Hobbyist Forums banner

What should I do with this ERTL refit?

• Finish it - to justify the time put in to it already.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Finish it - to give it away.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slap it together to give away.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slap it together to blow it up with firecrackers.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Give it away as is. (unfinished)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Pack it away for another day.

Votes: 27 47.4%
  • Just throw it away.

Votes: 3 5.3%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on an ERTL Refit U.S.S. ENTERPRISE in-between
other kits. I started serious work on it this month, focusing
solely on it. The various ideas I had, and are trying, didn't work
as well as planned.
I'm starting to hate it.

Should I continue, and finish it, ensuring all the hassle, pain,
suffering, and stress was not in vain?

Or should I quit now, and cut my losses?

How far along am I?
The ship is base-coated, and most of the detailing I wanted is done.
The inside is painted to block light- I plan to put 16 L.E.D.s inside
to light the windows and Deflector Dish.
I tried to make a very faint "Engineering Green" to accent the
secondary hull, but it came out light a sea-green.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
NEVER GIVE UP , NEVER SURRENDER!
Just take a break and relax.:thumbsup:
-Jim

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
When I hit one like that, I have at least 4 that are in stasis, I just set it aside and do another. Then when maybe I feel like I have figured out what is giving me headaches with the frustrating kit I get it back out and continue. I recently did that with Nostradamus and when I got him back out and finished it actually turned out the best I have ever done. But continuing when it seems only to be giving you a migraine is probably not good. Wait for the inspiration to strike again and then get it out.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,282 Posts
Exactly and can't even count the number of kits I've set aside for later. Some I go back to weeks, months, even decades later.

Then again, if the model really ticked me off, I've been known to smash the sucker into tiny bits. Sometimes with a BB gun.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Set it aside for now and work on other projects. Whatever issue(s) you're having will sort itself out in your head sooner or later and you'll be able to finish it when you have the solution to your current issues! :)

A lot of my projects are that way, they get to a certain point and when I hit a road block in the process, it gets set aside for the time being. That being said, it's more than high time I took a figurative hammer to those road blocks (more mental than actual) and get more of them DONE!

Someday you'll decide you can finish it. If not, offer it up and someone else probably will be able to take it more or less in the direction you started it in.

The AMT Refit still makes a decent display model, if somewhat problematic with its parts breakdown.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't give up. Give some time.

Hello,
I know in considering model building it can be an obsession or a fun hobby. If you desire perfection then obsession is usually the road. To me that is where the fun usually stops. If it's not fun then you will not do your best. Frustration will make sure of that.
With all the added details that can be done to a model today the temptation is to use them all.
To be honest the models I have on display in my office are only viewed by passing folks who don't have a clue about elaborate details. After I'm done with one I do not hover over it critiquing, it's done. It was either fun or a pain.

Good luck!

·
Starship Class
11,939 Posts
I like coming back to 50-90% finished kits a lot later and go back to work on them since it's like getting a present from yourself of all that previous hard work that went into it.

Put it aside for a while and you can come back and decide more exactly how you want to do it--reset your priorities, in other words.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I generally have to bring my work home with me. I do this hobby because it's totally different from what I do as a job that it takes me away from my work for a few hours. If you don't find this particular model relaxing or fun, put it away. You will get back to it with fresh mind and eyes later.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
It is ironic to me that this question has come up at this moment in time. It is exactly the question I have been pondering for the last few weeks.

You see, I have been out of modeling for years and just recently got the bug again when I discovered the R2 Refit. I thought it would be a good idea to redevelop my modeling skills before jumping on a project of that size.

It just so happens that the last model I was working on (15 years ago) was the very same AMT/Ertl Refit in question. I thought it would be a good idea to resurrect this kit and "this kit" I told myself this would be perfect practice for my upcoming Big E project.

When I last worked on the old AMT kit it was pretty far along. I couldn't remember exactly why I shelved it but as I got back into it my memories returned. The paint job I gave the kit back then was all wrong (flat off white paint, incorrect choices for detail colors etc.) "I can live with that" I told myself. "The next one will be better" "Just keep plugging" I said.

Then I thought "Hey I can try new techniques and that will be a good thing". So I started doing things like highlighting some panel lines, acurizing the lower sensor dome, making windows etc. I was thinking that this was all cool stuff and I'm having a great time and this kit will come out ok, not great but still good 'nuff.

And then it happened.

I got to the point were it was time to put some of the parts together; the pylon supports, the nacelles, the neck. This was the time when the reality of this kit kicked in...

Nothing fits very well. Lots and lots and lost of seam work everywhere, not just standard stuff but truly poor engineering, dimples, the lousy window fit in the saucer section , the pseudo aztek poo. Its a mess I wish I never started because its so poor it can't be done well. A true travesty in plastic. A veritable sin in styrene.

[Rant mode off]

I'll finish this kit and it will look ok. I'll have learned a few things in the process but man-o-man what a pain. I guess the old saying applies "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger". Whoever said that must have been talking about this box of plastic.

I'll get through it but I will never be that same. :freak:

Regards,
MattL

PS: Anyone care for a round of Baseball bat golf ? ;)

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Once you get the leds going, you will be happy. A major milestone like that propels things forward. You are just in between the crests of the waves right now.

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
I'm in the "put it aside and come back to it later" camp. If it's more work than fun, odds are it won't be completed to your satisfaction. If you revisit the kit at a later date with a fresh perspective, fresh eyes, and fresh ideas, it could all just fall into place and make the build more enjoyable.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
. . . I guess the old saying applies "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger". Whoever said that must have been talking about this box of plastic.
It was a dude named Friedrich Nietzsche. Don't think he ever built models, though.

. . .If it's more work than fun, odds are it won't be completed to your satisfaction.
I'm also firmly in the "put it aside, you can always come back to it later" camp. Take Otter's advice:
http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2009-12-20_1075195414485417/movies/animal_house/work_on_game.wav

·
Registered
289 Posts
Exactly and can't even count the number of kits I've set aside for later. Some I go back to weeks, months, even decades later.
That is how I finish a lot of stuff. I am not patient at all, My Daedelus sat on the shelf for about three years before I finished a couple of weeks ago. Drop it, do something else, the mood will swing back.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hello,
I know in considering model building it can be an obsession or a fun hobby. If you desire perfection then obsession is usually the road. To me that is where the fun usually stops. If it's not fun then you will not do your best. Frustration will make sure of that.
With all the added details that can be done to a model today the temptation is to use them all.
To be honest the models I have on display in my office are only viewed by passing folks who don't have a clue about elaborate details. After I'm done with one I do not hover over it critiquing, it's done. It was either fun or a pain.

Good luck!
Good Point,I have been building models for many years and I want to have fun as I build them.Yes I strive to do the best that I can but if I may minor errors I live with them.My skill is good but the bottom line is plastic model building(Star Trek is intended to be enjoyable.if a person wants to go all out than thats their business but thats not me.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My vote was to pack it up for another day. There are times when working on certain projects, the urge to finish goes away when things either don't go right or take much longer than you expect.

I remember years ago when I was building my 1701-D model, it was the most amount of time and effort I'd put into it, but it was just too much to finish in a "normal" amount of time. I must've pulled the kit our and packed the kit up twice before I got all the lifeboats, windows, etc. painted to where I was happy with it.

If the kit's got you frustrated, just put it away and take some time away from it for now.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, guys.
After reading your responses, I relaxed a bit.
I decided to do one more thing before packing it away for
a respite: I painted the stripe around the bridge module.
It's the recessed part with the windows. ("B" - deck?)
It turned out great! I was worried about hand painting it,
but the paint came out smooth and even.
It's amazing how one small success can improve one's mood.
I feel like finishing it now.
I'm off to Radio Shaft to look for wire to string the L.E.D.s.:wave:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts