Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this great grail is being reissued in 2010, I posted these wips, just to show how detailed and great this kit actually is.
Randy

Finished model

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Wow is right! You did a fantastic job of building and painting that, Randy - It just makes me that much more excited that Moebius is reissuing this kit! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
That is a beautiful model. Thanks for posting, again. I never had that kit from Aurora, but will be buying the re-issue. Wondeful news!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hmm...

Do the figure in shades of gray and put it behind a 1/35 Stuart tank with a Confederate flag...

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Hmm...

Do the figure in shades of gray and put it behind a 1/35 Stuart tank with a Confederate flag...
HAH! I thought I was the only one who remembered "The Haunted Tank"! Cool, Rattrap! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
When this Conf. Raider kit is reissued, there might be a lot of exasperated posts concerning the saddle, bridle and stirrups! What struck me about this kit is that it requires a lot of patience and repeat-efforts, and must have been difficult for kids back in the days it was around (1959).
It's best to assemble the Confederate first, in the body position you want him, not painted yet, then put him on the saddle, to see where his feet and left hand end up; then match the reins to his left hand before putting the stirrups onto his boots; then glue the reins and saddle/stirrups as sub-assemblies, preferably before painting so that you're glueing unpainted plastic and can get a good bond.
Then when everything has been painted and the figure is being sat on the horse, the boots fit into the stirrups nicely and the left hand meets the reins just right because the positions have been measured and glued at the beginning.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When this Conf. Raider kit is reissued, there might be a lot of exasperated posts concerning the saddle, bridle and stirrups! What struck me about this kit is that it requires a lot of patience and repeat-efforts, and must have been difficult for kids back in the days it was around (1959).
It's best to assemble the Confederate first, in the body position you want him, not painted yet, then put him on the saddle, to see where his feet and left hand end up; then match the reins to his left hand before putting the stirrups onto his boots; then glue the reins and saddle/stirrups as sub-assemblies, preferably before painting so that you're glueing unpainted plastic and can get a good bond.
Then when everything has been painted and the figure is being sat on the horse, the boots fit into the stirrups nicely and the left hand meets the reins just right because the positions have been measured and glued at the beginning.
Like I said in my earlier post, this model isnt for the faint of heart, took me about an hour to mount the figure correctly, but it can be done, as you can see in my pics.
The fit of the figure was tight, this model isnt for a kid, the warrior is an easier kit to assemble.
Randy

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even Zorro was tricky to mount in saddle, oh well thats modelling lol, wouldnt be fun without those advil moments :)

Randy

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
HAH! I thought I was the only one who remembered "The Haunted Tank"! Cool, Rattrap! :thumbsup:
There was a new version of The Haunted Tank that featured an Abrams in Iraq recently.

Hmmm, I wonder what would work best to get a "ghostly" look to the figure when it gets re-released next year..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts