Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to my Father's house to take a look at my old hot wheels and matchbox cars that I had and played with as a kid. From what I saw in my car carriers brought back many fond memories of youthful play. A couple cars even had a little dirt on them from playing on my outdoor track, lol.

As I was in my early 20's my mother (god rest her soul) would occasionally buy a car here and there. Don't ask me why, I still think it was funny. I guess she just liked to do so, mostly probably because they were discounted, lol.

I got the cars home and this is what I found.

Now a couple of questions.

The last picture of the Wonder trucks are the same truck it appears. Is it just the packaging that is different? I do see it says "new paint style". Looks the same to me. :confused:

Also, I looked on Ebay for the Pepsi truck and there were quite a few on there. Mine is packaged in the opposite direction then the rest I have seen. Does this make it more collectable?

I am obviously new. :wave:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Great stuff and great story about your mother.

My theory about why she purchased the cars even after you were older, they probably reminded her of you playing in the dirt with your Hot Wheels when she would see them. She purchased them so she could keep those memories fresh.

Thanks for sharing part of your life.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Great 80s stuff :thumbsup:

Wonder Bread was a b!tch to find back in the day as it seemed everyone worked for the Company or knew someone who worked for the Company... They never stayed on the pegs long enough....
I dig how you have 2 of them facing opposite of each other :thumbsup:

Value on the Pepsi & Wondrer Bread being packaged in the wrong direction is only up to the person who wants to pay. Its just a package error and not a error of the Car. Mattel had a low % of Cars that were ever released as errors as they had better QC back then and very few squeezed by to be found in the public. Today ??? Mattel will release anything as they know their are people who only collect broken or error HWs so it is a win win situation for both parties.

Hope this helps in Value.... Its only what a person wants to pay for a misplaced backwards car in a blister pack.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Those are some real nice finds there..Makes me wish when I was a kid I had'nt buried all them red lines in the sandbox...doh!! You had a great Mom. :wave:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
those are all in excellent shape, i mean even the blisters look perfectly new. Usually attic stored cars have yellowed brittle blisters. what an awesome belated present i guess. I think the cars faced to the left the majority of the time on older blue cards so any right facing ones would be considered errors. Congrats

·
Registered
923 Posts
This is a great memory to have. A great Mom. If your Dad ever took you to Hooters as a boy I'd say you had the best parents EVER!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts