Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While out of town, I went by a specialty shop and they were in the process of unpacking their latest shipment when I spotted one of the AA 1701's just being unpacked from a shipping carton. I purchased it on the spot.

Here's what I think of it.

First off, it's quite different from Thomas's prototype that I saw last July in San Diego. The secondary hull is much smaller and "squished" into an oval when viewed from the front and rear. The deflector ring assembly behind the sensor dish actually flares outward going forward instead of being in an inward conical angle.

The smaller secondary hull also causes the engines pylons to be mounted lower, which in turn causes the engine pods to ride lower in relation to the saucer. The engine pods are also split horizontally, with top and bottom halves and a nice, long open seam dividing the red pennant and registry number on each nacelle.

The rest of the ship is not too bad off. The saucer looks pretty good, with the exception of three small, engraved 1/4" circles on the underside in the 8:30, 11:30 and 2:30 positions (reminiscent of the AMT "dimples").

No gridlines here. The wingtip navigation lights are red and green on both top and bottom. There are voices and sound effects to go along with the blinking lights and lit up power domes on the engines. The navigation lights cycle on and off at a very rapid rate, and the bridge dome and lower dome both light up.

This is the production version only. No option for the pilot versions (evidently, they will be sold separately in their own packaging).

Overall, it's still not too bad, but a little disappointing, nonetheless. Definitely not up to par with the other AA ship offerings

Sorry, no pictures, yet. The computer I'm using doesn't have photoshop or any way for me to edit pictures. I will be back home in a few days, so I will post some photos then, unless someone else beats me to it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's amazing how they can take a nearly perfect master pattern and screw it up like that. I had pretty high hopes for this replica.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Typical Art Asylum butchery. Another product of their's I will not buy. Let's see how the screw up the re-release of the Refit E from the Wrath of Khan.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Tsk Tsk Tsk guys.... ;)
At least AA is STILL continuing to make Star Trek products. I for one am going to get the 1701. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Good point, Huzz. They're NX-01 is pretty darned accurate, too. Pics of their Refit looked excellent, as well. Haven't seen their E-E, but the one pic I've seen of that looks pretty nice.

And the Phaser they produced is DaBomb! I need to get another one, as a matter of fact and replace the battery in the first one. :thumbsup:

TGel63 said:
Well, that is up to you. I won't waste the money. :mad:
And it's up to you not to buy whatever you don't want, as well. I'll definitely pick up their Refit, tho will wait to see what this TOS 1701 looks like in person before putting money out for it. I trust what Trek Ace says, so won't be ordering one from an online source as I'd originally planned to.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Griffworks said:
Good point, Huzz. They're NX-01 is pretty darned accurate, too. Pics of their Refit looked excellent, as well. Haven't seen their E-E, but the one pic I've seen of that looks pretty nice.

And the Phaser they produced is DaBomb! I need to get another one, as a matter of fact and replace the battery in the first one. :thumbsup:

I love their phaser too, it's a lot better than many MUCH higher priced replicas available over the years, and the NX lighting effects were pretty cool for $19.99. I'll be curious to see how the lights look, I can forgive a few inaccuracies if it looks cool overall. And it's still cheaper than most aftermarket lighting kits alone.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Griffworks said:
I'll definitely pick up their Refit, tho will wait to see what this TOS 1701 looks like in person before putting money out for it. .
I have looked high and low for a retailer that carries the ships. None of the retailers listed on AA's site has them. Where will you go to see it in person? Maybe there is a same retailer in my area :confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll correct myself and say their figures of Trek characters are fantastic, I will get the WOK figures from them. But their ships leave alot to be desired IMO only.

Locally, you might try a Newberry Comics, if you have one. They usually carry all the AA stuff.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think my local shop may get the AA TOS 1701 so I may be able to offer some first-hand observations. If I pick up one, I'll certainly post some pics. Although it may be a while before I can get my hands on one here and get you those pics.

Huzz

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
TGel63 said:
I'll correct myself and say their figures of Trek characters are fantastic, I will get the WOK figures from them. But their ships leave alot to be desired IMO only.

Locally, you might try a Newberry Comics, if you have one. They usually carry all the AA stuff.
Thanks, sadly, we don't have a Newberry Comic's store.
I did look at the comic stores we do have though. Still no ships. I really wonder how AA manages to stay in business since they don't advertise on Sat. morning cartoons and in other kid/collector related media. I would have never known about them if I didn't frequent the forums.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know it's atoy, not a model, but I was dissapointed by the HUGE seam lines on this ship. The paint colour also seems very dark.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Old_McDonald said:
I have looked high and low for a retailer that carries the ships. None of the retailers listed on AA's site has them. Where will you go to see it in person? Maybe there is a same retailer in my area :confused:
I got lucky and caught one locally at a comic/collectibles shop here in the local Little Rock area. Haven't seen one since, so will be trying to order thru an online distributor when I get around to ordering one. They pop up on e-Bay all the time, too.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Griffworks said:
I got lucky and caught one locally at a comic/collectibles shop here in the local Little Rock area. Haven't seen one since, so will be trying to order thru an online distributor when I get around to ordering one. They pop up on e-Bay all the time, too.
Thanks, I take it that you have seen one and are planning to buy one.

To all, anyone who can post pics of a production example is greatly appreciated. All retailers are showing the prototype I believe.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have the Phaser, NX-01, E-A, and E-E. I am pretty happy with them all, I would like another E-A so I can repaint it. The E-E looks great and IIRC REL says that (to a certain degree) he used it for reference in painting his 1/650th.
Griff, you said that you hadn't seen the E-E, so here is my E-E
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/Aa-E02.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/Aa-E01.jpg
NX-01 / E-A
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/HPIM1775.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/Enterprise048.jpg

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
I picked mine up yesterday. I was on the hook for it since I had it on pre-order.

Initial impressions are that it is somewhat disappointing given how nice Thomas Sassaer's protoype was. When I look at this I just cannot see the rationale behind the changes made. A larger and more correctly cylindrical secondary hull would also have allowed for more space for the batteries and circuitry. The nacelles are indeed a bit too low in relation to the saucer and to my eye they also look spaced a bit too far apart. I do like, though, that the nacelles are correctly aligned and do not droop like many of the old AMT kits did. Well, at least the nacelle alignment is fine on the one I got.

The running lights flash too quickly, but thats really nitpicking. I like the sound f/x even though a little more clarity would be appreciated. A few more sound f/x would have been nice too as the ones included are somewhat brief. OTH the white lights of the upper and lower sensor domes are really bright particularly in a room with all the lights out.

My final beef is that the parts' seams are so apparent and a bit uneven in spots. Mind you a decent modeler should be able to fix up some of those. If a decal set were available for this scale then one could go right ahead a clean up even more little gaffes with a thorough repaint.

Still we are looking at a toy here rather than a model kit and one quite different in price from the MR TOS Enterprise replica, and even that one isn't free of goofs from what I've seen and read online. Looked at in that context while it still could have been better I know that if I'd had something like this AA E replica available to me when I was 11 or 12 years old I'd have freaked with joy. Because in the end it still looks decent on display and those lights and sounds do bring it to life. The little boy in me still gets hyped up at the sight and sounds of the real starship Enterprise. And while falling short in some respects this toy still reaches me on a deep level that brings a stupid grin to my face.

And in fairness part of its appeal is that unlike many other collectibles this one is reasonably and fairly priced.

Now I just have to restrain myself from running through the house with this thing held aloft and me humming Star Trek music. That would really be a sign of full fledged geekdom. :lol:

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Warped9 said:
The little boy in me still gets hyped up at the sight and sounds of the real starship Enterprise. And while falling short in some respects this toy still reaches me on a deep level that brings a stupid grin to my face.

And in fairness part of its appeal is that unlike many other collectibles this one is reasonably and fairly priced.

Now I just have to restrain myself from running through the house with this thing held aloft and me humming Star Trek music. That would really be a sign of full fledged geekdom. :lol:
Completely and in TOTAL agreement! :thumbsup: :)
Here's a pic if any are interested.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts