Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a Friday! These just showed up from Japan:

This is the crowning jewel of all my small scale cars to date (not that I have that many) - the LAPITA edition 2000GT from October 2002:

And her racier sisters:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Wonderful cars and I really like your photo work as well.

You most likely know the history behind the race versions but here is a link to my two with a bit of background. I had a blast reading up on these cars, I knew very little before I bought the set.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=347459&highlight=Tomica+2000GT
Yep, I remember reading about Shelby's role in campaigning these cars and came across your post when I was looking to see who made 2000GTs. It was your post that got me to find the 2 SCCA cars on eBay. Thank you!

BTW, did you know that the #23 car was put up for auction this January for $1.7M? Not sure if it sold or not.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
How cool that I had a small part in you choosing these cars, makes me smile! I had no idea about the auction and I do keep my ear to the ground concerning vintage race cars. I am going to see if I can't find us an answer to this one!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Back in 2002 I hosted an event at the Toyota Museum in Torrance CA. Shin Yoshikawa was the main guest, and he invited Scooter Patrick and Dave Jordan as well as some other 2000GT people. I can post the write-up and pictures later if anyone is interested... ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back in 2002 I hosted an event at the Toyota Museum in Torrance CA. Shin Yoshikawa was the main guest, and he invited Scooter Patrick and Dave Jordan as well as some other 2000GT people. I can post the write-up and pictures later if anyone is interested... ;)
I'd love to read it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
At the time I was active in the Toyota Owner's and Restorer's Club (TORC) and writing the club newsletter. I'm still involved with TORC, but the club isn't too active these days except for the annual All Toyotfest which is held in Long Beach CA in May.

Here's my brief write-up.
I have to find my photos when I get home, so I'll post them up later...
(can't access Photobucket right now - there seems to be site issues. As soon as I can access some pix, I'll get them added here).

TOYOTA 2000GT – SHIN YOSHIKAWA MEETING
(originally published in the September 2002 issue of the TORC newsletter)

The Toyota 2000GT. Japan’s first real sports car. This rare & highly collectable Toyota has a loyal following as I was to learn. Let me start from the beginning…

About 2 years ago, while cruising the internet I came across a Japanese 2000GT website that mentioned a book that was due to be published later that year – “TOYOTA 2000GT: a complete history of Japan’s first supercar”. After waiting a few months, I noticed the scheduled publication date had past. I contacted the website owner, and asked if he had any information on the book. Shortly thereafter, the author, Shin Yoshikawa got in touch with me by phone. Shin is the Japan Bureau Chief of Sports Car International; he is a noted artist, photographer, & author (his articles have been featured in many Japanese magazines, including Nostalgic Hero). The 2000GT has been his passion for years, and he has spent much time researching information, finding long lost photos, forgotten sketches & blueprints; and he has interviewed the famous & the not so famous people involved with the 2000GT. And he lives just a few hours from Los Angeles. I have kept in touch with Shin since our first conversation and wanted to actually meet with him. Shin was gracious enough to accept my invitation, but he thought it would be a good idea to meet at the Toyota Vintage Vehicle Museum in Torrance… and invite some other people. I told Shin that was fine & I should be able to get a few people together. Then Shin said he had some guest speakers. Okay, now I needed to hustle – so I started inviting people, lots of people. I put out the word over the internet through my own website & others, including TORC & Toygarage.com. I made some phone calls & sent out some flyers to local TORC members. Word got out to Club 4AG. I only had a few weeks of preparation, but things were coming together.

Well, Sunday September 8th was our meeting, and I must say it was quite a success. Shin had invited along several honored guests: Dave Jordan & Scooter Patrick, the original drivers of the Shelby Toyota 2000GT race cars; Bob Tkacik, owner of Prime Toyota in Maine, & owner of nine 2000GT’s, including the #23 Shelby car; and Mr. Kiya, the president of Ebbro, manufacturer of fine diecast vehicles, including several versions of the 2000GT. (Also invited, but unable to attend was Craig Zinn, owner of fourteen 2000GT’s including the #33 Shelby car). I was still setting things up as the first guests were arriving – I had brought refreshments & my collection of 2000GT related items; including models, diecast cars, magazines and other collectables, as well as what I later learned is an original 2000GT brochure. There were well over 40 people in attendance, with more drifting in throughout the afternoon.. Shin had brought along some preview sample pages of his upcoming book, photo albums with historical pictures, magazines, Ebbro’s 1/24 scale 2000GT, and free handouts which included a pamphlet “The Beginning of Toyota Motorsports” and posters of the Shelby cars (which Dave & Scooter happily signed for everyone). While Shin only spoke briefly to the crowd, he was busy answering questions throughout the afternoon. Dave & Scooter talked about their racing days with the 2000GT, which only lasted a year & then Toyota quit its SCCA effort. Bob told us about his passion for the 2000GT & his experiences with the cars over the years. He said the cars are still meant to be driven – fast & hard, but not to hard! (Bob also mentioned that between he & Craig, they have probably owned over half the 2000GT’s in the USA). After the ‘presentation’ part of the meeting, the guest speakers mingled with the crowd & everyone looked over the three 2000GT’s in the museums collection.

A few days after the meeting Shin called me & said he really enjoyed the meeting & was very pleased with the whole event. With luck, Shin promised to attend TORC’s next meet in May at the Queen Mary. Later this year Shin is going to Japan to promote his book. Shin tells me there are several major events scheduled to take place (and both Toyota & Yamaha will be involved) & there will be lots of media coverage. Then in January & February he will have book signings in the LA area. Shin will be keeping me posted as to what transpires over the next few months & I’ll be relaying that information to the rest of TORC as it becomes available.

All in all this was a very well received and successful event. I would like to thank Shin & his guests for taking the time to participate in this ‘last minute’ gathering. I would also like to thank everyone who attended, especially the members of TORC, Club 4AG & My Toyota Garage. I was approached by several people asking when the next event would be scheduled. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for future events, please feel free to contact any of the TORC board members, and maybe we can have more of these types of events in the future.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What an amazing event. Thanks for posting your write up Toyotageek. Looking forward to pics of the event once PB is back up and running. (On a side note, I recommend you switch over to flickr - it's free and much better than PB IMHO.)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
What an amazing event. Thanks for posting your write up Toyotageek. Looking forward to pics of the event once PB is back up and running. (On a side note, I recommend you switch over to flickr - it's free and much better than PB IMHO.)
Thanks, glad you liked the story.

(I've actually got both services.
I'll check if I have them on my Flickr account too, if not I, I'll try to find them on CD and upload them.)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Finally found my pictures. Looks like I lost the originals when my computer crashed several years ago. I had these pictures saved at a lower resolution, so they aren't the greatest.

L to R - Dave Jordan, Mr. Kiya from Ebbro, Bob Tkacik, Scooter Patrick and Shin Yoshikawa.

These are the three 2000GT which are in the Toyota collection in Torrance...

The gold 2000GT was red when it was purchased by the museum. While researching the museum cars, Mr. Yoshikawa discovered this car was originally given to the model Twiggy (if you don't know who Twiggy was, Google her to find out). The car was eventually restored to it's original color by Mr. Yoshikawa.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Some of the crowd that came for the days presentation...

The speakers at their table

Dave speaking

Scooter speaking

Bob speaking

Some goodies I brought for display

I know I've got more pix. As soon as I can dig them up I'll post them. I need to get them all together and posted on my website one day.... :drunk:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts