Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
I don't know. I've been on my best behavior recently. ;)

I just like how it takes both of you to match one of me in a debate. :wave:

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Hi,
I'm here.
Always reading, but can't always respond (busy with my business etc - speaking of which how much does it cost to support this board? Can Velocity Studios become a sponser?).

And if you need to get hold of me fast, NEVER use the email that is on my profile (this is set up with my wife's PC with our service provider Aldelphia; HobbyTalk will not allow me to change this!);

ALWAYS use [email protected] for the quickest responses.

-Peter

Regarding Swifty:
I would like to hear his theory on the Playart/ZylmexZee/Yatming enigma (to discuss here or on another diecast area). Did one merge into the other etc? Though some of the cars between these companies are similar, they are not exact. Elaborate etc and give me your best evidence... :wave:

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
modsquad said:
Regarding Swifty:
I would like to hear his theory on the Playart/ZylmexZee/Yatming enigma (to discuss here or on another diecast area). Did one merge into the other etc? Though some of the cars between these companies are similar, they are not exact. Elaborate etc and give me your best evidence...
LMAO. If I had a time machine and could speak Chinese fluently, I'd give you a decent answer. But you want a theory, and I can't even deliver. I give you wild speculation instead:

My best guess (and this is a wild stab in the dark!): I have heard that Yatming uses their facilities for producing other brands of diecast- perhaps they started in the diecast business by helping Playart and decided they could do better on their own? The Playart/Yatming connection seems strongest at the very beginning of each firm- they drifted further apart over the years.

Notice how many Yatmings appear to be inspired (copied?) from Tomicas: Lincoln Continental, Cadillac Fleetwood, Rolls Royce, Dodge Coronet Custom, and possibly a few others. Perhaps Yatming helped Tomica produce Pocket Cars in exchange for use of the molds? Then again, Zylmex has that Lincoln too. And Welly has Tomica's Mustang II and Coronet. And while many of the opening door Yatming 1000 series cars are not Tomica clones, they may have drawn their inspiration from them- perfectly scaled replicas with opening doors of cars no one else bothered doing (examples: Dodge Aspen for Yatming, Oldsmobile Toronado XSR for Tomica).

Zylmex and Yatming... no clue. But they do have a few interesting shared cars (like what appears to be a shrunken casting of Matchbox's '72 Mustang...however these two do not match perfectly). Playart and Zylmex... no clue.

Those are my wild guesses. Most of what I know on the subject I read on "Tales Of Toy Cars" years ago. The rest is from my own observations of Yatmings/Tomicas.

You've actually studied the subject. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Sorry for such a short and rather uninspired answer. :freak: :eek: :drunk:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts