Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the original as it is today...before stripping with missing parts that I have from another kit....notice the paint globs all over the waist and head...

I included one picture of the missing left boot and the wings.

I'll keep this as the "in-progress" thread and try to keep it updated as I go along.

This will be a real challenge to bring this back to life and look reasonable.

Stay tuned!

MMM

Attachments

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I'm glad you were able to fix the pics - I couldn't really see those tiny thumbnail sized pics the first time!
I can't wait to see the PL version next to it!

- GJS

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Bob, If you get a container that has a lid, the Castrol is much more effective. Just leave it in overnight!

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rich,

This container that it is in does have a lid to it! I removed the lid to take the picture. The other thing is that it keeps the odor down. I have it in my utility bathroom. I may move it out to the garage if it starts to stink. I just don't know if I have enough Castrol in it because it doesn't cover the whole kit. I'll have to turn it to the other side before I go to bed tonight.

MMM

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
OK, I may have to don the asbestos suit for this one, but...

This is the first time I've seen the Aurora Cap model. I guess I always assumed it was the Toy Biz kit. Anyway... it's not a very good looking pose. Doesn't seem to be an angle that makes it look good. All you can see is the shield. And is he supposed to be slipping in the mud?

MHO, anyway. I'll still prolly pick up one of the PL repops. If it was as fun as Spidey to build, it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Mango, The original builder has Cap mounted wrong. His body should be more forward.I see what you mean, but it's just assembled wrong. The sheild position adds to the dynamic because the viewer assumes there is an enemy close by. Many people consider this Auroras' best pose for a superhero. I'm sure Polars' Version will even improve on it. Can't wait for this one! Oh Bob, Updates?

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Okay...latest as of this morning. The Captain's paint is almost rolling off of him with absolutely no problems what so ever to the plastic. This Castrol stuff is great! The only other thing I needed was an old tooth brush to get in the nooks and crannys but this stuff litterally just wipes the paint from the kit. I have to let the other half of the kit soak some more as it wasn't submerged fully.

Rich, you are correct. Whoever put this Captain together did a very poor job on mounting the front foot into the splash but then again...that person could have been six years old when it was first built. This is the 1966 version and not the 1974 Comic Scenes kit.

I'll try to snap a few pics once I get the other side of the kit scrubbed after soaking it awhile longer so everyone can see how easy the paint is coming off of this kit!

Stay tuned!

MMM

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
restored Cap kit

I restored my original about 8 years ago, and he looks great..and you are right, once he is placed correctly he looks terrific!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Ah, so. Good to hear that the pose is actually better than it seemed to be. Anyone got pics of a properly built kit?

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Well, I don't have any pics, or a digital camera to show it off, but I still have my 1966 Aurora Captain America kit, with all its parts intact.
MMM, you've just inspired me to take that old kit out of storage and restore it correctly, as well as my 1966 Batman.
I've never used the Castrol method you are using for stripping the paint. However, before I immerse either of my "childhood original built-ups", I'd like to know if there will be any damage to the plastic? I can putty and sand as well as the next builder, but I'm a little leery of marring up the original plastic.
Can any of you guys advise me on that? :confused:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
On occasion, really hardened paint took more than one soaking. Never once softened the plastic even the least. have no worries there.

One recommendation, for digging paint out of details like eyes, hard to reach spots, engraved details...in addition to a good stiff toothbrush, try toothpicks. Have a box as they get soft and fall apart quickly, but really tough entrenched paint laid on thick in those childhood paintjobs can be dug out of sculpted details, whatever doesn't just slide off on it's own.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Thanks for those pointers, guys! Oh, and regarding toothpicks, yes, that makes sense! I was planning on using a paperclip, but wooden toothpicks getting all mushy would be much safer than gouging out eyeball details.
Thanks again!

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seaview,

I just took my Captain America out of the bath of Castrol and the paint has litterally wiped away. I used a toothbrush for the stubborn stuff. And it hasn't even done a thing to the plastic. Almost like new! It doesn't do too much for the glue stains but I can sand those or just primer over them. You should be just fine and the stuff is biodegradeable so clean-up is easy! Just make sure you use rubber gloves and eye protection as this stuff is still potent to the skin!

Take before and after pics so we can see how you are making out!

Good Luck!

MMM

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Thanks, MMM! I've used paint stripper on metals and already know the importance of the rubber gloves. Fortunatly, I have a private back yard, so I can do this chemical-related experimenting outdoors without having to watch the floor come up to smack me, too.
Unfortunatly, as I pointed out in my first post, I do not yet have a digital camera, so I'll be unable to take the "before" photos, but I do anticipate some day being able to post the "after" shots.
I'm going to do my 1966 Aurora Batman figure first; I just remembered that I actually used brill cream (an anti-zit stuff I'm not sure even exists anymore!) on top of the tan paint for his lower face!
Best of luck with Cap, my friend!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts