming from the box like it was yesterday! I wonder if the kind of styrene used has changed since the days of old. As great as that smell was, to my memory at least, I'm sure it could not have been all that good for you!
One thing I wish Moebius would do differently is make their figure kits (at least more of them than they are doing now) 1/8 (Aurora) scale and the kits that require more diorama, like the Aurora "Bride" and "Witch" kits, a bit smaller scale still.
Moebius has undoubtedly been putting out some incredible pieces (the new Bride of Frankenstein kit comes to mind) but the sheer size of it makes it a bit overwhelming. I bought it and will continue to buy any great kit they release, but may never build it just because of its size.
Just my opinion of course, but I like figures to be Aurora size and spaceships, some of them at least, to be bigger.
Just a personal observation.:)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The distinctive odor a genuine Aurora kit has is due to the release agent they coated the molds with to insure the parts came free easily when the mold was opened. Since that was in the 50's thru the 70's, it probably is considered dangerous now, but who cares? It's one of the BEST odors on the planet, and I feel sorry for those who were not privilaged to experience it themselves. I wish someone could make a spray or votive candle with that scent, I'd certainly buy it to put my modeling experience over the top!!

Larry

:wave:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I wonder what mold release agent actually was used back then.

The biggest thing I remember about the very few times I sampled Aurorma was the smell of the cardboard box.

Now, Testor's bottle enamel...THERE'S a hydrocarbon that stays with you. I went all-acrylic many years ago, does Testors smell the same?

·
Registered
895 Posts
The distinctive odor a genuine Aurora kit has is due to the release agent they coated the molds with to insure the parts came free easily when the mold was opened. Since that was in the 50's thru the 70's, it probably is considered dangerous now, but who cares? It's one of the BEST odors on the planet, and I feel sorry for those who were not privilaged to experience it themselves. I wish someone could make a spray or votive candle with that scent, I'd certainly buy it to put my modeling experience over the top!!

Larry

:wave:
Ha! I've often thought the same thing.

I doubt it will ever happen as no one (to my knowledge) has ever been able to produce a "new car smell".

Its really wierd how sometimes smells like this can transport you back to an earlier time as if you were there again. Unfortunately the experience only lasts an instant and impossible to reproduce on demand. it just has to happen without trying.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts