Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 644 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
OK now that we got it started, lets forum.
Indoor season is coming soon. What has happened to the tct over the past year.
How are the lite (delrin) drives working?

etc

Rick

K

·
0 Posts
I'm with Pat, AE's lightweight diffs rock. Especially after they run in for a bit; it seems that for me at least after I build them, they need to be readjusted after a run or two, and then again about 10 runs later, but then they're perfect. Mine are at least 3 months old and they're the smoothest they've ever been. Using AE Green Slime on the diff balls and the black thrust grease that comes with the kit.

And I tossed a 10x2 into my car for a bit the other night; didn't notice any problems aside from me learning how to handle insane power. =D

I

·
0 Posts
Rats, I put my reply in the new topic section. You can tell I am new to this. Please view you all.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Delrin diff halves are different than the AE lightweight diffs......BIG difference.

Same with some of the aftermarket aluminum...they slip too.

I

·
0 Posts
what is the big difference between derlin and associated.....by your opinion

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Inacorner, a derlin drive is a replacement piece for the original outdrives, they were steel and very heavy. Since your new dont worry about it, your cars probably have the lightweight Associated outdrives.

The difference is Associated designed their lightweight outdrives correctly and the derlin and aluminum ones out there are just a quick design that really had no thought other than using a lighter material than steel.

About motors, you do know there are different classes? Unless you are going to race modified dont worry about the motor causing you to loose. Also being new you do not I repeat you DO NOT want to run modified, your car will be in pieces.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Have you guys done much body testing? I have run two bodies so far and think both of them were good. The first of course is the Protoform Stratus, but what really suprised me was the brand new Parma Lexus. It almost seems to change directions faster and smoother than the Stratus, especially at high speed. I'd put a picture up, but I don't think we can do that yet. Just my opininion though. What bodies have you guys tried other than the tried and true Stratus? It gets old seeing 40 Stratus' every weekend!!!

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by rayhuang:
Have you guys done much body testing? I have run two bodies so far and think both of them were good. The first of course is the Protoform Stratus, but what really suprised me was the brand new Parma Lexus. It almost seems to change directions faster and smoother than the Stratus, especially at high speed. I'd put a picture up, but I don't think we can do that yet. Just my opininion though. What bodies have you guys tried other than the tried and true Stratus? It gets old seeing 40 Stratus' every weekend!!!</font>
Locally, the Protoform Contour/Mondeo seems to work well (similar to the Stratus). The Pf 300M seems to add top speed (better aerodynamics), but at the cost of being a bit more "loose" (more front downforce than rear, so not as balanced as the Stratus). The Pf Accord seems to have good steering, but is "taller" in the passenger compartment and more boxy, so it gives away some speed on the straights. One local racer is having success with a Mercedes body (not sure of brand), but I don't know any details... The new LOSI Stratus is a very different animal than the other Stratus bodies -- seems much more loose in the tail, and not as balanced as the older designs. OH -- the Andy's/Yokomo Stratus actually seems to have more downforce than the Protoform/Associated Stratus....

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I like the looks of the Andy's body more too, but when I was in the wall every 3 seconds the pretty front end would crack at the fender wells. I'm a little better now. Try the Lexus!!! You will be suprised like me!!!

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by inacorner:
Rats, I put my reply in the new topic section. You can tell I am new to this. Please view you all.</font>
One thing to keep in mind... At the local HobbyTown parking lot races, new racers (which you seem to be) run together in the 'Novice' class, so you are not thrown to the lions...
Check with your local track, but here, the RTR TC3's are treated as "stock" class cars for Novices -- normally the Novice class is limited to stock motors, but the 19 turn motors in the RTR's are allowed. Part of this is because, in all honesty, in the Novice class, the motor isn't what matters -- it's the driving! If you really are just starting out, you will run more laps in a race by driving at a moderate speed, staying away from the pipes, and just not wrecking than by going "fast"...

Enjoy the RTR's 19 turn motor, and worry about speed later... (By the way, the 19 turns are plenty fast for most tracks until/unless you are ready to go head to head with the big dogs in Modified.)

[This message has been edited by tfrahm (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by rayhuang:
I'd put a picture up, but I don't think we can do that yet.</font>
You can put pictures up... just put a square bracket '[' then the letters 'img' followed by the other square bracket ']', followed (no space) by the URL for the picture, then follow by the same bracket, '/img', bracket combination..

I'd like to see a picture of your Lexus...

[This message has been edited by tfrahm (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Okay, here are two Lexus' of mine with very similar paint jobs. I hope this works

I hope the picture is big enough to see. if not feel free to look at my photo album at: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kartchamp20002000/lst?.dir=/RC+pictures&.view=t
[This message has been edited by rayhuang (edited 10-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by rayhuang (edited 10-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by rayhuang (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Thanks for the URL... Those bodies do look very nice. A refreshing change from the usual Stratus...

Parma's web site only lists an 'LX 200' (I believe that's the way they list it)... Do you have a part number for the Lexus body you used?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Yeah, thats them, the Lexus LX200. It looks alot like the American IS300. It is also ROAR legal I just heard, so I am running mine at the Champs!!!!! Must have been an LX 200 Touring car racing in Europe or japan or something. I don't know. Sorry about the lousy-amateur post before. Had to try and get a free photo hosting site ASAP and kinda botched things up a few times!!!

M

·
0 Posts
The parma part # for the lexus is 10134 all the major distributors have them.
Thanks for the interest.MrParma

I

·
0 Posts
Thanks to Patcollins and Tfrahm for the information. I was not aware the RTR is allowed in stock class. I guess the only thing this novice is aware of at this point, is that my car has 4 wheels! I wonder if RTRs will be running in the stock class at JCC. I plan to be there Oct 20/21.
So, I will keep viewing this forum, learning, and one day I will have the saavy and/or lingo down like you experienced old timers! Again, thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 644 Posts