Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics of the Black Bear & Cubs kit I built a long long time ago. It was in the collection of MickeyD for a few years but he recently acquired another to build himself so he gave it back to me. It's one of my favourites and I hope to be able to eventually track down the others in the series (apart from Big Horn Sheep and White Stallion - I already have those ones waiting in the aisles).
I hope you like....

Chris

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well that really sucks...

...that I got rid of my copy of this kit! :wave:

I love the colors you used on the ground work, it fits very well with the bears. Very nice work, you really brought these guys to life :cool: Thanks for sharing, Chris!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kirk- I think....:p
It's a fun kit to build! I might redo the nameplate though- it looks OK in person but the brown's washed right out of the pic for some reason....I can also see wear around the very edge of the base.
Time for a touch up....

Chris.:)

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
That is a beautiful build, Chris! Huzzah! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dan and James:). It's a great kit to build!!
Revell, It'd be fantastic to see you reissue these beauties!! :wave:

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Great job Chris :thumbsup:...The Leaves and ground work are right on! Lots of Black Bears here where I live and this looks like a scene I'm very familliar with.:wave:
Denis

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Denis:).
Much appreciated mate. I'm glad it looks at least something close....:p

Chris:hat:

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
In 1983 I took my son Neil, who was 5 years old then up to the 'cut line' about 50 miles N.W. of Calgary to cut down a Christmas tree...got the tree and was dragging it back to the family truckster with my son in toe, when Neil started saying 'Puppy, puppy' I turned to see what he was talking about and his 'Puppy' turned out to be a rather Large 'Puppy!'...of the Black Bear persuasion....about 40 yards away...so knee deep in snow I grabbed Neil and still dragging the tree and axe, steadily forged on to the truck. The Bear, which should have been hibernating, just watched us and then turned and walked away. Neil couldn't stop talking about the Puppy, he still does today...and me?...Well I've been buying my Christmas trees from the Boy Scouts ever since then...:p
...Oh... and by the way Chris,...yeah, your model looks very realistic!:eek:
Cheers!
Denis

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks John:).
I personally think it's one of Bill Lemons best sculpts.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In 1983 I took my son Neil, who was 5 years old then up to the 'cut line' about 50 miles N.W. of Calgary to cut down a Christmas tree...got the tree and was dragging it back to the family truckster with my son in toe, when Neil started saying 'Puppy, puppy' I turned to see what he was talking about and his 'Puppy' turned out to be a rather Large 'Puppy!'...of the Black Bear persuasion....about 40 yards away...so knee deep in snow I grabbed Neil and still dragging the tree and axe, steadily forged on to the truck. The Bear, which should have been hibernating, just watched us and then turned and walked away. Neil couldn't stop talking about the Puppy, he still does today...and me?...Well I've been buying my Christmas trees from the Boy Scouts ever since then...:p
...Oh... and by the way Chris,...yeah, your model looks very realistic!:eek:
Cheers!
Denis
WOW!! How dangerous are they?
We could do a swap!! You send over some bears, and I'll send over some funnelwebs....:thumbsup:
Thanks again on the compliments mate. They're appreciated.:wave:

Chris.:hat:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I love your build-up of the bears, Chris - I keep coming back to look at them! I have fond memories of this kit and will have to start searching for one :cool:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
When I taught high school, I sometimes took groups of students camping in the Boundary Water Canoe Area in northern MN. One evening while the kids roasted hotdogs down by the water, I returned to camp to retrieve something. As I approached our campsite, I heard someone moving around. Who could that be? I did a mental roll call. Nope, all of the kids were at the water's edge. My flashlight beam revealed a black bear which had found one of the camper's snack-laden backpacks.
I ran back to the wiener roast. "Bear! Bear! Get in the boats!"
"Oh, Mr. Murph. Ha-ha-ha."
Then they saw I was serious, and we abandoned that campsite for my parents' nearby cabin. There, I re-explained why we couldn't leave food out in the open. That campsite now has bear boxes (and some nice tent pads as well).

Great built-up, by the way. I'd love to score these as well.

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
Nice work, Chris!! I used to backpack in Colorado back in the early 70's and was always glad we didn't see any bears!! Really good looking model. - Denis

1 - 20 of 27 Posts