Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SORRY FORGOT this is OFF TOPIC

me and my wife have discussed it and i am buying a volkswagen beetle. I would like a pre 1970 and have found a 1964 and several superbeetles. What are the easiest and most reliable models to own and use as daily drivers?
btw the 64 is 2 tone and i have yet to see it but i will post pics as soon as i see it next week maybe if i have time to even go see it. a guy at work is going through a pretty nasty divorce and i told him i wanted a daily driver and he said i could have it for next to nothing so long as i took care of it

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
From what I know about early cars in general is that anything prior to '71 or so is your beast bet. They should be all the same basically once you get that old.
Allthough there where a couple different size engines...1600 for the late '60s??? and a 1300 early '60s??? Something like that, and I'm not sure if one is preferable over the other. Fuel enjected ones started around '73 and from what I understand you may want to avoid those.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Also, with the older vw's-I believe pre-67-they had a six volt elec. system. The later ones had a 12 volt system. Check the usual items-accident damage, rust etc. heater boxes, if that's important to you. The Superbeetles had a mcpherson strut front suspension and some may consider that better for daily driver chores. Later Mexican built beetles (not officially imported to the U.S.)could be had with a/c-option of course. But its not likely you'll find one of those for sale.

Also, if you are adventurous you could get any Beetle you like, then swap in a Subaru boxer engine(e.g. Impreza WRX-225 hp) for hp, a/c and reliability.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
OK, Here goes, yest pre 67's were 6 volt but it is an easy swap to make them a 12 volt. Just a pain to ewith out every lightbulb in the car, also flashers and wipermoters etc... but it makes it nice when you install good toons.
RUST IS THE ENEMY! Liik at all of the rocker panels and under the rear seat, that where the battery is hid. Rusty panels on the outside are a pain but can be replaced. Look under the fenderwells as well. In fact if you are considering buying a beetle find the book: An Idiots guide to Volkswagens heck here is the link YOU NEED THIS BOOK!..besides it is a funny and good read!

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I had a non fuel injected '73, it was indestructable in normal every day abuse, I was 19yo and BELIEVE ME that car took some SERIOUS abuse. Off road, on road, in the ditch, in the air, you name it! Drove straight over a curb at 40+ mph and it didn't even wimper. I would strongly suggest you check the underbody strenuously, my driver's floorboard was gone,,,,swiss cheese,,,and the frame had some rust too near the pedals. the floor under the back seat was probably gone too. That was 1985, 27 short years ago and I live in VA, we don't get crazy snow every year, tons of salt etc. Check it well my friend and good luck!

If I was gonna offer really sound advice I'd just tell ya to buy a Dodge!:p

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was told as well to check where the battery goes and in fact the man with the 64 said it probably would be an issue. would it be dumb if i got the 64 to change the rear windows to the fold outs? he said he has a set to put in it just never got around to it. i also have heard from everyone i know that owns one at work (7 people) that the floor pans being replaced is apparently something they just plan on doing every 10-15 years ;). Did you say i wouldnt be able to put a modern radio in a pre 67 if i didnt convert it to 12 volt? DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe all those 71's and 73's that appear to be everywhere around here in fairly good shape arent such a bad idea.
Lpgeoteacher will definitely check out that book and thanks to all for the advice. An engine swap would be nice but i want the MPG not the HP ;) and A/C isnt really an issue i didnt have a car with A/C until 2003. i have heard that heating a VW can be a problem since its an aircooled engine are the electric under dash heaters good enough? i guess they would have to be cause i want a bug really bad, i think i have bug fever!!! lol
thanks again guys will keep it updated

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Is it true that vw made all the wiring the exact length it needed to be with no slack?

Speaking of radio an old timer at work always tells us a story about how his mom got mad at his dad for buying a beetle for $1200. Said that she let him get the spare tire but not the radio because it was too expensive!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
get a '68 bug..... mine was indestructible. literally, it wouldn't die. my 17 year old driving habits should have done the trick but that car wouldn't quit.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I got a '68 I'd sell ya if you were here. Just needs a paint job. No rust and runs like a champ. Times are tough and it's gonna have to go in the spring.

·
Registered
995 Posts
before you decide on a SuperBeetle, check into aftermarket support for them specifically. I owned a couple Supers in my younger days, and never found good body parts/glass/anything else I wanted to fix them up, so I sold them quick.
Supers are larger then a regular Beetle (IIRC) and have curved front glass, as an easy way to tell them apart.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
As you read from all the other Hobby Talk members, I would keep it simple, and I do agree with everyone here. Try to purchase a 12volt VW, and try to find one with little rust and no extensive rot! I will assure you it is worth the extra money to pay for a rust-free car, because correcting rust issues would consume extensive dollars if you were to correct it yourself! Mechanically, all Beetles were built well. They all seemed to stay simple, they were all reliable, and they all ran fairly well. I do hope that when you find your special Beetle, you will enjoy it, and share some pictures with all of us here at Hobby-Talk! Good luck, --Al.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the brakes have been applied on the 64. the man that owns it told me on saturday that it would take way too much work to get running again. it has been sitting for 8+ years. He did say he had converted it to 12volt before he parked it but he said the battery pan was rotted out completely and who knows what kinds of rats nest i would find in it. so the search is still on but i have a feeling if i really get to looking it wont take me long to find a nice bug ;) thanks for all the info again guys will definitely get pics posted when i get one. i almost forgot, did someone say the superbeetles are larger than the older ones? that is good to know seeing as how my 6'3" frame might not enjoy a car that is too small haha.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've owned 3 different bugs ranging from 1960 to 1971, a 1970 van and 1969 campmobile. The best engine to have is the dual port 1600 for a little more power, but 1500 and single port 1600 will do you fine. Almost everything is interchangeable between the early years and I've swapped out 1300 engines for 1600 w/o any problems. Engine swaps are VERY simple, only 4 bolts plus one on the starter, gas line and throttle cable.
It has been many years since I've owned a VW, but they are great little cars, very easy to keep running, but very cold in the winter (horrible heaters).

Have fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts