Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have become aware that some modelers don't want my new Orion model to have recessed panel lines. Have a look--

Frankly, the lines do pose a problem in that the molds will 'give up' those details first. I'd like to know if anyone else has a preference regarding this feature. While the lines have already been scribed, I can very easily fill them in as I work to finish the masters. Many of you may know that the lines on the original filming model were simply drawn on with a pencil, so adding the panel lines in the same way would be correct.

I can go either way, since the scribing has been done. Not having the lines helps with mold life, so filling them in helps in that respect. On the other hand, I would have to produce a graphic reference for the builder to be able to add the pencil lines accurately.

So, add your two-cents here and I'll get a good idea of how this should go.

Scott

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have loved this ship since seeing the movie for the first time. I had the original Airfix kit and I just did the new Mobius kit. While I would love to have this version, sadly with Darth Real Life, it looks slim. I would however say keep the panel lines. I'm skilled to an extent, but drawing those lines on would be a pain in the arse. Others with more talent than I will probably say make it a smoothie. If I ever have the money I would like the grid lines left on. Maybe I'll have the money for one around Xmass....

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's a hard one to call but having the panel lines as part of the kit allows the customer to keep them or fill them in, howerver, having to scribe the lines may put off potential purchasers.
Any news on the aries kit?

Clactonite

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
from a user perspective, I'd rather fill in lines I dont like rather than to try to scribe lines I'd like to have but aren't in the kit

·
Registered
350 Posts
Even though I'm at the top of the preorder list and not worried about the molds giving out that soon, I'd prefer to keep them. Easy to fill if I change my mind and easier to re-scribe any breaks or skips.

I think some of the comments were jokes based on the endless R2 Enterprise debate. I'd do what you feel is right.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
from a user perspective, I'd rather fill in lines I dont like rather than to try to scribe lines I'd like to have but aren't in the kit
If I were able to purchase this beauty, I'd agree with Lou, even though there's a mold-life issue.

I also can't imagine how a suitable reference could be produced that would be useful to all but the more highly skilled modellers who are used to tracing plans onto surfaces ... maybe using carbon paper? Or maybe a guide with measurements would be the easiest thing to produce, but again, realizing that on the model would take some level of old-school skill. But, maybe that skilled group is the target market for this piece.

Decals? Yikes! Ideally, I'd like to see pre-cut self-adhesive vinyl (Lou!) with the pinstripes removable for spray-painting the lines, but that's a lot of vinyl.

Punch-out cards to place on the hull to use as guides? Maybe. Would they have to be slightly adhesive?

I guess it comes down to how "turnkey" do you want this kit to be, Cap.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I have become aware that some modelers don't want my new Orion model to have recessed panel lines. Have a look--

Frankly, the lines do pose a problem in that the molds will 'give up' those details first. I'd like to know if anyone else has a preference regarding this feature. While the lines have already been scribed, I can very easily fill them in as I work to finish the masters. Many of you may know that the lines on the original filming model were simply drawn on with a pencil, so adding the panel lines in the same way would be correct.

I can go either way, since the scribing has been done. Not having the lines helps with mold life, so filling them in helps in that respect. On the other hand, I would have to produce a graphic reference for the builder to be able to add the pencil lines accurately.

So, add your two-cents here and I'll get a good idea of how this should go.

Scott

I won't pretend those are the finest panel lines I've ever seen but they don't look too bad to me. I was one of the people disappointed in the Moebius Orion as it didn't have much real panel lines.

Some people want an exact replica of the studio models (which as many people will know can be crude and rough) but there are others of us that want a replica of what we see on the screen. I.e a real space ship with real panel lines....not pencil lines.

Pencil lines only look good on screen to me and I don't think there's any substitute for real fine panel lines.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
I know it's extra work, but FWIW I think I'd prefer to scribe (and in some cases pencil-in) my own lines. Given the scale, the back-of-the-broken-Xacto-blade custom scribing technique should work beautifully, and I suspect the final results would look far more convincing than the more pronounced lines depicted in Scott's pix.

Another possibility to consider... perhaps include pre-scribed panels for the larger lines (e.g. wing surfaces and larger, more pronounced fuselage lines). If the "heavy" lines were designed into the kit, it would then be a relatively simple matter to X-acto-in the finer panel detail (reference to which is now widely available).

Your call, Scott, but I think the best approach for a model of this scale might be a happy medium between "no panel lines" and "every single panel line." Pre-scribe the heavier panels, and leave the fine stuff for the modeler and his trusty scribe tool/drafting pencil/ paint masking system.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
^^ I think Carson hit it on the head with a good compromise. Leave the major lines, let the builder do the fine ones with a pencil or X-acto.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I'm not as intimate with this subject as some of y'all. I didn't know there were two "levels" of panels.

If that's the case, then Rob's idea has merit, as long as those "commonly available" reference photos are included in the instructions (or fullsize templates ) to aid the lesser skilled amongst us in getting those lines in the correct locations

·
Oxidation Genius
31,239 Posts
Oh lord, is this whole thread because I was kidding around about the gridlines in the other thread? I'm sorry, guys. Scott! I was kidding! We'd been arguing about the gridlines on the Enterprise and I was just being silly.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Actually, that's how i took your response as well, John ... just in fun.
Scott, i think most of us will go along with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I say go with the lines.

Penciling will not look that good on this spacecraft and I really don't want to do the extra work drawing them on.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay guys, I'll leave them alone!

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts