Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built him for the Group build over in the model section. I thought some might be interested here.

He is built straight out of the box. The only deviation was painting
him red.

Over all a very nice kit for its time. There are some fit issues with his
legs, but nothing that cant be fixed with a bit of sanding.
The plastic seems a bit brittle, I almost ruined one of his hands.

If your interested in the build details you can check out the group
build thread.

The helmet seem is kind of ugly, but there is not much
that can be done about it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Looks good. I first bought this kit when I was a kid, and I normally painted kits like the box art. I like the different suit color and have seen a few others using various colors. I'm a bit disappointed with the white I used back then, but now I can use a new kit and paint him with better colors, and make a nice base from Sculpy to put the figures on.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
That's a really good build! I'm not being critical of your work but man, that's an awkward pose, isn't it? It's kind of all over the place, visual direction-wise! :)

Is there an authoritative history of this kit anywhere? Was it a mold that was re-purposed for the 'space craze' or something?

Shoot, I bet that could be worked up into a decent Dan Dare figure...

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

The kit is a re release of the old Revell kit from the '60s. It is a stand alone kit loosely based on the Flash Gordon
comic strip.

Yah, the pose is awkward. Someone in the group build re positioned his arms a bit to make him a little bit more
realistic.

And yes! he could be converted into a nice Dan Dare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts