Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There Is A New Track Almost Complete In Wilson Nc. It Is A High Banked, Egg Shaped Oval, About 230-250 Run Line. These Guys Have Been Running A Dirt Oval For 2-3 Years And Do A Great Job. They Have A Great Turn Out On Dirt And I Know The Concrete Will Be The Same If Not Better. They Are Going To Run Year Round So They May Put Together A Winter Blast Race Or Something. It Will Be A Great Place For You Die Hard Paved Racers To Come Play This Winter And Next Summer As Well. Santioning And Big Races Are Being Looked Into As Well. I Have Attached Some Pics. The Fence,drivers Stand, Infield And Lighting Is Being Worked On Now.

More Info Forthcoming.

It Will Be Two Posts, So I Can Show All Pics.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Track walls

When you put up the track walls do not use boards spend a little more and use plastic lumber the reason is boards grab the car and break it the plastic lumber does not do this. It will make everybudy a lot happer. There is also a few tricks to installing this stuff. I ran a track like this and i learned the hardway. If i can be any help just email me.

Ben Giles
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
OH now you have gone and done it...lol. THis looks realy cool... should be fun to play on next summer.... Not to far from some relitives..... so it's an easy trip......

Billy @ Bandit

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
VARY NICE! :thumbsup: Looks sort'a like Showtime in Bakersfield, here in California. They have a concrete curbing around the top of the track. It is slanted in at the bottom so won't pull in your car. The best part is cornering marshaling, it is all most self clearing.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
track

new pics. man we turned some laps on it today, whewwwww!
fast,fast,multi groove,traction out the .........!

flat foot it an go. ran some .09 nitro and 4wd nitro touring today on it. there is talk about electric pan, just need to get everyone on the same page. i think the pan cars, elec. and nitro are going to be the best classes. it is a pan car track. i know the owners are talknig to jb about arcor santioning and races next year. the drivers stand is supposed to be built over the control tower so it can overlook both tracks. these guys are putting alot into this track. he bought rolls of grass for the outside banking, poured a 16" sidewalk around the top and is planning on concreting the infield next year if not sooner. he is probably going to put about 4" tall thin plywood on the outside, mounted to the wire speedway type fence so it will give a little, but not suck you in. i am thinking that it will be almost like the SAFER barrier in nascar.

only a few weeks from racing. these guys are hardcore, they will race unless snow is on the ground, or raining.

i know it will be too cold for me on some sat. in the winter, but i will run any time above 50 degrees, myself. i think it will be sat. afternoons in the winter and saturday evenings in the summer, finishing under the lights.

check out the recent pics!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pics

cant get pics to upload, it says they are too large. i have them in jpeg format. it says limit is 48kb mine are 390kb., any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
oval you might tell then to try a 6 to 8 inch wall 4 inchs is a bit low and esy to clear.....lol...

Also tell then all they need is a 12 inch apron all the way around on the inside. Save money too...

But still can't wait....

Billy

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wall

well billy, the only reason i said 4", is b/c they have got wire fence about 16" tall w/ curved toward track at the top all the way around track. you will be hard pressed to "get it out of the park". the 4" wall would just be for the cars to glance off of, so they are not sucked into the wall/fence. do you think 4" is still to low in this configuration?????

after talking w/ some of the guys this weekend at the dirt race, there seem to be interest in 4 cell spec,19"0", possibly stock. i know alot of us have brushless around here, so there will probably be a brushless or open mod type class as well.

still working on compressing the lastest pics.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nitro testing

man, i tested my .09 nitro on the track this past sunday. whewwwwww!!

flat-footing it and drive any where on the banking you want to. this will be a very racey track as there are many different fast lines aroud it. i ran high low and in the middle of the bankind and the middle seemed to be the place to be, but it was not that much of a time difference from top to bottom. i was turning 3.7-4.0 lap times wherever i went. the banking turns the car for you.

racing, coming in the next few weeks!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
Where is Wilson in NC? What larger city is it near? The track looks cool and fast! Nitro would be a HOOT!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
eastern nc. b/n raleigh and greenville,nc
only 1.5 miles off of 264 on nc 42.

i have talked to the owners alot about getting racers here. he wants to know if there is any interest in a winterblast type race???
maybe trophies, raffle, and such.

they have said, that they plan on having a big race sometime in may, but maybe we can drag out the paved oval guys and cars for a winter shootout. i can handle the cold once and awhile. who knows?? this is nc, so it may be nice out even in january.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Cliff. find a map of NC and go up 95 and look to the right. Should be past Smithfield and Selma on the map.

As far as a winter Blast race check around real good before setting a date and spending money on trophies. most of the out door racers, most not all have begun racing indoors on carpet. I would hate for them to get a bad taste by holding a race and racers not show up because they have commited to indoors for the winter.

But it still looks good for racing on.....

Billy @ Bandit

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
thanks Billy, Hey I tried the Bandit MC on my nitro car and got real solid results, good job guys!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Cliff wait till you try the new Short Track Ford on it ...... you want be able to stop it from turning.....lol.

Already talked to humpty about this track and hitting it next year you will have to make the trip i know we are looking forward to it.....

Billy

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
good maybe you will have some ready by the time we all go to Daytona and race nitro cars!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts