Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was spurred on by 4MM's work with the Star Trek Season One titles and I knew that my textures were not detailed enough to hold up to the post processing treatment I put the images through nor a true close-up.

It has also been a goal of mine to be able to create an image that may not duplicate the images but to come close enough to loose the CGI look of an image and maybe the casual viewer might not know that they were looking at a CGI remake.

This all stemmed from an idea I had years ago of getting the original effects film and digitally scanning and compositing the images that would eliminate the ghosting and other artifacts from film work. I figured (at the time) that about 30 some odd years had passed and the film probably didn't exist anymore or even if it did, I would never get the chance or the money to perform such a task. The next best thing would be to "duplicate" the work in CGI and try to come close enough that you wouldn't know the difference.

This is what I have been playing with for the Engineering section. Spec map will change drastically. I'm trying for some subtle texturing for panels.

I have an aztec pattern on the upper saucer for specularity and have had that there for a couple of years now but I never did get the effect I wanted on the rest of the ship.

I've always felt my textures (such as they were) were terrible.

Final version.

First attempt and the original for comparison.

First shot of new textures.

New textures on engineering hull.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I think I'll keep this version.

New texture final shot.

This is the CBS Digital update version for comparison from TrekMovies.com

No grain.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With film grain.

Medium shot with upper saucer and engineering hull new textures.

Far shot with new saucer texture.

Far shot with new saucer texture and film grain.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL! That's the greatest post I've ever seen! THANK YOU!!

Yes, the one labeled "Final Version" is my CGI shot using TrueSpace 4.3 and Photoshop for the film grain and desaturation. The only shots from the show are the two with the Botany Bay in them. The first is the original (and labeled as a screen cap) and the second is from the CBS Digital Update of Star Trek and labeled as coming from TrekMovies.com. The rest are mine.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Your welcome, lol. Your final version looks so close...I was tricked at first then I saw the comparison and said wait...maybe that is his. Great job. I knew the rest where and the cbs one. Unlike others looking fake and to crisp looking that final version looks pretty darn good. Now just improve the closeups :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
She looks fantastic except for the secondary and nacelle hull lines and heavy plating. I think she should be monotone just like the original. No lines like those erroneously added by "Mr. Ed" after his smithsonian "restoration(i.e. total reimagineering)" of the original TOS E.

If you could make those imperceptible she'd be darn near perfect, IMOpinion!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fiercegaming said:
Your welcome, lol. Your final version looks so close...I was tricked at first then I saw the comparison and said wait...maybe that is his. Great job. I knew the rest where and the cbs one. Unlike others looking fake and to crisp looking that final version looks pretty darn good. Now just improve the closeups :thumbsup:
I really appreciate that! The closeups were all straight renders just to show what I was doing with the texturing. I will be rendering fairly close passes for the Second Season Credits and we'll see if it holds up.

Thank you very much!
Chuck_P.R. said:
She looks fantastic except for the secondary and nacelle hull lines and heavy plating. I think she should be monotone just like the original. No lines like those erroneously added by "Mr. Ed" after his smithsonian "restoration(i.e. total reimagineering)" of the original TOS E.

If you could make those imperceptible she'd be darn near perfect, IMOpinion!
Thanks Chuck! My original version that I used for years was exactly like that.

But she didn't hold up well to close passes.

I actually do not like imposing extra detail like Ed Miarecki's "restoration" and I will not be doing any straight renders to show that detail for my episode effects. The details could have been randomly generated for my current project since they should be pretty much invisible in the final product.

I chose this level of detail with fluctuations in tone and specularity so that after desaturation and adding film grain and a slight blur in Photoshop that the eye would still perceive something. I am hoping that all that was wrong with my early renders is that they look CGI simply because the eye notices that the hull is too regular and too perfect.

If the result looks like it has no plating and no harsh detail, ... wait, I just realized that I was basically asking "Does the end justify the means?" LOL!

You tell me! LOL!

·
Starship Class
11,865 Posts
Wow! You've really nailed it! The nacelle effects are dead on! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhhhh! (*sigh of 3D render relief*) LOL!

Thanks PerfesserCoffee! I worked on coming up with a unique way to handle the nacelles in TrueSpace. I'm glad you like the results!

·
Starship Class
11,865 Posts
^^It seems to be the hardest thing to get. CBS Video is nearly there but you got it now!

I also appreciate the fact that you didn't put in that stupid dark spot in the middle of the lower sensor dome on the saucer. CBS seems to think it belongs there for some reason.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I agree w/all the other positive accolades of your work. I also don't have a problem w/the panel lines as they're shown in your images, either. I think it looks just fine as it's pretty darned subtle. I've seen other fan-work that has the panel lines and aztecing, but not nearly so low-key as yours.

Great job! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PerfesserCoffee said:
^^It seems to be the hardest thing to get. CBS Video is nearly there but you got it now!

I also appreciate the fact that you didn't put in that stupid dark spot in the middle of the lower sensor dome on the saucer. CBS seems to think it belongs there for some reason.
Thanks! Having spent a couple years on the Warp Domes and a few months on the "recipe" for the film grain, I'd say it was a challenge but the warp domes were harder! LOL!

Yeah, I agree about the dark spot. There are some things on the model I do just because I think they should be there. :)
John Duncan said:
Excellent work! With the film grain it really captures the look and feel.

:)
Thank you very much! I appreciate all the support you all have shown me!
Griffworks said:
I agree w/all the other positive accolades of your work. I also don't have a problem w/the panel lines as they're shown in your images, either. I think it looks just fine as it's pretty darned subtle. I've seen other fan-work that has the panel lines and aztecing, but not nearly so low-key as yours.

Great job! :thumbsup:
Thanks! I figure they're entertaining for me ... as long as they're invisible on the final renders. LOL!

Thank you for all your kind support!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since this is a WIP, I need to keep changing it. To get it even closer to the source image, I need a SS Botany Bay to pull along side.

Here's the start.

I'm using the inestimable Cloudster.com images of the original model.

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/BotanyBay/BotanyBay.htm

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/BotanyBay/bb01.jpg

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/BotanyBay/bb02.jpg

I guess genetically engineered supermen need a really big pencil. ;)

I'm also using Phil Broad's DY-100 plans. They don't match up in all angles and such and the plans are a little too pointy at the end (so I rounded it off) but they are the best ones I have seen of the Botany Bay! Excellent stuff.

Thanks for looking in everyone!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy cow! No disrespect intended at all! They are wonderful plans and as I said, I think they are the most accurate I have ever seen. Thanks for looking in! (Wow!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts