Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody replace what holds Frankie`s arms? Need some ideas.Looking for something besides what is given to hold his arms on & will last many years.Any good suggestions? Wire is an option I`m considering.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was thinking about using a long skinny spring wired to the plastic loop plate. Also have a big red beefy rubber band I found somewhere. I would ckeck a hardware store selection.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Elastic rots too quickly.Then your stuck with the task of removing the head again.My guess is that was a chief reason the kit tanked when Aurora did it.They just supplied a big elastic band.I can remember giving up as a kid & gluing the arms to the body.The Moebious band is much better but still won`t last.I`m "not" in anyway trying to diss Moebious about this.A company can only do so much & sometimes a builder has to be inventive.I`m leaning towards trying wire.The kit is not meant to be a toy but try & explain this to someone who doesn`t build & collect kits.I`ve had people grab mine & start spinning the arms around.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I'm not referring to elastic as in rubber bands. I'm referring to woven, stretchable elastic fabric. The stuff that is used for wrist bands, head bands and belts. I have used that for similar purposes without fail. Go talk to a local fabric supplier or search online for elastic fabric. It is available for many applications. It is tough, durable, and long-lasting.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not referring to elastic as in rubber bands. I'm referring to woven, stretchable elastic fabric. The stuff that is used for wrist bands, head bands and belts. I have used that for similar purposes without fail. Go talk to a local fabric supplier or search online for elastic fabric. It is available for many applications. It is tough, durable, and long-lasting.
Thanx. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used a very small bungie cord. It worked perfectly. If only I could remember where I got it. :( Another thing you can do is buy the shortest bungie cord you can find and knot it up to take up some of the length. You might want to do an Internet search for bungie cords.

Elastic and rubber bands will break over time.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried the smallest I could find.I did the knot thing & if I only could have put one more knot in it would have worked.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well bizzarobrian,if the elastic is anything like what's in my socks,it will probably loosen as it aged!:rolleyes:I googled a 3/8" inch diameter X 6" long wire extension spring,sorta like a screen door spring. It looks to me like it might just work,if it is not too strong or too weak. And as long as the glue bond is solid. Gonna scope some springs on my next trip to Home Depot.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
There are many types of elastic fabric. The kind that holds up your socks and underwear is a very weak variety. There is no reason why quality elastic fabric cords cannot last indefinitely, if properly installed and not subjected to harsh chemicals, extreme heat, etc. These conditions would probably ruin your model before they would destroy the elastic cords inside.

I never use rubber bands for anything that has to be sealed, or that I otherwise want to last. Rubber will always deteriorate over time. Good quality elastic fabric bands or cords should last as long as the model.

Be cautious if using springs, as they may slowly lose their tension (i.e. stretch) over time if they are bearing a constant load.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are many types of elastic fabric. The kind that holds up your socks and underwear is a very weak variety. There is no reason why quality elastic fabric cords cannot last indefinitely, if properly installed and not subjected to harsh chemicals, extreme heat, etc. These conditions would probably ruin your model before they would destroy the elastic cords inside.

I never use rubber bands for anything that has to be sealed, or that I otherwise want to last. Rubber will always deteriorate over time. Good quality elastic fabric bands or cords should last as long as the model.

Be cautious if using springs, as they may slowly lose their tension (i.e. stretch) over time if they are bearing a constant load.
Most rubber naturally get`s crumbly over time.Bungees last a long time but getting the fit is the problem.Wire "might" twist & break but again it`s not a toy.Some people don`t know better & will play with the arms anyway.That was the first thing my daughter did to it when I showed it to her.I had to ask her not to play with the arms.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Elastic rots too quickly.Then your stuck with the task of removing the head again.
Only my third post (I'm a lurker).

I don't understand the problem. Why would you remove the head to replace the elastic holding the arms?

After everything was painted, I put the arms on last. That's why a stretchy cord is used. You tie it to one arm, fish it out the other side and loop it to the other arm. The tension pulls the arms against the body. It works perfectly. If it ever fails, grab an elastic band and do it again. Even if the elastic rots after a while, it's a quick fix. It takes a couple of minutes and certainly doesn't require removing the head. It's simple and effective.

Is this really difficult?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only my third post (I'm a lurker).

I don't understand the problem. Why would you remove the head to replace the elastic holding the arms?

After everything was painted, I put the arms on last. That's why a stretchy cord is used. You tie it to one arm, fish it out the other side and loop it to the other arm. The tension pulls the arms against the body. It works perfectly. If it ever fails, grab an elastic band and do it again. Even if the elastic rots after a while, it's a quick fix. It takes a couple of minutes and certainly doesn't require removing the head. It's simple and effective.

Is this really difficult?

You must have pretty loose arms on yours because in order to get a snug fit you need a band that`s quite abit shorter then the width of the kit.It`s a major pain trying to fish it across besides I`m looking for something permanent not something I want to change every 5 yrs.:freak:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts